Predator kills dog inside running enclosure

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SNOWDOGS1

Re: Predator kills dog inside running enclosure

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

These predators are increasingly becoming a greater threat to our sport. In the last 10 years I have lost 2 good hounds to predators. 1 was a young bitch showing great promise. She was taken in Maine while running a hare with 1 other dog on a split from the main pack. Other dog came back to us. Followed her on the tracking collar for over a mile across a pretty good size stream and it just kept going. I believe it was a bear, but some think it was a big cat. It had to be powerful enough to carry this dog in its mouth while I tracked it, no drag marks no sounds as if it were a pack, just a solo predator. No fear of humans because we had shot several times in the area before she disappeared. Found the remains the next morning buried under leaves by finding the tracking collar. That's why some think cat, maybe. Only head and spine left, rest was devoured. Lost another one, young male, to a bear in an enclosed running grounds in NY. It carried the dog out of the grounds over the fence. No sounds or sign of struggle anywhere or dog in distress noises, quick kill. Evidence of bear in the grounds was found over the next several days. I know the feeling you have right now, part sick and part mad. Unfortunately, I don't see it getting any better, but especially running in the wild it is going to happen now and then.
Last edited by SNOWDOGS1 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I think I'd have to agree with B.C. as to a territiorial coyote attack.Had one of my females get grabbed by coyotes several years ago here on a Tn. W.M.A.I saw the coyotes [two ] going for the dog.They didn't kill her but bit her in the neck like what your's showed.
I believe if it was the eagle you or your vet would have seen the multiple punctures of an eagle's talons when they grab prey.Those talons definetly have the strength to crush the neck of a beagle hound.Bald eagles are also notorious scavengers and could have just been opportunistic in finding some else's kill.
If it was a large predator like you mentioned [wolf or large cat,both that easily can go over 100 lbs. ] wouldn't you be able to see evedence of it climbing in and out of your fencing?
Many of us have had beagles that can climb out of their pens and here in Tn. my beagles routinely go over woven wire fences while running so no doubt a coyote could easily if they wanted to.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Can a coyote get over a five and a half tall fence?

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I don't know about that, but I bet they could dig in under it where some other critter has already started...ground hog...skunk...etc.

haderondah

Post by haderondah »

Just watched an eagle kill a wolf on youtube, it seems to me that if you saw the eagle leaving the scene you most likely found your culprit. I also found several accounts of dogs getting killed by eagles in alaska. I assume that you have dogs in your running pen regularly, so i would not see a mating pair of coyotes in their to den.
Home of
Hazzards bawling bindy
Brankos stormy hill
Haderondah puppy tuppy
Haderondah mad jilly
Haderondah mystic blue

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

IMO if that pen is used regularly and there is human scent around I wouldn't think a coyote would climb in. If there is no evidence of tunneling under, or a hole in the wire I would lean toward the cat. All kinds of coyotes around one of the clubs I'm in and they have not climbed in to my knowledge. A lot of human scent in the grounds. Puncture wounds didn't kill it according to the vet, a broken neck or asphyxiation with the predator hanging on to the neck appears to be what killed it. A cat would go over a fence in a heartbeat. I just don't know why a cat would kill it unless it planned to eat it and then it got scared off before it could. You would think the cat would have carried it out also if it was scared off. Maybe it was a young one. It had to be something strong enough to break it's neck. I don't know if the eagle is capable of that and the punctures look like a cat or canine bite to me. Whatever it was, they all need to go if possible. If it was something that got scared off, it would be back for its kill you would think. A trail cam, as others have suggested, at the kill site might be the best chance you have for finding out. Good luck.
Last edited by SNOWDOGS1 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

hlane

Post by hlane »

i wouldnt rule out that eagle. i watch one kill a ground hog one time with no problem
Hammer Lane Kennels

haderondah

Post by haderondah »

Go to youtube and watch them hunt fox and wolf with eagles. They grab them by the neck, pin them down and snap their neck.
Home of
Hazzards bawling bindy
Brankos stormy hill
Haderondah puppy tuppy
Haderondah mad jilly
Haderondah mystic blue

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Those Eagles you seen on YouTube hunting wolves and foxes are golden eagles. They are much bigger than the American Bald Eagle. During harsh winters the lakes and rivers will freeze over and their fish supply will dwindle and they will become desperate for food. When the drive in a wild animal kicks in to survive they will go after anything. In Alaska their has been cases where bald eagles will attack and attempt to carry off small children. So I agree with hlane, don't rule out an eagle.

From all the nature shows I have watched I've seen that mountain lions will put leaves and dirt on their prey after a kill to hide it and later to come back to eat. I see from the picture that it does look like dirt in on your dog, don't know if it's body was completely buried or not.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

haderondah

Post by haderondah »

Bald eagles are bigger than the golden eagles.
Home of
Hazzards bawling bindy
Brankos stormy hill
Haderondah puppy tuppy
Haderondah mad jilly
Haderondah mystic blue

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

haderondah wrote:Bald eagles are bigger than the golden eagles.
Maybe in height but goldens weigh more. I've seen where golden hunt baby sheep goats on the cliffs.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Man, that's awful! Especially a good, well bred hound like that. Best of luck to you finding out what happened & hope you don't get too discouraged & quit. That's how I would feel for a while anyway.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Newt

Post by Newt »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote:I think I'd have to agree with B.C. as to a territiorial coyote attack.Had one of my females get grabbed by coyotes several years ago here on a Tn. W.M.A.I saw the coyotes [two ] going for the dog.They didn't kill her but bit her in the neck like what your's showed.
I had a four month old pup attacked. Just as you said, they broke its neck. I scared them off but the pup neck was broken and it couldn't move except to hollar. I had to kill the pup.

I had another one attacked. They grabbed her neck and bent the name tag on her collar into a V shape. It saved her life.

Wild creatures instinctively go for the neck if they intend to kill

beaglestotrack

Post by beaglestotrack »

with it only having three puncture holes I would probably lean towards the eagle. when a child kills on territory they generally tend to bite two or three times shaking the prey till its dead. wolfs eat what they kill for the most part. cats will take it to the nearest tree. with all this said it is very possible that that Eagle killed your dog. Eagles also have very long talins. I have seen them grab big ole house cats

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

beaglestotrack wrote: wolfs eat what they kill for the most part.
You are misinformed.