I need help

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

I need help

Post by Guest »

I have a question, my friend has a branko female from canada. the sire is champion lumber jack. The dam is branko coco chanel. he says the dog has 3 crosses of jack of trades in a 4 generation pediree. Anyway to get to the point. he want to sell it for $1000. yep $1000! can you believe this. she is a good dog, she can jump and run good. do you think she is worth it. I never paid more than $200 for a dog. Is he trying to get over on me.

Joe West

Post by Joe West »

No he's not trying to put opne over on you. You don't give the age of the hound but for a GOOD broke hound that's not a bad price. Just be sure to have plenty of oppertunity to see the hound in the field so he can prove his worth.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Guest, I'd pay that for an own daughter of Lumberjack. If she's not extremely faulty, I don't know how you can go wrong. You could sell her tomorrow and get your money back. You could make one well-advised breeding and pay for her easily. You pay for a good dog, you pay for a good pedigree, and you will get paid for both.

Even a good seasoned gundog with good hunt, that doesn't run trash, hunts where you want him to and handles nicely is worth $500-$600 with no papers. :cool:

Ed

I need Help

Post by Ed »

Heck, I have a FTC for sale, $3,500 will take him. Some of the better Branko blood around, in my opinion as well as others. But,,,, I don't expect my phone to ring off the hook. But just in case, the # is 802-244-8507. I will have to say that just like a lot of other things, and dogs are no exception, you usually get what you pay for. Although some folks can go over board, maybe. You need to do some thinking and watching, thanks.

stanimals2

Post by stanimals2 »

YOU PEOPLE BUMPED YOU HEADS

bowhunter59

i

Post by bowhunter59 »

i'll run my dogs with ur 3500$ dog and bet money mine will pick up check and maybe even get the jump and i pd 200$ for her she is akc 4yr old a man near me has raised his own line and they r good have a little male 11 inch pd 400 for him and he's a dandy too but for 1000$ i wouldnt call him a very good friend!but anything is worth what u can get someone to pay so if i were him i would perk up that price!
god is so good!

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

bowhunter59, right you are! A dog is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I want to ask anybody on this board to think hard about their very best rabbit hound, past or present - papered or not. Would you sell it to me for $200? Not just any beagle, now, the BEST rabbit dog you ever owned. What would it have taken to lead it out of your back yard and load into my truck?

I've got a grade male in my backyard right now that didn't cost me a nickle (he's in my avatar), he's going on 8 years old and $1,000 wouldn't buy him. He's not very pretty, not very fast, and he may bite you if you sneak up behind him and try to pick him up, but he's consistently one helluva little rabbit dog with more heart than any I've seen.

Maybe I have bumped my head, but I am always amazed at how undervalued good hunting beagles are. I can spend $1,000 on a vacation in Cancuun and what do I have to show for it? Four days of sitting in a pile of sand.....pretty sand mind you, but sand just the same. If that same $1,000 bought me a hunting beagle that brought me ten years worth of pleasure, which was my better bargain? That's a no-brainer to me. :bigsmile:

Bsbowhunter

Shooting myself in the foot here....

Post by Bsbowhunter »

Bev, what words of wisdom. I agree, a real rabbit dog that carries FEW flaws is worth its weight in gold (so to speak) :approve: . Whenever I see these awesome broke dogs in the classifieds, being sold for pennies, I usually assume "there is more to this dog than the add claims" :bomb: . Anyway, the value placed on a decade+ worth of pleasure and companionship is certainly worth that asking price. I just hope we don't talk up dog prices by these posts. Many of you remember, I posted a month ago about paying $600 bucks for a pup. I have gotten over my hestitation and concern and believe I found one of hell of a bargin. This hound will be the keystone to my breeding program and carries the conformation & looks that will draw envious stares. If the strong line bred bloodlines hold true, this pup will smoke a rabbit and do so with few flaws. (time will tell) So, without rambling, I say to the original post, if the dog meets the Branko standard that we've all grown to admire and respect, regardless whether it's in our format and/or style, it's worth every cent.

