Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Run to catch

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Romeo has now joined his sire Josh Stofer's Bone Box Blue Spook and his litter mate brother Shazam in Kentucky.
His new proud owner is Josh's 15 year old daughter Jayden.Jayden is a very active "sportswomen". She fishes,has been going to field trials with her Dad since she was little and I've seen the pics. of the two impressive bucks she's taken the last two deer seasons.
Good luck with him Jayden.I know you and your Dad will give him plenty of time in the woods with the rest of the Bone Box Beagles.From the reports on the other 9 litter mates he should shine for you.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

D.R.

Good post, enjoy reading about the long hard races. Got to love them them run to catch hounds.

Say, i seen the litter mate to my "Spit" photo and his Pedigree, very good looking young male, I think they call the pup "Romeo"" he looks a lots like my pup, seems there is a difference in their hair? That one has longer rougher coat than my pup.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Shady Grove Beagles

Hey Daddy Rabbit
Just got done watching a video of a 5 month old female pup sired by your Spitfire male running a wild rabbit solo.
Guy that lives here in my town told me he traveled down there to Rabbit Town and convinced you to let him have her.
Old Tojo knows what a rabbit dog is. I've run in to him several times at the running grounds and he's always carry some good hounds. He said the litter mate male was also very impressive. He said he's sure liking the cross of Spit and your female.
I know you told me those two pups hadn't been started very long. If that's the case she sure looked impressive as she was putting it on that rabbit in pretty good shape and really spiting them out !

Aubrey Holcombe

Yep, my good friend keep talking and I was wanting to see some 'Green Stamps" he poor mouth me and I finally let him have her, to tell the truth I think the male is doing just as good and has the best mouth, but at my age don't look to be able to gun hunt this up coming season.. One thing about it, Tojo will run her, he has a mighty. good running pack of hound and most came from my Kennels.

Keep looking up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:

P.S. the South Ga. State Trooper called me telling me that he seen where I let the female, go to Tenn.. Did you write him a letter?

Shady Grove Beagles

NO D.R. I haven't spoken to Kenny recently and only found out that Tojo got the female from you two days ago.
I spoke with Kenny probably 3-4 weeks ago when I heard that one of Spit's brothers was becoming available due to the owner's health issues.
Kenny likes his male so much that he told me he was VERY interested in acquiring him. I'd spoken with Josh Stofer the owner of the stud of these young dogs first and Josh decided he wanted to have him and drove down and picked him up.
How's those other pups from that other female bred to Spit looking?

Aubrey Holcombe

Dana:
They are just as good as the one that Tojo got off me they are a few weeks older and a good bit bigger. the female that I got as a tole pup, was VERY fast !! I sold her to a fellow in Va. a few weeks ago, she ran just like "Spit" head down and on the run all the time. The male I still have and he is doing well in the Starting pen.

Now that the weather is cooler I am going to be runny both these male a good bit, I have a few folks seen them, wanting to get them as Gun Dogs, Tojo tried to buy this male, but didn't want to pay what he is worth?

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

;

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

Guys it’s been years since I’ve got in here and posted it seems. I hope y’all are happy and pleased with the pups from Spook x Josie cross. I’m humbled that Shady Grove chose to breed to him, which Dana has hunted over Spook in the past years.
I’ve been trying catch up by reading past post and learning these offsprings names and were there all at. The male I got Shazam has same running style of his parents.( Run to catch with minimal mistakes) He’s doing a fine job, runs right with his daddy Spook.
We recently picked up Romeo from Mr. Ed in Tn. First thing my daughter did was pamper him just like all the others. She wanted him to feel comfortable and right at home. We’ve had him out running with his daddy also and is talents are starting to show.
Glad to hear good from the others as well.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

Aubrey Holcombe

DR & DR SPITFIRE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Up date on Dr, & Dr, Spitfire, my male is not only making an excellent gun Dog, the pup is producing me some mighty good Gun dogs! He has produce me 16 pups. I have seen 8 of these pups, running a wild rabbi Solo, at 6 months old! The go hunting and jump their on rabbit and can circle it all by themselves!

"Spit" has earn himself, a Stud Dog spot here at my Kennels, love that Big Boy, he is not a pup any longer. All business like and out to find and eat all these wild rabbits here in the foot hills of North, Georgia!

Thanks again Dana, for allowing me to own this outstanding, Gun Dog!

D.R..~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:

Shady Grove Beagles

Daddy Rabbit
I'm proud to have a dedicated and knowledgeable beagler / houndsman such as yourself get one of my pups and do right by him and see him develop his potential.
I have to say that I'm extremely happy that ALL of the other 9 owners of the litter mates are the type of houndsmen that are putting the time and effort to keep their young hounds in the woods and reports are very good.Some are being run on cottontails and swampers and a couple of others are up north looking nice on snowshoe hare.
When I made the cross of Spook x Josie it was not only because of their traits,characteristics,abilities which were compatible but also for their genetics.
I think Spit as a young stud is showing that those genetics and his ability to reproduce are strong.
A future cross of Spit on my Fly female is a strong possibility.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Well I like the 2 I have from Dana well enough that I have already put in my intentions for another. This time out of Fly. Dan is clean, an above average check dog, really drives the track. Diva is also clean, gets some jumps I really like her hunt, gets some checks, runs a good track. Both nice dogs, smart, handle good, were easy to break. I LIKE'M.

