Attention: ohio dog runners

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

randy hicks

Attention: ohio dog runners

Post by randy hicks »

DNR is voting soon, the vote is to close state ground April 1st instead of May 1st.If you feel this shouldn't happen and would like it to stay the way it is, here is number to call 614/265/6907 ask for Dave Kohler.

tdog

Re: Attention: ohio dog runners

Post by tdog »

Thanks for posting this Randy. I am calling tomorrow. Let's make sure they hear from as many people as possible.

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Do not wait on this guys. Once they change it almost never goes back. ALL dog hunters should band together and start an association to help get your voices heard. Thankfully here in michigan we have the bear hunters association that gives all sporting dog owners a voice as well as giving support to other hunting interest to protect our rights. I hope everyone can help them from changing this. Get together and speak up.
Good Luck.
Tom summers

tdog

Post by tdog »

Here is the proposed rule. I would like to know how many training dogs kills ground nesting birds. Please post on as many other sites as possible. ODNR also has a face book page. I left a comment on there and encourage everyone else to do the same.

1501:31-9-05 Training Dogs (Effective March 1, 2016)
It is proposed to amend this rule by adding the month of April to the time when the training, exercising or working dogs on wildlife areas and public hunting areas is prohibited, unless approved by the Chief. The period closed to dog training will be from April 1st to August 31st, annually. This will provide additional protection for ground-nesting birds and reduce conflicts during the spring wild turkey season. The rule will be clarified to allow for the use of dogs in conjunction with legal hunting on these areas.

Flatlander2

Post by Flatlander2 »

I called and let them know my thoughts. This could also be an opportunity to push for more dog training areas throughout the state. Everyone does need to call and voice their opinion however because when I called the guy said he has never had 15 calls in an hour about an issue the whole time he has been there, but today he has had that happen. Lets make it 40 calls in an hour!
CH HBCH Fertelli's Flatlander Hailey
HBCH Fertelli's Johnnie Walker
Fertelli's Pay the Piper
Fertelli's Whiskey Shootin Cooper

ray s

Post by ray s »

I was his 20th call and we had a nice long conversation. we do need to call this guy, he is willing to listen. I left my name and number and he actually called me back.

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

I called today, also.

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Keep up the good work guys!

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

I went on their facebook page left a comment as well. I left it under the hunting column.

tdog

Post by tdog »

I posted in the comments section of the first page. I received a response the very next day. Please comment on their web site so they can see how important this decision is.

https://www.facebook.com/ohiodnr

rabbithunter1

Post by rabbithunter1 »

Here is the website to post your comments wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/.../proposed-rule-changes-csi

tdog

Post by tdog »

LINK FOR FORMAL COMMENT

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/stay-inform ... csi-review

Thanks again to Randy for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Please go to link and submit the formal comment to make sure we are heard.

I have tried to call Dave twice and no response yet.
Last edited by tdog on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

I called and left a message on Dave Kohler's voicemail.

Here in Meigs/Gallia Counties, I seldom run into a turkey hunter in April. Turkey Season doesn't open until late April, does it?

Also, most of the ground nesting birds are migratory, so their breeding season doesn't really get going until late in April or into May anyway.

These are points we can make to argue this decision, if given the chance.

Flattop

Post by Flattop »

Just an update on the proposal that the State had regarding times to run our hounds on State ground. I attended a meeting on September 23rd, 2015 and was able to give my opinion to the Board of Directors. After hearing my views, Mr. Dave Kohler responded that he was really surprised by the number of calls and emails he had received from houndsmen stating their concern. He stated the proposal for change was dropped for that meeting and will be brought up again in early spring 2016. According to Mr. Kohler the reason for the proposal was to help nesting birds but what it finally really was, more than anything, was the power of the turkey hunters ($$$$$$) . Mr. Kohler said that he was hoping to maintain the same amount of time per year, but drop the month of April and add the month of August to replace it. Thanks for giving us the hottest month of the year. We all need to stand together in the spring so we don't lose anything and convince them to make the running grounds available year round.

Thanks
Jeff Kerns
Flattop Kennels

ken pack

Post by ken pack »

Thanks...for letting use know I was wondering, I call him about this and had to leave a message on his answering machine GLAD that he had a lot of Calls about this !