17 Gauge Galvanized Apron Fence

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Slaux

17 Gauge Galvanized Apron Fence

Post by Slaux »

Red Brand 17" Gauge Galvanized Apron Fence. 150' long - 60" or 70" high. This is the fence that we beagle clubs have been using for 75 plus years. Personally I think it was superior to any other, including the coated wire which isn't nearly as strong. I tried ordering some more the last couple of days and can't find it - ANYWHERE. I called Red Brand directly and they stated they quit making it over a year ago with no future plans to make it again. My questions: - if anyone has some of this collecting dust - I'd buy it if your selling. Being that is unlikely, what are clubs and individuals doing for a solution? Byrne Fence is advertised in Better Beagling and I used some of this in the past. I believe they previously sold the galvanized, but it looks like they only carry the rubber coated now?

Slaux

Re: 17 Gauge Galvanized Apron Fence

Post by Slaux »

I checked with Byrne Fence that used to handle the coated wire. He’s out of business. Any suggestions?

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

Other than Byrne the places we have used are Louis Page and Riverdale Mills which are both in Mass. I believe the only apron fencing they sell is coated though. You can get regular fencing in just galvanized i believe, but 16ga would be the closest size in the height and opening size that might work for your needs. The price of fencing has really gone up though. Expect to get sticker shock when you see the prices anymore. Both places i mentioned have websites and i believe at least Riverdale Mills states they will custom make fencing if the size you are looking for isn't listed. There is another place i haven't dealt with, but found searching the internet a while back called Critter fence i believe. Maybe they are worth looking into also. Good luck!

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Didn’t have any luck with Louise Page either. Thanks though. I’ll try the ones u mentioned.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

I haven't had any luck finding the old 17 gauge Apron Fence Beagle wire. I need a 1/2 dozen rolls for next year. Sadly Red Brand doesn't make it anymore. If anyone knows of anything of equal or better quality let me know. The coated stuff is close, but the galvanized was a much better product.

pztrailman

Post by pztrailman »

This coated but it is 17 gauge. https://www.facebook.com/groups/7406060 ... 8400850837
If you can't open the link up here is the phone 513-739-1006.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't open it, but I'll try the number.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I opened the FB page and got nothing other than the name of the administrator so thought I had to join the group BUT that is still pending. Is this still a viable group?

pztrailman

Post by pztrailman »

I just clicked on the link and it opened for me. I would say it is still a viable group. I copied what is on Facebook minus the pictures.

Top quality enclosure wire 17 gauge PVC coated 5' X 150' has 1' apron to keep the critters from digging in. 1" hex will keep even the little rabbits from getting out. References available 200 rolls in stock however orders are coming in quickly I will reorder when my stock gets low. I can ship wire directly to your location. Price starts at $180 per roll with discounts given based on quantity ordered. [hidden information]
$180
Mt Orab, OH
Top quality enclosure wire 17 gauge PVC coated 5' X 150' has 1' apron to keep the critters from digging in. 1" hex will keep even the little rabbits from getting out. References available 200 rolls in stock however orders are coming in quickly I will reorder when my stock gets low. I can ship wire directly to your location. Price starts at $180 per roll with discounts given based on quantity ordered. 513-739-1006

John Williams

Post by John Williams »

Who did you end up getting the fence through? I need some also and dont know where to get it.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

WOW !!
Just read this post and was floored by the $180.00 a roll price tag for the enclosure fencing.
I bought 20 rolls of the 50 x 150 galvanized apron fencing from Louis Page in Massachusetts in 1993 or '94 and paid $75.00 a roll !
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

warddog

Post by warddog »

I agree with Shady grove as I was thinking of fencing in about 10 acres about that time. I went back to look at my notebook where I kept the information on it and found apron fence prices from $70.00, $73.95 and $76.80 from three different places. I found a price at our local Rural King some years later at $100.oo even and the last time I checked which is several years ago it was $139.00 a roll at Rural King So Sorry I didn't get that project done at that time.