Mixed black and white color

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mixed black and white color

Post by Guest »

I just recently purchased my frist beagle puppy male which I love, however I have never seen a beagle with black and white mixed color...Where the all white markings should be it is mixed with black...Has anyone seen these before? :)

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

My guess is you're looking at a bluetick. :cool: Are the legs red freckled toward the feet?

Dan Lefgren

Post by Dan Lefgren »

Actually you are looking at a black-tick. Unles the pup has a lighter eye and a slate colored nose he is NOT a true blue-tick. Most people including a lot of longtime beaglers do not know the difference. A lot of papers are marked wrong because they do not know the differnce. AKC, ARHA, UKC etc. I would hate to guess how many supposed "blue=tick" begles I've looked at that are actually black ticked. The markings on your pup are not that unusal.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Dan, AKC must not know the difference either. I don't see a spot on the registration form for black-tick. :confused:

Dan Lefgren

Post by Dan Lefgren »

You are correct. AKC does not know. We have finished 2 beagles with lilac (grey) blankets to thier AKC Showring Championships yet the color is not one of the 25 or so beagle colors that the AKC puts on papers. We marked other and wrote in the color and AKC sent papers back, wrote, called, complained, etc. and AKC responed in their usual manner, which is nothing changed. Gave up and marked them as blues which is at least a dilution of the black. The lilac blanket is the dilution of chocolate (liver). I always laugh when I see peds that show a tri-color with a black blanket that has 2 blue-ticked parents. Laughable and genetically impossible. One of the parents MUST have been black-ticked for the offspring to be black/tan/wh, etc. Blue is a double recessive, you breed two double recessives together then all the offspring WILL ALSO BE double recessive, therfore NO BLACK. If you get black, then one of the parents colors is incorrect.

Post by guest »

I would like to start off by saying, thank you for all the great information about my new pup. I was very surprised how fast you all responded. Bev my dogs legs are red solid all the way to his paws with the exception of the white hair that is trying to come through, but it thins as you get closer to his paws. His main colors are Black and Red with the blue tick that is where the white should have been. I would also like to add that this website inspired me to do further research about a beagle as a pet. Thank you everyone! :D

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

The AKC would appear to be aware of it, as it is state that "There is a wide range of Liver or Chocolate Dilutes, including some that are also Blue/Liver or so-called Lilac," on this page...

http://clubs.akc.org/NBC/dilute_colored_beagles.htm

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Check out the blue-tick on this page: http://clubs.akc.org/NBC/tricolor_beagles.htm

I'll bet that's close to what your hound looks like guest.

Dan Lefgren

Post by Dan Lefgren »

Boomer,
The NBC page is maintained by a lady in Texas. The picture of the lilac, the multi colored litter etc., came from me, not the AKC. There are mistakes on the page and in some of the color info. I gave up sending her e-mails trying to get it corrected. Overall it is pretty good or at least adequate for most people just looking for a bit of breed info and that is the sites main purpose. The AKC provides hosting space only.