Field Trial Ponderings

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

S.R.Patch

Re: Field Trial Ponderings

Post by S.R.Patch »

Adam would go on road trips up north to buy FC, IFC studs that were in their latter days and bring them south to stud out to the locals. Those guys that trialed, finished and bred those hounds would sell them while they still had a little life left in them to recoup and move them out of the area to make room for the next batch of new stars. That's how my buddy ended up with Larsen's Jackson. He was an old hound but I'll tell you what, he could still run a deer all the way from the north side of ole Ben Two, all the way down south of Winslow. Now that's a heck of a feat for a old hound going through all those spoil banks.
Like young gun William Bonnie would to say, "I'll make you famous"...

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Larson's Jackson was as wild as they come. Watched him as a young dog and he was scarry rough. He ended up finishing down south in Large pack. Never understood Adams interest in that dog. They claim he settled a little in old age but sounds like he found a new game he could run faster.

I think he may have been from the Striker X Saddie cross that produced several FC's.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

warddog

Post by warddog »

S.R.Patch wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:32 pm
Adam would go on road trips up north to buy FC, IFC studs that were in their latter days and bring them south to stud out to the locals. Those guys that trialed, finished and bred those hounds would sell them while they still had a little life left in them to recoup and move them out of the area to make room for the next batch of new stars. That's how my buddy ended up with Larsen's Jackson. He was an old hound but I'll tell you what, he could still run a deer all the way from the north side of ole Ben Two, all the way down south of Winslow. Now that's a heck of a feat for a old hound going through all those spoil banks.
Like young gun William Bonnie would to say, "I'll make you famous"...
YEP and after Adam stopped making Shooter available to the public I tried to buy him just to breed to my Nikki female., ONLY. Both her and Shooter were getting up in age too! Adam would not sell Shooter even if I made that guarantee but he brought Renegade down from up north for me to breed Nikki to. I bred her to him and as I stated the results were totally different. TWO titled dogs of the same lineage with totally different results from the same female. Facts are Nikki was bred to Shooter twice and both those litters had the same results with reports from hunters from New York to Wisconsin to Mississippi and points in between wanting pups from that cross after it was to be no more.