Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Aubrey Holcombe

Re: Run to catch

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Hello:
Man those are two Mighty find look Hounds !
My blue tick pup "Spit" is a Spitting image of that male in the photo. maybe not quite as heavy but nice trim front legs and the pup can travel, Nose to the ground, at all times. Is he kind to that blue tick?

I have been running my pup in the wild, and he will not run deer, but if we get in a spot can't find any rabbits, he will track a Bob Cat. Let me say he would take a cat, but that thing put a Ring Around his Collar ?? He came looking for that old Red Neck setting in that Kubota RTV 900 ? HE WAS RUNNING flat out up a saw mill road, where I was setting in my Kubota, when I seen him take that cat track, so I hit him on three on my Tri-Tronic S.C.
He never did slow up, jumped up in the seat with me !! Think he got the message?

Weather has turned Bad here. in the teens overnight and below freezing untill noon time, so I have to stay inside with this kind of mess outside.
Not many pups will turn down a Bob Cat, bet he will not take it next time.

Sure enjoyed the photo's of the hounds, you boys tougher that this Ga. Red. Neck.

D.R.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

warddog

Post by warddog »

I like how Tess is put together as she looks real fine boned as I call them. How tall is she as she seems small too? I like them built like the running gear of a katydid. :lol: One of the best ones I ever owned was put together like her and the best one my dad ever owned was colored like her. That picture brought back more old memories. Oh and let me add that doesn't take a thing away from the bluetic either as he is awesome to look at too!

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey Daddy Rabbit and Warddog
Glad to see at least a couple of you guys read and respond to this post and help keep The American Beagler going. I wish more would chime in with some thoughts / input / photos. This is a forum which means it's open to all.I don't want to feel like the lone ranger just posting my thoughts or doings.
I'm certainly not trying to promote a thing as none of my dogs are for sale,I keep no stud,haven't been to a trial in years and raise a litter about once every 2 years.
The impetus for this post is all about beagles,rabbits,hunting,running,breeding,vet care,hunting friends and fellowship and for a guy that's been doing this for 50 years sharing some memories and experience.
If you check out some of the other beagle web sites as I have it can get pretty discouraging in a hurry. There's so much trash talk with rotten language,constant sex references,insulting each other and their dogs,accusations of cheating,drug use,booze consumption,etc.,etc.,etc. I DON'T CARE ABOUT ANY OF THAT ! There,got that off my chest.
Daddy Rabbit. So glad to hear that Spit is doing well.The bluetick male in the pic. is out of Shady Grove's Bombay Slam x Shady Grove's Tn. High Test and is coming 3 years old in March. He's a litter mate to rabbithoundjb's Dan dog that he's mentioned.
His sire "Bomber" is a half brother to your Spitfire's mother Josie.Both of them being sired by Jonah Staten's Blue Samurai.
Warddog. Thanks for the comments on Tess. It's probably the pic. as she actually measures right around 14" and Her son Ranger is closer to 14 1/2" - 14 3/4". Don't know if I'd call her "fine boned" - she's definitely not feisty built. Check out her pic on page 10 of this post when she had the collar on.Look at Tess' mother [Rainy ] on page 14 when she won the only trial she was ever in and look at Queen on page 17 [Tess x Bomber ].
I like a hound that is built to run and looks like he can --- up on legs,narrow deep chest,cat footed,medium ear,good spring to their back and a good looking well proportioned head.Not a fan of heavy built hounds with broad shoulders,wide chests,droopy ears and heavy heads.
I like a hound that glides through the woods effortlessly negotiating the terrain with minimum effort. To me a heavy built hound runs heavy -- pounding along rather than flowing.
Anyways....... it's cold today and I don't feel like hunting .Too much time on this computer !! As always JMHO.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

warddog

Post by warddog »

Definitely has to be the picture as I had to flip flop back and forth as I thought I was comparing the wrong pictures. I doubt that neck scarf she had on made that much difference. LOL She certainly looks bigger in that picture in all ways. Love all the pictures.

Shady Grove Beagles

Had a pretty good hunt up in Grainger County today hunting with my son Zack,Keith,Brandon Reed and Bradley Reed.
I get invited to bring the beagles up for a rabbit hunt a couple times a season and it's just a great piece of ground to run on.
Big rolling hills and hollers with a lot of wide open pastures.When you get a rabbit up they run BIG and hard.There were numerous times today where you could see the cotton tail streaking across a wide open hillside pasture 200 yards away and here come the girls just a flying ! Pretty exciting pedal to the metal drives and then hitting super thick briers ,putting him around in that and driving him out across the fields again. Young Brandon [ 15 ] put down a couple with some nice long range shooting.
Dogs ran down and caught the first rabbit of the day after a hard 45 minute run -- run to catch.
Attachments
DSCN0559 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN0559 (600 x 450).jpg (118.72 KiB) Viewed 14776 times

warddog

Post by warddog »

Love the pictures with the stories.

Aubrey Holcombe

Good looking pack of hounds, and always good to have a spot to run like you described, I can can remember, a spot like that here near my Kennels, fellow from Fla. owned and let me run my hounds there back in the 90's . It changed hands now days , it posted and no one can hunt it anymore.

Sorry I didn't have phone on me a few days ago, Dana when you gave me a call, I was in Athene Ga. for a Dr.'s appointment, can't keep it on so I just left it here at the house. Was late when I got home and seen where you was going a Gun Hunting next day, so I didn't call back, let you rest up .