Shady Grove Beagles

Thanks for those kind words James. Much appreciated !
Some may think it strange but I get just as much joy and satisfaction hearing these good reports on pups I've bred from guys that know what a good rabbit dog is as if they were here in my kennel and I still owned them.
Most of the guys that have bought pups from me are gun hunters / pleasure runners and are not part of the trialing fraternity. ALL of them have been beaglers for many years. This isn't their first beagle or their first rodeo.LOL.
Given that, I value their assessments, observations, evauluations of hounds just as highly as if they were running a Field Champion.

Man am I glad Fall is rolling in. I'm no fan of the hot and humid days of July and August.
Sat out on my camp stool for 3 hours this morning in a steady rain and listened to the hounds roll.Got soaked to the bone but oh did they run !
Conditions like today and the girls couldn't lose him. Round and round and I never had to move. Saw the rabbit cross and go up and down the gravel road 7-8 times.
They ran him for 1 hr. 40 minutes steady.That's a long time for a cottontail to run like they were. I was afraid they were going to catch him soon so cut them off and picked them up.
What a fine running rabbit !

warddog

Post by warddog »

I really like reading about these guys and those pups turning it on. I am also envious of those of you who still have places and rabbits to run. I'm afraid my days are about coming to an end after 60+ years of following hounds. It first started with coon hounds to where the places to go and NOT have dogs get onto posted, private property and having drama became more and more prominent. That made me get out of coon hunting and over the years the same thing has happened with beagles where the places to go are limited as is the rabbits they hold. IF one finds a place to run or hunt it is pounded to death because of it being available. Many run on old mines, state ground but I have seen the time, in these places that you would have to take a number and wait your turn like at the department of motor vehicles. What I have experienced in these places are dog wise rabbits. They get up and get going as soon as they hear the truck door close and already have a well worn escape root to refuge. The two I have now are both 11+ years old and slowed way down and the age is catching up with them health wise. Those old bones are kind of like mine they ain't what they used to be and get kind of tired. My brain says YES but they say NO and after me pushing it they make me pay for it with the Ben Gay! I'm afraid these two may be my last as I even let my old blood line go when I failed to get either of these two bred before they got too old. I hope you guys keep the reading going as I may be left with only that in the very near future.

Shady Grove Beagles

Had a pretty interesting experience this morning while out running the beagles. My son brought our 6 year old grandson Ollen down as Ollen had wanted to go rabbit hunting with Poppy for quite a while.
Today was opening day for Tn. deer bow season. As I expected the first two public land places we went to already had Robin Hoods in place.
I knew of some T.V.A. land out near the lake that I thought nobody would be hunting deer on.
We were walking along a trail on the edge of the lake and here comes a lady toting expensive cameras, totes and a duffel. She asked if she could take some pictures of me and the dogs. I said sure.
She's snapping away and asking a bunch of questions about the hounds and chasing rabbits and taking notes.
Turns out she's a photo journalist from New York City on assignment for National Geographic Magazine doing an article on the Cherokee Indians.
She had me sign a "model release" in case any of my photos are ever used. She got my address and said she didn't know if any of my/dog's pics would ever be used as that was someone else's decision but that she would send me some copies of the pics. she took.

Oh ya, the dogs did jump a rabbit. Put a couple circles on him and put him right across the path in front of Ollen and he was some excited. Zach got real good video of the rabbit clearing the path and of the beagles in hot pursuit
A great morning ! Boy I love this sport !

Aubrey Holcombe

DR & DR SPITFIRE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Dana:
You just wait to President Donald J. Trump hears about This !

Man I sure hope that lady get some good photo's and the hounds, you might get us some good Federal Support?

I put my pup "Spit" in the small Starting pen yesterday with some of the deer that was born inside the pen, had my S.C. on him and some of the other hounds, I seen the old doe and her fawn, slipping around inside the pen. The hounds didn't seem to care about the deer was busy trying to find a rabbit. we been getting a lots of good rains and the temp. is getting right now been in the 50's early.

I was in there for an hour and they never find a rabbit,, I have it very thick and so will be doing this for a few more days next week.
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Dana
don't blush when I ask for your autograph, never known a model ..

All jokes aside to me the main thing here is you just instealed a memory in that little guys brain that will never be forgot .... I love these moments . I don't have grand kids yet but I still remember taking each of my daughters at about that age and them seeing their 1st rabbit just in front
of the hounds . Great times .
My youngest is getting married next month and I pray that I'll have and get to take the g-kids on a little trip just like this .
Keep'm in the woods and you will always know where they are .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"