Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Aubrey Holcombe

Re: Run to catch

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Mr. Dana Robertson:
Not sure if I have, your name spelled correct, anyway "Shady Grove Run To Catch" should get me to Tenn?

Just thinking about you and the Hounds, been mighty Hot here at Rabbit Town, USA!

Hasn't stopped me from raising pups, at least three litters so far this year, and another litter to arrive any time now.

"Spit" is doing well, he sure likes to see me coming in my Kubota RTV 1100 THAT OLD BOY IS ONE SMART HOUND.

HE SURE MAKING A NAME FOR HIMSELF HERE AT RABBIT TOWN, USA.

His pups, when breed to my Red females, sure coming up with lots of good Gun dogs here in Ga.

Give me a call sometimes, always good to hear from you.

Keep Looking Up!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey Daddy Rabbit.
Enjoyed the phone call the other day. When you first called I was standing in front of the mirror with a face full of shave cream !
Ya, it's been hot as blazes here in Tn. I don't much care for running in the heat and humidity but I've been getting the dogs out about once a week just to keep the edge wore off them and keeps them quiet in the kennel. Got to start real early and get the running in before they and me start to melt.
Ran this morning for a couple hours. Had good running but when I downed the dogs to pick em up their tongues were touching their knees.
Some guys brag about running when it's 90 degrees. NOT ME ! I don't care about standing out in a field when it's that hot and I'm sure not going to subject my beagles to it.
Glad to hear that Spit is getting you some real nice pups that are pleasing folks. He's got the breeding behind him to reproduce. My friends up north have a pair of his sisters that I get to hunt behind a couple times a year. Hare when I go up there and swampers when they come down here. Pretty nice pair of dogs.
You take care.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Aubrey Holcombe

Hello:

Sorry about not getting back with you sooner, but I don't get on this web sight to often, and just happen to see your Post just today!

Not much good news down here at Rabbit Town, USA!! Hot so I am doing my feeding and cleaning, at day break each day and all through by 7:00 or so and back inside for the remander of the heat and late in afternoon check them to see they have lots of fresh water. Sometimes I question my self as to why I keep these Hounds ?? Just love them, I suppose!

Take care my friend,, and Keep Your Cool!!!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:

hello

Aubrey Holcombe

HELLO
Saturday Afternoon we had a mighty good rain storm here at my place this afternoon about dark rain about an hour HARD!!

Hope you and the hound doing well, just wanted to check in with you.. Are you planning on any Blue Tick pups, any time soon? I want a female if you happen to raise any

Catch you later

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

S

Aubrey Holcombe

Hello:

I am getting out my old rabbit boxies time to set them as I need a few for the starting Pens.. I love this time of year!!

KEEP LOOKING UP!!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

Shady Grove Beagles

Still too hot for me here in Tn., been 90+ and humid here most of the summer. Have run the dogs some, but not a lot.
When I was younger and had young dogs I hit it pretty hard year 'round. I'm definitely getting older and so are my dogs so am content to wait for cooler weather.
Be mid October before you know it and I'll be heading north for some hare hunting with my old friends. Been going up there and renting a cabin near the Canadian border from the same lady for 29 years now. One thing about hunting that country is that it hasn't hardly changed in all that time.
We get after some big running hare.
The Great North Woods. Love it !

Newt

Post by Newt »

Yeah, this heat and humidity ifs rough on us old codgers. I turned 80 on Aug 3. A few years ago I would get up at 6.00 AM and be in the fields an hour later. Now I get up at 7:30, check my "want to" gage, most of the time its on empty. By the time I decide I feel like running its almost too hot to go. Hopefully the humidity drops this week and the mood for running returns.
Its getting more difficult to find places to run hounds around here.
Me and some buddies once traveled to Hare Country occasionally to run Hare. Went to Upper Hudson and Sandy Creek. Met Outstanding Ladies and Gentlemen, Beaglers, Joe Hanlon, Wingate and others that I can't recall their names at the moment. A memory is a terrible thing to lose.
Now my buddies have gone on, and most if not all the Beaglers that I met to are either retired of deceased.
I miss reading about their accomplishments in Hounds and Hunting and Better Beagling.