The photo and the hounds sure looking good.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Aubrey Holcombe wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:42 pm
Good looking pack of hounds, and always good to have a spot to run like you described, I can can remember, a spot like that here near my Kennels, fellow from Fla. owned and let me run my hounds there back in the 90's . It changed hands now days , it posted and no one can hunt it anymore.

Sorry I didn't have phone on me a few days ago, Dana when you gave me a call, I was in Athene Ga. for a Dr.'s appointment, can't keep it on so I just left it here at the house. Was late when I got home and seen where you was going a Gun Hunting next day, so I didn't call back, let you rest up .

The photo and the hounds sure looking good.

DR how you've been.
You still breeding the run train. Any pups or running dogs for sale

warddog

Post by warddog »

Aubrey Holcombe wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:42 pm
And therein is what takes us back to several previous posts. Folks are very fortunate to have several places to run much less to hunt areas in which game is held these days. I remember the time several years ago when the price of coon pelts went to $50.00 and one had to nearly draw a number to hunt some private property much less public. While out hunting dogs we many times came upon people driving the roads shinning trees without a dog in the vehicle which we called killing coon and not hunting. It was at a time or cycle where nature had also brought the parvo disease into the coon population which dwindled them down as well. it took a few years but the population and the pressure subsided as the price of pelts hit bottom as well. So many factors that have adversely impacted hunting and hunters but the one thing that nature can not fix is man. Just in my lifetime as a hunter and dog runner I have went from running coon hounds several nights a week to NONE, hunting deer never to nearly everyday in deer season and from running or rabbit hunting every weekend, all weekend to doing so a handful of times during season and running even less out of season. I suspect that as the property gets less available and the game on what is available hard to find those times will dwindle even more. It has already came to the point that the line of dogs I have had for many, many years has me left with only two 10 year old females that I have failed to get bred. I suspect when those are gone so goes my physical rabbit chasing too but it will probably never go from my blood.

Shady Grove Beagles

Rabbit hunting -- An American Tradition and one that I've been participating in for 55 years now.
Hunting the hills and hollers of Grainger County,Tn. with Keith,Brandon and my son Zack.
Thank you Lord for your creation.
Attachments
83967653_838760459899097_7234303434319462400_n (3).jpg
83967653_838760459899097_7234303434319462400_n (3).jpg (146.01 KiB) Viewed 14375 times

Aubrey Holcombe

Good looking country, bet You fellows have to be in Good Shape to tackle those hills! Tenn. I suppose ?
I been two times this week, ran 9 hounds Monday. Got up to 70 degrees about mid day. Not many rabbits left this late in the season had some good long races, "Spit" loves the running so far has not ran off and left my other hounds, I do have a few that I have to leave him, at home when I take the Pup.

One day I left him at home when I was wanting to get a few of my young hounds shot over,, he had a fit!! Made me feel bad, the way he was taking on.

When is your season up there in Tenn. closed, 28th. I like that photo, was it made near your home?

D.R.```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

warddog

Post by warddog »

Sure is beautiful country and from where I sit those hills are nothing like our stripper God piles we call hills but rather MOUNTAINS. What a view from there.

Aubrey Holcombe

I Keep coming back and taking a good look at this Photo, Dana that is the most beautiful scenery, for rabbit hunting think I ever seen? Now if I having to walk, most likely wouldn't think it was so nice?

Now with my old Kubota RTV 900 4x4 diesel, could hut with the best of you boys. Been hunting with it now for about 5 years, Have to use it every day.

Bad weather here today, Tornado warnings just lifted for my county. was 70 degrees when this huge cloud raining start and lightning flashing we go over 5 inches of rain, in a short time my old dirt road look to be washed away!

Gotta run thanks or the photo of you all and the hounds a few days ago. Keep up the good work.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Nice pic Dana, one thing missing though for this time of year, SNOW! :D

How are you posting pics? Photo bucket charges now so I don't have a picture hosting site.

Shady Grove Beagles

Daddy Rabbit. This picture where we were hunting is about an 1 1/2 hours from where I live -- wish it was just down the road.LOL.
My daughter-in-law's family is from that county and they own hundreds of acres up there and for the past 4-5 years I get invited to bring the beagles and we usually have some outstanding hunts.You are exactly right though. That country is all hills and hollers and some pretty steep.Wish I had your Kubota to ride in.
Warddog. The view from that property is fantastic as it feels like you are hunting on top of the world.You can see for miles in most every direction.It's a very rural county and if you know the folks up there you're in -- if you don't you're apt to hear " you ain't from around here are ya?" LOL
Hey Rowdy. Now don't jinx us with any of that snow talk. We had about 2 inches in mid November and that's plenty.In 24 years of living here in Tn. that's the only time I've seen snow in Nov. It was 73 degrees three days ago and my wife and I spent the afternoon on the lake in the kayaks.
As far a posting pictures.What I know about computers is very little.I don't use any kind of photo storage or photo posting site.I just connect my camera to my computer with a usb cord and load my pics in to the computer in the photos / documents section. Once they are there I use a site that Dan Lea told me about called PIXresizer. There you can resize your pic so that it will fit on the board posting.Click on your post to include an "attachement" and when you attache your photo it will come up with your message when you hit "post".
Wish I could be more articulate but in the famous words of Forest Gump " and that's all I know about that".