Hare Hunting Drummond Island

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

S.R.Patch

Re: Hare Hunting Drummond Island

Post by S.R.Patch »

To many people, more coming in as we left. Birds were good but we also saw more bird hunters than ever before(good news travels fast).
The far east is jeep/snowmobile trail mostly, less pressure, game migrates toward less pressure/ wolf migrate with the game. Lots of deer for the wolf to feed on but he won't tolerate another canine in his territory, even the coyote is not this dumb.
I haven't talked to my good friend harehunter for awhile ,but even he was tired of feeding his beagles to the wolves... :angryfire:
The States been logging out the old timber in the mid-eastern part the last couple of years, we've seen the trucks come out an go north and south, money is tight everywhere.
If the pressure increases with the opening up of the ground the next few years and the big lake freezes in winter, the nomad should cross the ice and return to his northern Canadian home. :crossfingers:

hammerenpatch

Post by hammerenpatch »

SR we must have missed you I wanted to run with you and see your hounds go heard alot of good things
maybe we can hook up the next time if there is anything left to run up north.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Yes, our plans were all awash this year, the changes at work, Steve and Marshall got tired of me moving the date back... :(
I only took a couple old hounds and some youngsters, we had a few good runs but always ended looking up the pups in the evening. They got wilder with each day, better to mature them on cottontail me thinks, they would push the hare out and then get lost. The private property along the north shore seems to be a favorite place for the hare to run after a start on public ground, they didn't want to come back and would keep to the private ground... :???:
I went by the cottage and talked to Rich and Darla, said you all had a big time, the yard looked like you had some hole diggers... :lol: ...Chucks a great guy for putting up with all us clowns...he spoke very highly of you as a guest... ;)

hammerenpatch

Post by hammerenpatch »

he is a great guy and a very good host " lucky me I never did get to see Darla" probably a good thing I wouldn't want the other guys getting mad
at me for talking to there Girl " LOL Had a blast and got to hear some of Gunners offspring run "cause ya know you don't see a whole lot of a race"
but they sure did sound good. I was lucky enogh to see a blurr cross 4 feet from me and the hounds about 10 ft behind him it was great he crossed and
seconds later the pack crossed "good times".

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

I would like to add to the patting on ole Chucks back as well.
His hospitality is second to none, he makes you feel right at home.
I'm happy to be able to call him my friend.

Thanks Chuck for another fantastic vacation and my PA thanks you too.
We had a great time! :biggrin:

I do wish I could've stuck around to help close up the house but I had to be in NY on Sunday.
I apologize Buddy and promise to be there to help next year if I get invited.

I enjoyed running with you Mike, and are welcome in WI anytime you'd like to come up and run with the girls.
The only one that you need to worry about getting upset is Josh, I do recall him calling her his Island Girl! :lol:

It was nice seeing Josh, Howard and Chuck R again and was hoping DEA and Allniter would've stopped in for a visit also.

Charles, I too was hoping to run with you and see your hounds, one of these times we'll get together.
I enjoyed talking to you yesterday as well.

Swamp

allniter

Post by allniter »

SWAMPMAN --I didn't make it up this fall hope to make it in the spring ---DEA is up now for a couple weeks --JOSH --called and said it was like allways a BLAST --sense he lives about 20 miles from me now we are going to run some when the deer season slows down some ---no GUN just a walking stick :lol: :lol: :lol:
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Hey Thanks guys,
I'm just happy that you guys will put up with me. After all I do have alot of rules :hammer:

Swamp you know you guys are always invited, in fact you should just plan on coming up every year :nod: and the same goes for S R, Hammeren Patch, Budd, Steve and Marshall, Howard and Josh (Darla would be heart broken if I didn't invite Josh) Househounds, We always have a good time and as long as my body and Wife ;) let me I will be hosting the "Rabbit Camp"

THANKS AGAIN GUYS

reddog