Opinion on bad scent day

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

RDN61

Re: Opinion on bad scent day

Post by RDN61 »

A stinky buck rabbit can make any dog look good :nod:
I love those traveling bucks!

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

If you know your dog, he will tell you how scenting conditions are.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Sometimes just changing rabbits will make a great difference in their running on the same ground.

Explains why one pack is having a hard time running and another right by it is running full speed. Doe versus buck.

Weather had nothing to do with it, in that case, I'll bet the farm the one running hard is a buck. If jumped out of its area, the buck will run straight to its area and then circle there and never come back near where it was jumped. you'll have to go to it.

The last of hunting season when its getting warm, we have killed more than 20 in a day and all those that ran a while were bucks. Those hunters that shoot off the jump are the only ones that got a couple of females with milk.

Rest of season when no breeding or tending to little ones are going on, no difference in the running and killing.

Keep a record of what is going in your game bag and see.