Runnin' the hair of the hare in Maine!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hare Chaser

Runnin' the hair of the hare in Maine!

Post by Hare Chaser »

Made a trip up to run hare with Dennis Meideros up in Northern Maine last week. 5 hour trip up for me yet I enjoyed the drive. Up through the White Mtns. north of me about 1-1/2 hours. The view of the Whites instills an awe in me every time I pass through this area. Traveling along US Rt. 2 down into Rumford ,ME and along the Androscoggin River Valley is a beautiful drive. Somehow traveling with (4) hare hounds as traveling companions brings me an untold joy. Got to Dennis' place around 7:30 Thursday night with some welcomed assistance!

Hit the woods early Friday morning for about 3 hours with Gator, Belle, Katie and Holly had some decent running but not great, yet the dogs matched up well and ran well as a pack. Sat afternoon late, we dumped out Maddie, Ba-Lue, Blondie and Junior. Just as we turned out we got a good shower which picked up the running over what we had in the morning. Once again we were pleasantly surprised with how well these (4 ) packed up. You just never know when putting down with strange dogs how it will go. We both are in agreement that the (2) packs we put down ran as if they had been run together frequently.

We were at it early again on Sat. A.M. with Friday mornings pack of Gator, Belle, Katie and Holly. Got a jump before I could finish getting Gators Garmin collar on which made that task near impossible! These dogs flat out ran that hare for (3) hours for a bunch of easy filming. This was the best running we had in the 2 days we ran. Got between 11 and 12 miles on these (4) and picked them up after 3 hours. Went out for a good breakfast and headed back to Dennis' place where I loaded up and headed for home around 12:30 p.m.

Dennis is a great host, a knowledgeable hound man who I learned a couple new things from and a very generous man. He is another of those guys that there was no surprises when we met. This was our first time meeting yet to me it felt as if we'd been old friends for years. That's twice this has happened this summer for me! Harehound and buddy Jim was just the same.

Things have been slow on here this summer so hope you enjoy a couple brief runs with some fair hare hounds and a couple men that love everything about the business of chasin' the Swamp Ghost aka Snowshoe Hare.

https://youtu.be/P3vOtnSLDss

https://youtu.be/_JAJf1OBXRk

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Runnin' the hair of the hare in Maine!

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Sounds like a good time Dan and the dogs looked good on the video.Sorry to have missed your call. Was down in north Georgia at the Georgia 1/2 Mile Shootout auto speed races for the weekend with my son-in-laws and Wes' dad.Going over to Pigeon Forge tomorrow and overnight so will look forward to talking with you later in the week.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Baldhead99

Post by Baldhead99 »

Cool video and thanks for sharing. Now makes me want to chase them hate even more!!!

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

We had some good running Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Saturday was the best we had out of the 2 days. It's not always that good! There are many days when the dogs have to work harder than what you see in those clips.

That's what makes the good running days special! What pleased us both the most was the way our dogs melded together. They had never run together before and neither of us knew what to expect. That doesn't always happen either as I'm sure you know.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Some great music and fellowship, nothing beats running with friends and a good performance by hounds.
Very acute of you to mention the subtle difference of smell of individual hare/rabbit, I have to use vanilla extract to fool the mothers into taking on other baby rabbits from other litters, else they stomp the new fledglings dead.
An experienced smart hound knows staying with the original prey offers the best chance of a catch.
Happy Autumn... :dance: