Refusal to hunt !!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BMBeagles

Refusal to hunt !!!

Post by BMBeagles »

Ive noticed certain bloodlines refuse to hunt in less then ideal senting conditions or when soloed . Turn them loose and they stand on the paths eating grass ! But have demonstrated exceptional skills at times .anyone have any opinions on what causes this .

Hare Chaser

Re: Refusal to hunt !!!

Post by Hare Chaser »

Genetics! You can't teach or force any hound to hunt. Some dogs will hunt harder over time as they mature and become more game wise. Some call it search, some call it hunt. No matter what you call it it's bred in to them at conception, not trained in by humans. Some refer to it as desire though I think it is more than desire alone. Most of the decent dogs I've owned seem to have a sense of where to look for the game they chase. Hunt isn't everything but it sure ranks up there pretty high for me.

steve w

Post by steve w »

Can't argue genetics but I can blame to much pack time, some get lazy when they figure out somebody else is going to do the dirty work.

Newt

Post by Newt »

If they can';t smell it they can't find it. I've noticed that if you take good hard hunting dog out and they just hang around there is usually a reason. No rabbits.
If you have dogs that can only run when the scenting is good they probably aren't going to hunt when they can't smell rabbit scent in the air.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I'm a bachelor this weekend,... So I cooked up and am having sausage, cabbage, mash potatoes & gravy w/ hot rolls.
I could have went to the Outback and had a nice sit-down diner but I enjoy cooking, but hate washing dishes...lol... Still, the effort was worth the trouble because I remember cooking with my grandmother and how rewarding it was and how good it taste. What many children are missing today.

Your hound might like my cooking, but sounds like preparation would be left to me...lol

BMBeagles

Post by BMBeagles »

I understand the lack of hunt part ! But the eatin grass i dont get ! It was like they were put out to pasture ! And would not hunt at all