Size of dog box

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Rob

Size of dog box

Post by Rob »

How big does the sleeping part of an above ground kennel need to be. Seems to me smaller would be better to for heat conservation. How big if you were going to put two dogs in.

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

They like to "pile up" - just big enough for two dogs - 30" X 36" maybe? You might get by on 24" X 30" if the dogs are "buddies".

ant

Post by ant »

what would be the minimum size for 1 dog?

anthony

Beagle Bum

Post by Beagle Bum »

I live in the South but we still get a few really cold nights from time to time so I built mine specifically for those nights.
Mine are 4' long by 15" high by 16" wide. I have a door at one end that is about an 8" opening and a divider with a hole cut into it just past the door. I also put a removable divider at the center of the remaining space. I try to house at least two or three dogs together per run in the winter time. They do a better job of keeping each other warm this way.
It doesn't take a lot of space for a beagle or two to curl up together. Now you guys live up north (alright - up North) where it gets a lot colder for longer periods of time so I would think that small would be even more important up there. As for Anthony, I think I'd consider putting in some type of artificial heat (a 60 watt light in a small confined area should work), keep the box well protected from the wind and well insulated. Of course you could always use this as an excuse for getting a second hound.
I'm no expert but that is the approach I'd take if I ever had to live up there again. Hope this helps.
Let's Count Our Blessings, Not Our Problems!!

NC Beagler

Post by NC Beagler »

I say the minimum for a 1 dog box would be 1 1/2 times the dog's height X 1 1/2 times the dog's length.

BlueJack

Post by BlueJack »

I have two dogs kenneled together in a box that is 20"w-30"l-20"h. They curl up, nearly overlapping each other, when it very cold...but then again they also curl up together in the summer when they are sleeping under the stars. Might not want one that small if they are not friends but mine are definately pals. I also put a piece of old carpet over the door with a small slit up the middle just big enough for them to climb in and out of the box. I think with a piece of carpet over the door you could get by with a bigger box. And if it is a homemade box and the corners are a little drafty you can go to wal-mart and buy a can of foam sealant with an extended spray tip and fill in the cracks. These are some things that seem to work for me though.