Puppy Starting

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hippy

Puppy Starting

Post by Hippy »

This is from a older post and the phone # is no longer any good--wondering if the is still in the business of starting pups

"Mr Huggins has decided to begin starting pups in his new puppy pens. This man is avid outdoors man and a world class archer in addition to being a great houndsman. He has spent the last two years building 2 puppy pen in which he plans to start pups for a fee of $7.50 a day. This training is one on one with the pups and not just if he even uses the .75 acre open pen with many brush piles for the sighting chance pen. He prefers the larger 4 acre pen to simulate hunting situations. It is open fields with cut paths and heavy wooded and brush on 2.5 acres of it.
The $7.50 includes feed unless you have a preference on feed type then you can supply it. Paul is an honest man and when he tells you one on one training you can bank on it. No puppy training dogs will be used just good old fashion training and no putting them over the fence to do their own thing.
Pens are full of rabbits so it will not be a problem on finding them. He also sells training rabbits.
He is located in Dilliner, Pa about 60 miles south of Pittsburgh in Greene County. And his name is Paul Huggins or Mr. Huggins as we all call him due to the respect that the man deserves.(724) 324-2942 "

Thanx

Jim

gfedor

Re: Puppy Starting

Post by gfedor »

Just curious if anyone still starts and conditions the hounds in the nj,ny,Delaware ,pa area

Mike McPherson

Post by Mike McPherson »

I start pups, run and condition dogs. Many Many years of experience and as many references as you would like. Philadelphia NY 315 405-3008
Hunt-Em-Up Kennels

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Thanks mike.
Mike you still breeding, what line?

Mike McPherson

Post by Mike McPherson »

Running a beagle hound cross. The sire was a male out of the breeding I have had for years. The dam a coonhound blue-tic, 20" deep snow hare hounds. a lot of nose handle like labs cold trailing machines. I like them pretty well not perfect but I never seen one that was. Ran a lot of days this year 5 to 6 a week had just 2 days they struggled to circle seen a lot of different conditions. 2 years old I will continue to feed them.
Hunt-Em-Up
Hunt-Em-Up Kennels