seeking permission to run the dogs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ant

seeking permission to run the dogs

Post by ant »

there is alot of nice places to run dogs around were i live.

i have a nice place behind the high school that has a hedge about 100' long ..good for a few rabbits.

but what about some hot-spots in my area that are not public area?

i can see it now ...i knock on the door ....ask permission to run my beagles ...and the person looks at me like i beed drinking!!!

how do you go about it?

anthony

Big Dog

running dogs

Post by Big Dog »

My rationale is make em say no,
I will ask anyone, and I no longer take into consideration that they might say no. There are only two answers that they can give yes or no, and with me I make them tell me know. You will never know unless you ask. Here is a perfect example, I have passed a good looking spot everyday for the last 6 months on the way to the babysitter to drop off my son. One day I saw the guy in the yard and pulled over and asked him if he would allow me to run my dogs. He said " help yourself" and proceeded to tell me that there were plenty of rabbits on his place and deer too. He also said he wouldn't charge me anything. I don't gun hunt this place because it is full of rabbits and I know I can always jump 5 or 6 rabbits within 2 or 3 hours, which is important when training pups. If I had not asked I would have never known.

Just my two cents

Big Dog
Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and a few others bringing smoke

New York Hillbilly

Ask

Post by New York Hillbilly »

Ant,
As a land owner I applaud you! To have a person that is concerned about how to ask is quite a twist these days. I have no problem with a person asking me and I often grant permission. At times I even ask to go along to watch. What I and many of the other local land owners hate is for people to just take it upon themselves to wander where ever and when ever they want. :twisted: I hear people complaining about my land being posted yet have never had a soul show up at tax time when I have to dole out 5000 dollars a year for the priveledge of keeping it! I have asked people in the past how they would like it if they woke up and found me sitting in their backyard with a gun in my hands. So my backyard is bigger than yours, Big Deal, it's still my backyard! And I should have the right to say who can and know who is walking around back there. For the most part people are good about asking to hunt, however things have been getting worse the past few years. And believe it or not the problem has been from adjoining land owners, not from hunters. Again Ant, hats off to you and if you get up this way sometime I'll show you some good running. Just cause you asked!

Peace,
NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

Ant:

Would you believe that for the rest of the rabbit season, my problem is going to be not hurting people's feelings because I could not squeeze a hunt in with them? This is not a problem I acquired over night! It often takes several years to establish connections. My problem for several years involved finding snake-free running during the warmer half of the year. In my quest, I ended up joining a beagle club where I met a man, who, after three years, became a close enough friend to invite me to join his hunting club which is "red land" and relatively free from poisonous snakes. Regarding the promising places you see in your daily travels: Many times a common friend can get you in. First, I try to find out who owns the land, if anyone in their family hunts, etc. A little leg work can prevent the awkward situation you described. If your friend will not ask for permission for you, try to get the friend to simply introduce the land owner to you. THE BEST WAY TO KEEP PLACES TO RUN IS TO MAINTAIN A GOOD REPUTATION AND TO BECOME KNOWN FOR KEEPING SUPERIOR BEAGLES! Respect the property you are allowed to hunt - be meticulous in opening/closing gates, do not damage (even unintentionally!) fences, and other personal property of the landowner, leave no sign (no guts, fur, or hulls) you have been there - share the rabbits you take with the landowner or at least offer to - be willing to spend some time "visiting" with the landowner, if he or she is elderly, offer to help with work around the farm - and most of all: DON'T WEAR OUT YOUR WELCOME! Take your freinds and acquaintances hunting and running with you. When they ask about going again tell them you have the dogs if they can find a good place to go. Often, you will meet people hunting who will invite you to come to their hunt grounds. This is almost a guaranteed result for the beagle owner who is polite and fun to hunt with - especially if the dogs the best the person has ever seen! It may take several years to have a dependable supply of running grounds but you sure do not want to lose them as fast as you get them. Good luck in your search!

Big Dog

permission to run

Post by Big Dog »

Chuck you made a very good point that I left out. I always try leave the place that I hunt in better condition than when I got there. I always offer the land owners game if they like it, and yes I clean it up nice and put it in a freezer bag for them. I have one guy with 400 acres who doesn't charge me a cent to hunt, he just wants a couple of rabbits every now and then, and of course I make sure he gets them. The key is courtesy always be kind, even if they say no. I have been living in NC for 4 years and I already have more places to hunt than most of my buddies who are natives. Research, courtesy and persistence are they keys.

It works for me

Big Dog
Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and a few others bringing smoke

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

ant, if you are too bashful to go to the door and there are a lot of folks that can not do that, I make this suggestion that has helped me over the years.
Most people have moved off the farms and into the cities. Sometimes the land has been handed down to them by a family member that died and they live far away and never or seldom see it.
Drive around and look for pieces of land large enough for you to hunt that look good for rabbits but also look uncared for. They seem to go hand in hand.
Make yourself a map showing cross roads or neighbors addresses so you can find that piece of property on a plot map. Go to the County courthouse and go to Planning and zoning. Ask them to find the legal description for that piece of propeerty. Take the legal description to the tax assessors office and ask them to tell you who is paying the taxes and their address. Both of these must be given you as they are public record and you have a right to go get them yourself, but they will usually help you as they do not want you goofing up their files and records.
Write them and send a self stamped envelope and a permission paper all filled out with only their signature missing. You'll be pleasently surprised at the welcomed response. Tell them you will watch out for their property and report and thing they should know. Send a picture of any structures or just the property to evoke long forgotten memories.
Send also a release from you of any liability.
Like the others said, be courteous and grateful. Good luck.

bowhunter59

good

Post by bowhunter59 »

man that was good info there john i think i'll use that myself i do that in looking for houses to buy so why not for hunting land that was great !
god is so good!