MULTIFLORA

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

MULTIFLORA

Post by guest »

Does any one no if you can buy multiflora seeds
how and where I live in eastern kentucky

Craig Tull

Multiflora Rose

Post by Craig Tull »

Guest,

Multiflora Rose was invented by Purdue University years ago to act as fence rows for cattle/livestock. As we all know a thick row is almost impossible to get through and cattle just wouldn't try it. The only problem that they didn't realize is that the birds would eat the multiflora roses' red seed/flower then fly away to the neighbors house and deposit the after effects which carried the undigested seed, which mixed with bird turds,made a new crop. The farmers loved it. It was cheap and didn't take the time and upkeep that fence does, the neighbors with nice yards and pastures weren't so fond of it. I am sure that multiflora rose is illegal to sell now due to the afterthought. If you are interested in getting some going, go find a good patch of it and pick the red seeds and do it yourself. The good thing it doesn't take much and it spreads like wild fire.

Hope this helps.

Craig Tull
Ty Chy's Kennels
Lafayette Indiana

New York Hillbilly

multiflora rose

Post by New York Hillbilly »

Craig,
Thank you for the wonderful idea! I have been harassed for the past few years by a neighbor/land owner who is not satisfied with "his" hundreds of acres. This clown each deer and turkey season gets the "grass is always greener" mentality and trespasses all over our land. This from a guy who spends day after day screaming and yelling about people trespassing on his land. Rest assure nobody would dare go near his property because he is not only in my opinion unbalanced but is also dangerous. I have had police and game wardens at his house on numerous occassions after I had been shot at on my own land. Who is doing the shooting and why they are so reckless is anybody's guess. But, I suspect it is one of his crew if not the guy himself. No matter who it is that has been causing me such problems I have had enough. I was even considering selling and moving out all together. I thought of fencing in the property but a couple hundred acres requires alot of fence. And there is no doubt in my mind they would vandalize it out of shear meanness. The idea of multiflora rose however just might work. I have trialed dogs in Pennsylvania in this stuff and saw it cut hounds to ribbons! I would certainly never attempt to crawl through the stuff myself for love or money. Maybe if I can get my mits on some of the seed you mention I could plant it all along my back border where our properties join. If I could cover the old stone fence with this natural razor wire I might be saved a bunch of aggravation and unwanted company come next deer season. It would be nice to feel safe on my own land again, something I have not in a long time. Thanks again for the good idea and the feeling of hope, I needed it!

Peace,
New York Hillbilly
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!