When Wolves Attack (Warning--Picture is Graphic)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LR Patch

Re: When Wolves Attack (Warning--Picture is Graphic)

Post by LR Patch »

MO wrote
I am sorry for your loss... That is a terrible tragedy. I am honestly surprised they killed so many at once. That is not normal wolf behavior at all from all the things I have read... Here is another attack pic and story that is almost 100 percent IDENTICAL to your hound. It even looks like your hound although you can tell it is not.
Don't know much about wolves but saw on TV just the other night . In Montana a pack killed 11, 3 day to 10 day old calves 1 night , appeared they had not eaten any , maybe they were come'n back ? Was a kinda small rancher with only a couple 100 head. It was big blow to his pocket book for sure. I think the pack from paw tracks was only 4 . Bad stuff boys. I'd say shoot'm
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

get a coyote decoy play a howler or pups sound see what happens then blow them away, if i lived there i would do whatever was needed to eliminate them regardless the cost no one is safe with them lose what a dumb azz decision by DNR there you should start a petition drive or picket the Governors office asking them to clean house in DNR maybe then the tree huggers will worry about having a job and think twice before bringing a cancer like this in to the world. SHEER IGNORANCE! find out where they live dump the remains in their yard with a note saying this should been you- you fool!thanks for breaking my heart!

ringtail

Post by ringtail »

Very sorry for your loss, id be carring a gun and busting those critters, what happens if there are young kids there fising with parents and they attack, i gaurentee they wouldnt take me to jail after i shot a dozen,,,,,,,,,
OUR SPORT IS MADE UP OF NEW HUNTERS,,,SO PLEASE TAKE A CHILD HUNTING!

J-N-M'S HIGHBRIER BLU RUKUS

JCM

Post by JCM »

Thanks to everyone for the kindness and thoughts. I feel especially bad for Scott Derrick who took his first trip north to the UP and had to have it end this way.

The main reason I posted this was so everyone would be aware of the risks of running hounds in the UP. I would never say anyone should not go, but everyone needs to know the risk is real. No one should ever run a hound that they aren't willing to lose. And right now in my opinion, the risk of losing one is much greater in the UP than anywhere else.

Once again, thank you to all for thinking of us.

JCM

Post by JCM »

tom summers wrote:Jim I am truly sorry to see this. This is the reason I no longer run in the U.P. I lost my best hounds years ago to a motrcycle hitting her I cannot imagine what it would be like to have this happen. I truly believe that it is now the hunters resposibilty to solve this problem as our govt. will not because when numbers become low again they will become protected and never go away!

Tom Summers
I agree Tom. The only hope in making the UP safe for hounds is if people that live there take matters into their own hands. When you talk to the locals, they hate wolves with a passion. Unfortunately, now that they are established it is like putting the cat back in the bag.

JCM

Post by JCM »

Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:
Maybe if you gathered up all the dogs and took pics of all nine together and posted them to the news papers and tv it would go along way to opening up a season on them but just because they attack does not mean we should extirpate them IMO...
I contacted a lot of media, newspapers and TV and didn't get a single response asking for information. I thought it would help the cause if the tree huggers could see the result of a wolf attack. Unfortunately, our side of the story doesn't seem to be news.

JCM

Post by JCM »

S.R.Patch wrote:...The DNR offer no help or retribution for the killings. :bash:

there are two known pack of wolves in the area your talking about.
When I contacted the DNR they knew about the pack in that area. They won't tell anyone where packs are located though because they are afraid someone would use the information to kill the wolves.

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

(***JCM you have a pm ) track them in the winters snow play a rabbit race get some small canine type decoys

Budd

Post by Budd »

Here is what Wisconsin put's out every year to try and help hound/pet owners be aware.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat ... gdeps.html

Pine Ridge Beagles

Post by Pine Ridge Beagles »

I have been going to the UP for 6 years now and have seen wolves two diff times. I have seen tracks on most trips,I no longer go back to that area to hunt. I will continue to still go and hunt the Up,not because I dont love my dogs but because no matter where you drop your hounds its a gamble if they will get loaded back up.You have dogs hit by cars,collars caught,falling into holes or colverts,and the list goes on.Im always sorry when I here of dogs being lost,for whatever reason,but it happens all the time for many reasons.All I can say is ,kill them all. Al

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Kill Em all... Nothn but a bunch of killers...

Sorry for your loss guys...
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

randy hicks

Post by randy hicks »

running a dog listening to them sing is priceless. but dogs do die and get killed everyday the guys down south deal with snakes. some guys haft to deal with yotes..sucks that these things happen but they do. I will still go up and run the u.p. thanks for sharing jim.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

will someone please answer me ..was this on drummond island?
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

dingo

Post by dingo »

no

sgc

Post by sgc »

I feel sorry for your loss and for the little hounds themselves. One main reason I quit running hounds in the UP was because of the wolves. The last few years I've been hunting birds up there with a small spaniel that hunts very close. Even so, I won't take him to the UP anymore either. Last year I saw tracks everywhere I went and was warned by people I know up there. It's not worth it. The thought that some seem to express that you can get in there and save your hounds and shoot a few wolves in the process is laughable. That's not going to happen and those who feel this way are just putting their hounds at risk.