Shady Grove Beagles

Have been having problems getting logged in to post but now all of a sudden I can ???
I raised a litter out of my Shady Grove's Fly Girl x Allen's Buster Blue this past Spring and they have just turned 5 months old and am getting good reports on them.
Several have been letting their pups run with an older slower dog and the pups are staying out with them on the runs.
Local friend who I run with has a male. He's got rabbits that come out in his yard and he has been putting the pup on them and he has taken off like gang busters! I wish I could post videos on this site. Davey has sent me several over the last couple days and that pup is flat out getting it. Very encouraging to see a pup you raised taking off like he has.
Here's a pair of females owned by Ryan and Tabbie Ferranti that are up in Vermont beginning their careers as north country hare hounds
Attachments
Olive and Pickles.jpg
Olive and Pickles.jpg (14.2 KiB) Viewed 343113 times
Olive.jpg
Olive.jpg (25.66 KiB) Viewed 343113 times

Aubrey Holcombe

Weather is getting right down, here at Rabbit Town, USA !!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :check:

R. Dana Robinson

Post by R. Dana Robinson »

Been having a ton of problems getting on this site. First it said I was using the wrong user name Shady Grove Beagles. That didn't make sense as it's the same user name I've used on here for years.
I then tried creating a new account using a new user name. And it kept saying that now I had tried too many times to log in and it wouldn't let me.
I finally got hold of Bev Cross the owner of the site and it appears she got things set right [ thanks Bev ] so - I'M BACK !
Here's a couple pics of my hare hunting trip back in October up in northern New Hampshire along the Canadian border.
Good times with good friends Bob Ferranti and his son Ryan.
Bob and I have been running hounds together for 40 years now.
Attachments
Bob and Ryan getting em ready for tonight's stew
Bob and Ryan getting em ready for tonight's stew
DSCN1496 (450 x 600).jpg (88.22 KiB) Viewed 341090 times
Dana with Tess,Josie,Fly, Queen - 2 hour race.
Dana with Tess,Josie,Fly, Queen - 2 hour race.
DSCN1499 (600 x 450).jpg (122.98 KiB) Viewed 341090 times

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Looks like a good time, did you run with Dan Lea at all?

R. Dana Robinson

Hello Rowdy.
Ya, had a good time.Weather was good,hare were plentiful and the dogs ran great.
Dan has some health issues in his family that has kept him close to home and very careful throughout the covid years and present.We haven't been able to get together to hunt for the past several years.

R. Dana Robinson

My truck was in the shop and I really wanted to run some rabbits.
Took a little doing but I got a small crate to fit and my Queenie got some solo work.
I don't solo my dogs much as they are all older and don't really require it and I hate to leave any home.
Got to say though that I really enjoyed watching Queen doing it alone and she kept several rabbits going for about 3 hours.
The Miata is not much of a hunting rig but when I'm not running rabbits I'm running it through these twisty turning mountain roads - and it is pretty tight on the line and makes the sharp turns.
Attachments
DSCN1529 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN1529 (600 x 450).jpg (95.13 KiB) Viewed 340865 times

R. Dana Robinson

Wishing all my beagling friends a very Merry Christmas a Happy New Year and an enjoyable hunting season.
From the Shady Grove Beagles .
Attachments
DSCN1523 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN1523 (600 x 450).jpg (118.68 KiB) Viewed 340803 times

Will05

Post by Will05 »

Trying to get in touch with Mark Carder. If anyone has his contact info please pm it to me
Wsullivan777@gmail.com
Home of :
Sullivan's Sadie MaePatch
Sullivan's MollyPatch