bowhunter59

BEV

Post by bowhunter59 »

OK BEV GOOD POINT THERE THats hurt me cause i have a fresh wound i sold a dog i had for 150$ grade dog man she was a dandy but guy bo8ught 3 of my dogs dang near wiped me out and i been crying since !i bought them fairly cheap and the ones i sold were all grade dogs but when i carried those 3 out with others they would say who's red dog is that i woud say with a smile MINE!AND ME BEING A BIG DUMMY SOLD HER F0R A FEW MEASLEY BUCKS PROFIT BUT NOW I THINK HOW MUCH WILL I SPEND TO FIND A DOG THAT GOOD!BUT AS FAR A BRANKO GOES I'VE HEARD SO AWFUL THINGS ABOUT THOSE DOGS AROUND HERE I DONT KNOW MYSELF BUT HAD SOME TRAINERS AROUND HERE DIDNT LIKE THEM AT ALL!
god is so good!

larry

1000.00 vacation

Post by larry »

A $1000.00 vacation in cancuun all you could do is sit in the sand.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Larry, you sure won't buy many drinks or food, huh? Been there - done that. My tan is gone and my Spanish is rusty. :(

wvrabbithunter

MY DOG

Post by wvrabbithunter »

I have a grade dog here that i have had for three years and he is starting to shine,why would anyone want to sell their best dog????this dog is part of me when i am hunting we are a team and it only took me three years to get him to work with me,the way i want a dog to hunt,i did not pay anything for the dog but i have three years in training him i could not put a price on him,it might be me but tell me dose any real rabbit hunter sell their best dog????

Post by Guest »

First off everyone has their own idea of a good dog. I guarantee you my idea of a good dog is not everyone's idea of a good dog. A $1000 is not a bad price if the dog fits your needs. I currently have two grade dogs, one cost me $100 as a started 1yr old and the other was given to me as a 2yr old that got started through a month in a training pen as a pup. The two year old was from a pair that my friend had and one got ran over so he just give me the other. I have only had one deer chase with this hound and it was a sight chase. Once the deer got over the hill 'ol Jack came back and fell right in more rabbit. He probably wouldn't live up to some peoples standards, cause he is hot nosed and med-slow speed and did chase a deer once, but for me he is priceless. As for my $100 dog, Patches, he is a little different to. Never chased a deer but if he don't find any rabbits after a while you can bet on him treeing a squirrel, but he has only do this when hunted by himself. Other than that, his big fault is he will babble a little on a cold track till he gets going in the right direction. Hey that don't bother me, cause I no longer hunt them separate. They hunt as one. They are a team. I'm sure they can be beat by much better dogs but for what I want in a hunting dog they are close to perfect for ME(get some rabbits up, make a kill if I want the meat to eat, keep away from as much trash as possible, but more importantly just enjoy watching and listening to them do what they were bred to do and what they enjoy doing) . Can't call either one of them off a track but that don't bother me cause no one else can either and to me thats OK. Basically to me the price of a dog is what the buyer is willing to pay for what he needs and make HE/SHE HAPPY. I would pay quite a bit for my two if I got to see them and hunt over them where as somebody else may not take them if I was giving them away.

BlueJack

Post by BlueJack »

OOOPS!!! I forgot to sign in after I lost connection...The long winded guest...well...that would be me.
Jeff Driver

ACOMEAU

need help

Post by ACOMEAU »

For $1,000 that dog better become the best dog you ever owned :!: The reason most of us would never sell the best dog we ever owned is because we had a bond with it, that no money could buy. So anyone who says they will sell you the best dog they ever owned is lying :!: The best dog does not mean it was the best at running rabbits, but more importantly it had some sentimental value to you. I have had dogs that I would have never sold for all the money in the world that were decent gun dogs. Others that were better I have givin away! If the dog is everything it needs to be then hey pay the price if you want. But selling a dog for $1,000 because of its pedigree is what is wrong with the beagle world today :cry: