On starting pen cover

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Buckeye Bob

On starting pen cover

Post by Buckeye Bob »

My plan is to fence in 5 acres in the spring and the goal is to have at least part of it to be dense briars. The land is flat river bottom land with no briars now. Some low brush, some weed/goldenrod and about half pole size junk trees. Elm, silver maple etc. What is the best way to promote briar growth quickly. I will be hinge cutting some and completely cutting most of the trees to open for sunshine. Any experienced advice would be appreciated.

Lone Pine Beagles

Re: On starting pen cover

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

I cut 80% of my trees (maples) and the briars came in nicely.
Even better were the dogwoods and swamp willows.
If i did it again, i'd cut 100% of the trees!
Cover grows fast with ample sunlight.

Good Luck

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

Hinge cutting didn't work well for me. The tree branches grow up to quickly. I now cut the trees at ground level.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

We just finished a 15 acre pen in 2016...it was a clear cut area.

It provided great cover immediately and I believe will be even better with head high growth in the next couple years.

We supplemented with Salt, Sulphur blocks, and put in a couple dusting areas.

Prior to the fence going in we planted all the roads heavily with clover and other forage good for rabbits. It has been really nice thus far. We will continue to put in more food areas, and cut to create new growth, but refuge and cover are very sufficient to hold quite a few rabbits and for rabbits to raise young.....we have seen that already with late litters in August last year.

I would clear cut your whole area....my opinion.

Buckeye Bob

Post by Buckeye Bob »

Thanks guys. Another question. Do I need to be concerned about water? I hadn't really planned on that.....

Tim G

Post by Tim G »

I have a 3x4 piece of tin ona Fram 16" high I keep rabbit pellets and waiter in a cut off 5 gallon bucket they eat the pellets and drink the water mostly in the hot dry summer here in Mississippi it works great for me