Got a lemon

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

TVE1998

Got a lemon

Post by TVE1998 »

Bred my linebred
KIMG0425.jpg
KIMG0425.jpg (211.85 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
green bay male to my laneline/Perry female and this little guy popped out. The rest are all tricolored and ticked like there daddy. Went into this wanting a female now I ended up with two, can't let the little guy go. Guess it's time to expand the kennel.

Mike Gibeaut

Re: Got a lemon

Post by Mike Gibeaut »

Don’t know where it comes from I bred my Shooter female to Butkus all blanket back like sire and dam got a male red and white
Mike Gibeaut
Listen to your Dogs With Your Ears Watch Them With Your Eyes Leave your Ego At Home

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Yep, Keep that Lemon, I had that happen to me over 25 years ago! I had a litter of all red/tan/white weir creeks, everyone of them pups, made Gun Dogs! They didn't care about running anything, but a rabbit! The Lemon, I name her "hart" she was the best one in the litter and live to be 12 years old, I breed her several times and she would have 8 pups, when breed to my solid Red males. litter would be half her color, and half reds.

Rest in peace Hart!!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :angel:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Pretty puppies. A good example of how recessives pop up when mixing the genes. Each of your parent hounds carry the recessive absent the black. Usually any coloring darkens with some age, so you puppy could end up tan or red/white. Most likely he will have a black nose and dark eye, maybe his pads will be dark also.
While coloring has nothing to do with the hunting quality we strive for, there's nothing wrong with having hounds that please your eye.
Congrats on your new litter...

TVE1998

Post by TVE1998 »

Thanks for the comments, he is a nice acting pup. His eyes,nose, paws are already dark.