AKC Prices

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

NoShowBeagles

Re: AKC Prices

Post by NoShowBeagles »

pineridgebeagles wrote:Gun Runner,I agree with most of what you say but not all,I have never seen any of the hounds you mention and they have made a large impact on beagling today,but there are alot of small back yard kennels that produce good houndsyear after year that are not known because the dont trial and get their names and pictures in a magazine.In the early years you saw names like Jonny Miller,Earl Brunner,Mark Swartz and the list could go on.The hounds these guys bred also made a huge impact on the beagling world.Let me go watch a hound run ,watch it hunt and look to see if its tail had no hair and if i like it I will buy a pup whatever the price,papers or no papers,and run the tail of it..Al
amen to everything you said!!!
NOSHOW BEAGLES
PROGRESSIVE PACK GUNDOGS
KYLE BRAGG
NOSHOW WHITE GIRL
DADDY RABBIT'S TARA
NOSHOW HELLO DARLIN
NOSHOW IM NOT LISA
828-460-1373

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

Hey bigdog not saying you would do that but that is way i like paper on dogs.Its a little harder to do that on pups.But you are right 100% i bet it happens all the time.Not saying paper make a dog run better at all.What i spend my money on is what i want and if all the paper work does not match up i will not spend the money.I run branko dogs and have some with Northway/Reffets on the bottom side.So that is my storie and iam sticking to it :nod:
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

bigdog

Post by bigdog »

gun runner. your right i would not do that because AKC doesnt mean squat to me.i dont run akc never have and never will.but people complain all the time about stuff like this. if people dont like it dont do it. i like NKC littlepack its about the same year after year. few changes not many.

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

Pineridge and GunRunner: What does not having hair on a dogs tail mean as far as the quality of the dog? I ask because I used to know some dog traders that would put their dogs in small cages with wire tops. I innocently asked why and they said to wear the hair off the tail so they look better. The same issue with toe nails. They would put a large piece of sandpaper down for the dogs to walk on. Wore the nails down and toughened the pads of the feet. Ear scratches were done with a needle or a knife to make the dog look like a briar patch hound.

Cosmetically, these dogs would end up looking like pretty good dogs. Did people fall for it? Yep. Sure did. Gave $275 for one when that was a lot of money for me. Kept it about 15 hours.

chefboy_d

Post by chefboy_d »

I started this post to see if the price change from AKC has changed anyone mind about the up keep on AKC papers? Or if there was anyone else out there that might feel like I do about quiting AKC due to price changes. One question I have is lets say I have a great stud dog named Bingo or Shilo or whatever, I feel a lot of people would breed to this dog if he had AKC papers but I also feel that many people would stear away from him if he had no AKC papers. Lot of people breed for traits and bloodlines, lets say this dog had it all. How many people wouldnt consider this hound if he did not have AKC papers? I would like peoples honest opinion about the papers only, not dog traits, or dog traders, or field trialers.

Blackwater

Post by Blackwater »

I have both, grade and AKC dogs. I feel that if I buy a dog with papers, I will keep the dog papered or if I have a litter with two papered dogs, I will regester the pups. I kind of feel that I owe it to all the owners in the pedegree that kept their paperwork up. I might even feel I owe it to the dog.

With that said, I'm not a fan of the AKC. I have never been afraid of grade dogs and I will never be. Sometimes I feel that I might do more research on a grade dog's bloodline by making phone calls, asking questions, watching the dog, and only dealing with people I TRUST! I think too many times, people buy a dog or pup by papers only(I have been guilty of this) and who's to say that the dog is even the dog on the papers. The times I have dealt with Houndsmans that I trust, I usualy have a dog I like and most of them have been grade dogs.

So to answer you questions: No, I don't think the price increase will change my mind on keeping up the papers (at least not yet), but I would buy or breed you grade hound in a second if I trust you.
Casey Cunningham
Blackwater Beagles
La Monte, MO

bigdog

Post by bigdog »

would someone tell me what they consider a grade dog. mine are NKC and i can trace them back seveal generations. some have even won the NKC littlepack world. so are the so called AKC any better. so to answer your question. i would buy a pup or even breed a female to a good dog with a good bloodline. even if it doesnt have AKC papers. plus if your dogs are doing well in the trials u prob wont have any trouble selling pups without akc papers.