Not Running

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kenjames

Not Running

Post by kenjames »

Guys it is apparent none of us are doing a lot of running. I will tell you this heat stuff is taking a toll on us older guys and the weatherman isn't helping a lot. Was sitting here watching tv see to what is next and they are predicting another batch of storms and the temps are to be in the triple digits with heat index heading above 115. Think I will move a little closer to the AC , you know this did not use to seem to bother me, but things are different now. You think I may be getting old? lol! The storm that came through Sunday left its impact and we finally got our electric power back at 4:00pm today and it has been rough. Reminded me of the old days, we slept with doors and windows open and didn't worry about the all the wild animals roaming around. People included. Wish I had great big tale to share about all the running I have had, but will save that for later. Hope you guys are having a great summer. I am seeing a bunch of baby rabbits and that gives me a thrill.
Camp Hill Kennels: Home to Lemon and White Beagles

Swampman

Re: Not Running

Post by Swampman »

We're going through drought conditions up here, we need rain bad!
On top of that, now the wildfires that Canada is allowing to burn has put our air quality at a hazardous level. It's like a dense fog and they're saying we should stay indoors, even people without any health conditions.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Its been cooler than normal here in East Tn. There was drought conditions in early spring. Saw a graph on TV the other day. It's rained enough in the last couple of weeks to overcome the drought. They are predicting rain for the next few days. The only excuse I have is my age and a lack of rabbits. I went a a couple days ago and only got up young rabbits. They ran for about thirty minutes and never got more than a hundred ft from the jump. It crawled around in a briar patch.
Coyotes are thicker than rabbits. Always a chance of losing your dogs. I lost two young dogs last year. This time of year the vegetation is so thick the Coyotes don't have to worry about being detected until its too late.

The smoke from Canada is affecting us also. Very hazy all around today.

R. Dana Robinson

Post by R. Dana Robinson »

I haven't been running.
Most of the reason is that back in late March I had a total knee replacement and recovery has not been as quick as I had imagined.
I've turned the girls lose four times in the last 3 1/2 months. I've had to go to spots where I can walk on a gravel farm road or sit on the tail gate and listen. Not able to go busting brush ,jumping creeks or climbing fences at this point.
In 50 years of keeping hounds this is the least running and longest interval of not running. I think it bothers me and the dogs about the same. Can't wait for Fall.
Last week or so the temps have finally hit the summer temps and the humidity. Don't much care about running in this weather anyways.

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

Lost my best jump dog while birthing pups. Kinda put the hit on me and haven't ran at all in the last month. Has been extremely dry in southern IL. We did just get a couple of small rains but another inch or two wouldn't hurt us. Have been seeing several little and grown rabbits so that's a plus. My rotation for night shift is coming up so maybe on my nights off I can go run the dogs a bit while the family is all sleeping.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie