Breeding vs.Bad Company

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Remmy

Breeding vs.Bad Company

Post by Remmy »

Hi guys/gals.

I'm picking up a new pup Wednesday and am already thinking about starting her in the spring.

I am currently running two hounds, that have a couple of faults. They could certainly hunt better, and they cold trail a bit. They run the rabbit well however, at a speed I like and handle like a dream. My goal is to add some hunt to my pack and if good enough, trial her.

Will I mess up her hunt and make her mouthy by running her with these dogs a lot or will she be what she is, due to genetics?

Thanks.
Brian
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

rabbitatfarm

Re: Breeding vs.Bad Company

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I would run her alone until she finds and runs her own rabbits. Hunt is genetics--behavior in the field is learned. IMO, running a pup with older dogs doesn't give the pup the opportunity to develop to its full potential. One, they can't keep up with the old dogs and are always looking at the dogs' behind. Two it encourages dog barking before the pup has the scent. If you have an old, slow dog that can show the pup where to hunt that works, as long as it's not too often. I'd get that pup out alone as often as possible and as soon as possible. Doesn't matter if he enters a brush pile for the first time at eight weeks or 12 months; it's still the first time. Just my thoughts.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I believe both can be a factor.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

South Woods kennel

Post by South Woods kennel »

Yes, i never run my pups with a faulty hound, they pick up on that stuff very easy!
Home of:

FC Lp South Woods Snooper
FC South Woods Cyclone
FC South Woods Miley
FC Lp South Woods Balla
CNLPC IFC South Woods Libby
NR FC South Woods Spike
FC South Woods Hazel

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Puppies usually find their ranking in the pack at the bottom. It's good to have fine examples for them to learn from. I usually start puppies together, if they're playing they're not ready to start but like children, trips afield are never a waste, they all learn something. There's an old saying, "three X solo, one X packing" is a safe well rounded way to go in starting puppies. You want to embolden and give confidence along with establishing a cooperative packing instinct. Build the bond and then give the puppy his reins to develop.
Good luck with your new pardner.

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

Thanks for the input and experiences.

Which leads me to my next question...

Is too much soloing a bad thing?
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

IMO, yes. My first beagle never learned to pack because I didn't have anyone to run with. He's going on 11 and still doesn't pack very well.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red