Chappy takes it to em at Bay De Noc

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dillinger09

Re: Chappy takes it to em at Bay De Noc

Post by Dillinger09 »

No one has totally disagreed with ol' Crazy Chap here, for that you are a man with a pair in my book! Glad there are a few people out there that aren't blind! If my head gets to big I'm just going to go run with Chap, of course after I purchase enough
Shock collars for the dogs is be bringing :D and hear it like it SHOULD be told.

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

Budd
Wish old butches dog could had showed me something,as I would love nothing more than to own tanks older brother. He would have fit write in around here

A honest man did tell me deano. is the olny dog that could run saturday an I guess he really did it right. Now I wish I would have went saturday.

I was even asking about a nice big bitch. But when they were getting excited gathering at the gate to watch some dog blow it all up. I figured I better save my money an dident even stay for the big bitches.

Harehunter37

Post by Harehunter37 »

Where are the results posted?

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

I must have bought the gb cull or them guys no how to stick together. Do u think they are trying to tell me something.

Well now I got this deer thing to break but than I think ill still feed him. After all he makes my girl smile.

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

Seems to me that a fence could not even keep a few in from running off the end of things! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I heard that a few guys had to go outside the pen to get there dogs back. It takes a pretty strong dog to climb a fence to run a deer. JMHO I no you can not gun hunt dogs like that around this part of the country.
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO

Newt

Post by Newt »

I thought dogs won trials by knowing where the scent ended and turning or coming back to the point of loss. They sure look good to me when they ignore the barking fools, run the line, or recover the line and move out. Ignoring deer scent is an admirable trait also. :)

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

Did any of the dogs that placed take deer?

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Competent wrote:
mybeagles wrote:Lp snow trials can be tough.....this is where a dog named Green Bay Shooter became famous overnight.
I judged shooter in Canada and yes I agree he was a gud one!! Iam hear ta tell ya he didn't get dat gud/famous overnight!!

Harry Snow Jr.
I didn't say he became "gud" overnight. But when he won every snow trial that winter he went from being another dog with a good nose to famous. Everyone was talking about it and as a result many began to breed to him.

For the most part I think the AKC rule book is well done. The one rule I dont agree with is the requirement to place 5 dogs. If a trial is conducted and dogs cant circle a rabbit for 3-4 hours of trying Im of the opinion that nothing should place. Regardless of the reason, conditions too extreme, no game, poor quality hounds, etc. Its my understanding CKC doesn't require hounds to be placed if they cant run a rabbit. I have to agree with Chappy, some trials shouldn't make the winner very proud. We have all been to a trial where the running was complete garbage. Fortunately it requires 3 wins and 125 points to finish a dog.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

If conditions do not allow a dog to circle a rabbit or it cant circle a rabbit then why should it Place? Stupid rule.Just saying cause its there there has to be a winner? So we promote these wins?
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

eddywilliams

Post by eddywilliams »

They should not place if they run a deer that is for certain imo
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS :
HOME OF:
IFC BEAVER CREEKS KICK AZ
FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE
OUTBACK MATILDA
RABBIT RIDGE ONE TUFF AZ KICKER
RABBIT RIDGE PARIS
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

I have been reading this post and following along. I will say in regards to placing hounds that cannot cicle a rabbit at a trial.
How many of us that have been rabbit hunting for any length of time have gone out with our best dogs ( I have had a couple outstanding nose dogs) and not been able to circle a rabbit because of conditions i.e. ice , deep powder snow , bred does etc. This is why AKC allows dogs to be judged on all areas of a hounds ability , HUNT , how well it works with a pack just to name a couple. Jumping a rabbit can be scored in akc as hunt because some hounds just know where to look to find a rabbit or we would not have the ter " JUMP DOG" in our beagling vocabular. If we did not take into account dogs not circling rabbits for various conditions none of us would own dogs because if you are telling me that you have never gone out and dogs failed to circle you are either lying or do not know dogs. So when hounds are placed at trials that have failed to circle other factors are taken into account.
Tom Summers

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Tom i completly agree with you however if its 2 degrees and solid ice. Why would you even be at a trial? Thats the difference between north and south, you expect it too be bad we dread it getting bad. Just sorta seems like cheap win to me, whats it mean? Absolutly Nothing. Any dog can hunt whether 90 or -2. Common sense tells me at -2 there in a hole in this country, and i am curled up with my wife.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Lee Cockman wrote:Seems to me that a fence could not even keep a few in from running off the end of things! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I heard that a few guys had to go outside the pen to get there dogs back. It takes a pretty strong dog to climb a fence to run a deer. JMHO I no you can not gun hunt dogs like that around this part of the country.
They don't climb, they jump get their front feet ahold and push over, unless there's a hot wire atop the fence.
One night the hounds were in an uproar an I went out to see what was happening. The young hounds had gotten out of a pen I'd made from the beagle netting and were running with a strange hound that was circling a rabbit around the field. I looked around the pen and found a hole chewed in the fence and patched it and continued to catch the hounds and put them back in the lot. Only one hound went back to where I had patched the hole, the rest were going over the top going back to run with the strange hound, kinda like if you tie your horse up by the reins and it breaks free, once it knows it can break the reins, you gotta go back and break it with a stout rope it can't break or it'll be loose ever time you tie it up.
Those young hounds in their excitement did what they'd never done before.

Chappy, your opinion might not be very popular but after listening to you, I'd follow you over the fence... :lol:

Tom, that's a good explanation of the imperfect world we live and the hounds we raise... :nod:...how would it look if all the trial adds had the amendment at the end, "good weather permitting"... :lol:

Leaddog

Post by Leaddog »

I guess ill chime in on this lol. Ive seen it before where a pack never jumps a rabbit and all they judge on is hunt and search. I always thought that was a little silly as the best hunter in the pack could also be the worst rabbit dog as ive had dogs before with excellent hunt but couldnt circle a rabbit. There gone now. But there has to be a winner i guess. Btw just curious about the dogs that placed. What did they do to win? Hunt the hardest or smell the best or what?

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

when it comes to trialing, it all boils down to judging in my opinion and the diffrence between spo or lp. if you get a judge that likes a rabbit dog you well always get pretty good running, if you get one that likes them fast over running scoring nothing but the front, your running well not be so good. so the best advice would be to pick and choose who you run under. it's sad when you have to say that, but it is true.