13" or 15"

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Owl Creek

Re: 13" or 15"

Post by Owl Creek »

kbbgood wrote:Not to bring back the subject but how do I know I will get a small dog when I get a new pup. Mother & father?
if you want a 13" dog . you better get one from 13" parents.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

15"

I have 6 dogs right now with the smallest being 14 1/2"

Pete Tuck

Post by Pete Tuck »

I used to have all sizes in my pack. But now, if it ain't at least 14" minimium it's more than likely going to hit the road.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Mike's Ace in the Hole
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

I think it may depend on where and what you run. I hunt heavy multifloria rose almost exclussively. The big dogs have issues getting under the multifloria rose. I took a buddy that hunts hare in WVa in the deep snow and he believes you can't have a beagle too big, but he commented that if he hunted where I do he too would own little dogs.

PS, little ones eat less.

scott calkins

Post by scott calkins »

like both but when in north country runin hare in deep snow 15 is all i want. and like 15 on bare ground on hare . jmo. but seen many little ones in deep snow get throwed out of race not all but some. and on bareground 15 seems to go faster on hare any way. but i have run with some 13 that were great hounds. again jmo. :D
I will not follow where the path may lead; but I will go where there is no path, and leave a trail. LORD HELP ME BE THE PERSON MY DOG THINKS I,AM!!!

TrippleBFarms

Post by TrippleBFarms »

I have them from 10" to 13" i like the small dogs.
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselvs aginst tyranny in goverment. Thomas Jefferson

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

HatterasBob wrote:I think it may depend on where and what you run. I hunt heavy multifloria rose almost exclussively. The big dogs have issues getting under the multifloria rose. I took a buddy that hunts hare in WVa in the deep snow and he believes you can't have a beagle too big, but he commented that if he hunted where I do he too would own little dogs.

PS, little ones eat less.

Well said, smaller dogs have it tough up here in the north we got alot of people that cross blue tick into there beagles to get leg under a dog for the snow fall. if i lived down south and all i had to worry about was getting dogs into briars than i would have smaller dogs but all i do is gun hunt so as long as it runs a rabbit thats all i care about. i have a 16.5" 33lb young male that eats 3 cups of quality kibble with 26% protien per day and isnt even getting run right now, have a kennel full of this kind of dog and you will think your feeding bear hounds. i would much rather feed a 15lb 13". But its tough to replace his ability to get through deep snow and his big deep voice that carries over all the other hounds on a late march hare hunt and hes the only dog you can hear as the hare takes the dogs on mile long loops.

scott calkins

Post by scott calkins »

yep that sounds like heaven to me . dont run in main but UP mi alot seen a lot of locals runin dogs crossed like that. but ill stick to my 15 inch akc hare hound suits me fine :D
I will not follow where the path may lead; but I will go where there is no path, and leave a trail. LORD HELP ME BE THE PERSON MY DOG THINKS I,AM!!!