Ticks Galore !!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

S.R.Patch

Ticks Galore !!!

Post by S.R.Patch »

Took some bitches out for a run. Walked around maybe 5 acres to get them a start and then went back to the tailgate to let them run. Luckily I had a light gray t-shirt on and saw a couple of ticks crawling. Once I got to looking, I must have picked 50 (deer)ticks off my faded blue jeans!!!
I had just dipped the hounds in Permetherin the day before, so they stayed clean but I hadn't sprayed myself and got loaded with ticks.
I don't know how the animals survive with so many blood suckers out there. The coyotes I've seen look awful mangy and thin.
This may be a looong summer.

Rabbithoundjb

Re: Ticks Galore !!!

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Permetherin IMO is the best stuff for ticks, works well for me. I spray on 40 deet for me

warddog

Post by warddog »

I knew the ticks were gonna be bad when I got loaded with them every time I went mushroom hunting. Those little ticks are hard to find until they are chomping on you!

513Moogie

Post by 513Moogie »

Pulled over 100 off me and my 4 about a month ago after a run. They've let up some but still the worst year ever I remember in southwest Oh.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

The ticks have been absolutely terrible this Spring here in east Tennessee. Probably the worst I've seen.
After every run I spend a fair amount of time picking them off me and the beagles.The little /tiny seed ticks are the worst as they are so small as to be almost invisible until they bite!
Thought they were bad here but just got back from running dogs for the past four days with my friend Jonah Staten up near Lancaster,Ohio and they were wicked bad !!! After running every morning I would pick as many as 10-15 ticks out of each beagle's ears.
How are you guys using the permetherin? Buy it as a concentrate? Diluting it? Applying directly on your beagles? How often?
Thanks for any info.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Been wicked here too! Ran last Saturday. When I got home I had 3 on me and got 1 of of one of the 2 dogs I was running. Pretty sure the mild winter is what's made them bad here in the Northeast! :shock: ;)

Markday

Post by Markday »

Can't enjoy doing anything here in southern Ohio because the little blood suckers. I remember when I was a kid you could run all over this hill and maybe get one dog tick on you now you take two steps in the weeds and your covered in the little deer ticks. I'm afraid there here for good because we have killed deer in the winter and found these ticks attached on them still.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Dana I use a dust, Tiger brand and Bayer make it. It's a garden dust. I put it in my dog box and in their houses, it has worked well for me. This past Sunday I probably had 15 on me after spaying with the deet repellent and only found 2 on all of the 6 dogs I ran.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I use the liquid 10% Permetherin. 3/4 oz to a gallon of water. 8 oz make 10 gal. of dip for me, get a 58 qt. plastic tub to stand the hound in. Have rubber gloves and a sponge handy. Stand the hound in tub and sponge over hound being sure to get the head, ears and all the under parts also most important. I make 5 gal @ a time and do all hounds. last 3-4 weeks. Last I bought @ $8, 8 oz bottle.
What's left over I strain into a pump-up sprayer and spray around the kennel and on my boots.
I ran bitches all week, any of the few ticks on them were dead and they mostly scratched them off, what they couldn't reach I pulled off but all were dead.
Used to use Paramite dip but can't find it any more.

Little Hawk

Post by Little Hawk »

You can get the paramite dip at revival animal health or on amazon or eBay good stuff.

RollingTrack

Post by RollingTrack »

.. :nod: DEEP.. IS THE NAME..FEED2WIN.COM...crap WORKS GUYS...FEED2WIN.COM
ROLLING KENNELLS
-------HOME of-------
RILEYS ROLLING DIRTY GIRL
RILEYS ROLLING JAZZY J
RILEYS ROLLING MISS DIXIE

Brice McGlamery

Post by Brice McGlamery »

THER BEST THING YOU CAN USE ON YOUR DOGS IS PROLATE USE ONE OUNCE TO ONE GAL OF WATER SPRAY THEM GOOD EVEN THE DAY BEFORE YOU RUN THEM AND YOU WILL NOT SEE A TICK OR FLEA .TRACTOR SUPPLY CARRIES IT. I SPRAY MINE ABOUT EVERY TWO WEEKS NO TICKS OR FLEAS