A True Beagle...

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bev
Site Admin

Re: A True Beagle...

Post by Bev »

I like them all, too, but my weakness is this:

...and I especially love to see them run on snow:

:biggrin:

We all feed what we like, right? :cool:

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

i dont like them to have more legs than body
the block head and broad cheast is what i like
13 inch to 15 not a 16th more.
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

all else equal . leggy slim dogs ----can move in deep snow---------- they dont plow ---

so thats what i like --- :D

i used to have some grade beagles looked just like old forger---

they had some of best noses ive seen ---- i liked those short fat pumpkins too :D

far as this pure beagle test--- not sure i belive it--

what do they use to compare-----

say my "beagle" , comes back 1/16 lab-- so where do they get dna from a PURE lab-?where do they get dna from a pure beagle- ?-

i think this test may be a good guess on a shelter dog-- - not much more than that

im not sure there is any such thing as a purebred dog-- what do you use to compare -???

theres registered and not registered -

a grade dog is not registered , doesnt mean he isnt as pure as the average registered dog- -
most of my grade dogs are crossbred- but some just beagles -for a few generations anyway - :)

id be glad to donate some dna--from some crossbred dogs- to test that test lol
-

i got a pic for ya---- lol

left--------sweaglet ... 4 -5months old -------- 1/8 basset /3/8 swisshound / 1/2 beagle-
looks a little like bevs favorite to me :D i cant SEE any basset in her- :)

right 1yr old sweagle - lol 1/2 beag 1/2 swiss ---he kinda looks like an old fashioned beagle to me-- half beagle --lol

bev , i like to see them run on snow too -- i use crossbred dogs alot- theres a difference between running on snow and running under snow - :D

which dog in this pic is purebred akc high fallutin registered beagle-? - one is just an old barnyard grade dog- :) -- this pic is last seconds of a 3 hour run-- last day of our season last year-- -
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Snowshoehareguide, that's an awesome pic of those beagles in the snow, lol! I like your other hounds, too. I like hounds, period. Mine are 100% beagle. They are 50/50 cottontail/hare breeding. Most of the litter took on the hare breeding looks.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I've traced hounds back to English imports whose kennels were among the most impressive of those across the pond. One hound, Wooddale Publican 1910A was whelped by a 15 1/2" Stud Book harrier Roundway Pastime 06'.
The "A" appendix after the year, indicates an outcross onto harrier breeding. This hound bred to another beagle, offspring would be noted by having the "B" appendix after the year. This hound being bred to another beagle would have the appendix "C" after it's year, and the next cross of this hound onto beagle would carry no appendix letter, considering it to be full beagle again.
An Island where fresh blood and travel was limited, the blending of blood was the only means of new infusion. Of course size and hound qualities were of the highest requirement for such a crossing of the blood.
My book says, "Roundway Pastime 06', a brilliant bitch in that brilliant kennel". Sir Newton Rycroft placed Publican as one of the top 5 hounds he liked most to see in a beagles pedigree at that time. Of the Quarme Harriers it is said they were most dominant for quickness, nose and that lovely fluid action which goes with the best of shoulders.
A hound at that time was judged on the sport it gave and the success of the endeavor... ;)

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

I like hounds, period
yup me too
i prefer to call my crossbred mutts ""rabbit hounds "" i even call some of my beagles that --- lol

guess thats dumb, because i never run rabbits - :D

i like hounds period , too :D

that pic of beagles heads sticking out of snow , is just to show why i mess with crossbreds -
they were going as hard as they could , just to move ,all day long - :)

i like to run on snow---not under it- :oops:
we did have a great day that day with only beagles --

i wouldnt have wanted to see another 6 inches of snow-- it was about the max for beagles - :)
guess what im trying to get at --

when they bust a gut ,, all day long - thats what defines a true beagle to me-

or a real rabbit hound :D

A hound at that time was judged on the sport it gave and the success of the endeavor

at that time and now :D
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

tiffinis

Post by tiffinis »

SR, as always, you and Eberle amaze me with your knowledge!!! Kudos.

Bev, I love your hounds with half colored faces, they just have a look about them. The shot of them in the snow shows awesome movement.

All of our hounds are 15" or over. The longer legs help in what we run. Wish we had hare here to run, cause I know they would give them a run for their money.

One thing that I have noticed about current AKC bench hounds, they have alot more muzzle, flews and alot shorter heads then you used to see in the old H&H magazines.
AKC
Muzzle--Muzzle of medium length-straight and square--cut--the stop moderately defined. Jaws--Level. Lips free from flews; nostrils large and open.
Patch Addict