Possible false pregnancy ???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kwolf

Possible false pregnancy ???

Post by kwolf »

A good friend of mine bred his female on her last heat cycle , he bred her 4 times during the cycle. She showed all the signs of being pregnant but for some reason has not had any pups and today would have been day 66 from the last breeding. A couple days ago she had some discharge come out of her that was green and yellow , she has never quit eating , she has no temperature and she shows no sign of being stressed. He said now he does'nt think she has any pups in her, I seen this female 2 weeks ago and she looked very much pregnant. What do think happened , has anyone had an experience like this ? Please post anything that you think could help. THANKS

Newt

Re: Possible false pregnancy ???

Post by Newt »

I have a nine year old bitch. I bred her last year,2017, and she had no pups. I bred her again this year, April 2018. She is kinda big but I was never sure that she was pregnant. The sixty third day came and no pups. On the 72 day from mating she had one "big" male pup.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

We had a coonhound female go 70 days from last breeding.....she appeared pregnant, but not as big as the 9 pups she had.

I also had an older female go 68 from last breeding....as earlier said...one pup was born....even had an xray on her by vet at 50 days and he said...no pups...go figure......

If she is stressing I would not react yet....my opinion.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

I had a female go like 72 days once. She had two huge pups and one tiny one, but there was no question she was pregnant. Hard to say without seeing her and knowing the dog. Green and yellow discharge is not normal and typically, not a good sign unless pups are coming out imminently. With that color discharge, tells me she either was or is carrying at least one pup. I'm guessing she passed a still born pup and ate it. If she's acting normal I'd wait it out, but if she shows the slightest sign of distress bring her in. The other thing you could do is put her on some antibiotics. If you don't have any on hand, buy some.