most desired trait

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bunnytracks

most desired trait

Post by bunnytracks »

and where to find it?

gfedor

Re: most desired trait

Post by gfedor »

I'm sure you'll get a lot of different answers.
Here are mine:
Hunt/grit
Nose
Mouth
Tight on line/ always moving forward.

Where to get? I'm a firm believer in line breeding. If you you line breed you will get mostly what want out of the line, good and bad. Any reputable hounds man's will do selective breeding hopefully to try to improve the line.
Cull hard.
If you speak to anyone line breeding for years , he will tell you what to expect out of certain littlers.
Tim Kahl, Highrock beagles of NC,line breeds several strains of wiercreek , he will and can tell you how almost every litter will turn out., . He is just an example, I'm sure others that line breed will do the same

TRK

Post by TRK »

Extreme Hunt. Dogs that will dig in to the thickest nastiest cover. I wish I knew where I could find it.

Jim Stinnett

Post by Jim Stinnett »

HUNT!
BRIAR BUSTEN BEAGLES
jstinnett@upgen.us
AKC & NKC REGISTERED BEAGLES
LAKE VILLAGE, IN
HOME OF: BRIAR BUSTEN SKEETER
PCH CHAMPION / GRAND SHOW CHAMPION

bunnytracks

Post by bunnytracks »

I agree, but it seems like some don't breed for that? and it is hard to find dogs that have that aggressive(as I call it) hunt....seem like 10years ago this was not the problem?

bunnytracks

Post by bunnytracks »

I agree, but it seems like some don't breed for that? and it is hard to find dogs that have that aggressive(as I call it) hunt....seem like 10years ago this was not the problem?

kwolf

Post by kwolf »

Brains , desire, brains, stamina, brains, nose, brains, mouth, and brains. If a dog does'nt have brains nothing else matters !! JMO

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

The Older I get the more my hounds HAVE TOO HUNT !

I also want have a Trash running hound, just Will Not breed anything that goes Looking for Trash !

Friend of mine was quoted the other day that he Would Not have a "daddy rabbit" breed hound? when ask Why not, he said they Hunt too Hard for him?

This fellow made it a point to advise me what Wayne had said about my Gun Dogs.. I though it was a Complement kind of like that in my hounds..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Ability to run the line with minimal losses, tight in the check area, conformation (not wide bodied but not to slim either, leggy) with tight feet, hunt/search, bidability (handle), appropriate mouth for conditions, color.

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

Send one of those dogs up north here
Aubrey Holcombe wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:35 am
The Older I get the more my hounds HAVE TOO HUNT !

I also want have a Trash running hound, just Will Not breed anything that goes Looking for Trash !

Friend of mine was quoted the other day that he Would Not have a "daddy rabbit" breed hound? when ask Why not, he said they Hunt too Hard for him?

This fellow made it a point to advise me what Wayne had said about my Gun Dogs.. I though it was a Complement kind of like that in my hounds..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :check:
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

High class conformation is my most desired trait, simply because it is so rare in field hounds now. It’s actually not that common in show beagles today either, in my opinion.

steve w

Post by steve w »

I know what I like in confirmation but would you describe "high class " confirmation Beagle Huntsman and or the difference between field and show.

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

I think of high class being a hound the has the physical refinement that takes it a notch above good conformation. It has the full package as defined by the Standard for the breed. A lot of hounds from the 1920s and 30s had that, before the split between field and show. High class is a hound that moves so well it seems to cover ground effortlessly, and has enough bone to hang sufficient muscle, but not so much bone as to make the hound cumbersome, which is the problem I see with many show beagles today. Because hunting hounds with this level of conformity are so rare, that would be the most desired trait for me, followed closely by brains, nose, search, etc etc.

Newt

Post by Newt »

gfedor wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:49 pm
I'm sure you'll get a lot of different answers.
Here are mine:
Hunt/grit
Nose
Mouth
Tight on line/ always moving forward.
You are right. It depends on the owner and the game/terrain.

If it doesn't have nose, hunt, accurate mouth, stamina, sense of direction, and determination then what good is it for hunting. It may win a field trial, on a given day, but if it can't do it in the field day after day in about all conditions, IMO, its worthless.

bunnytracks

Post by bunnytracks »

where to find such?