Beagle starting...Questions galore!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LoneBeagle

Beagle starting...Questions galore!

Post by LoneBeagle »

So I have about a million questions right now and wanted to make sure I'm not being an idiot or expecting too much from the dogs. Any and all advice will be helpful to a newbie.

Scene: Took my 8 month old pups out the last few weekends. Couldn't really kick up a rabbit to work with, so just kept trying. Finally, tonight my dad went along with me and we kicked one up with the pups. It was along the edge of a cut bean field/ water way. They couldn't seem to smell him in the drainage area/ waterway. He circled there twice before bouncing out onto the edge of the field. Came out into the bean field, ran a straight line for the large brush and left a trail about 60 yards long. Once the dogs got into the cut bean field, they picked up the line and tracked. They were on a line, clean. No sway one way or the other. Both dogs are faster than I expected. They began whimpering and on the verge of barking, but never came to full bark. This is an improvement, as they haven't had much run time or action with a live fuzzy. Then, they lost him where he went into the larger brush. They stuck with the trail, back tracked, came forward again. Couldn't ever make the pick up in the brush though. So exciting and heartbreaking at the same time.

1. Are the dogs making good progress for their age?
2. Is there anything I can do to help the dogs?

ken pack

Re: Beagle starting...Questions galore!

Post by ken pack »

Don't know how much time that your pups had on rabbits some guys start there pup in a starting pen to get started, if this is not possible get as many cottontails in front of your pups as possible too, the more rabbits in front of them the better you have to get them running. What I'm trying to say is the more you have them in the field the better there chances is to start. Keep taking them out ! Far as age wise.... some pups start earlier then others and some later I FOUND OUT most start at around 4 months to 6 months but that don't mean yours won't if you didn't get them out at 4 months or so.... just keep putting rabbits in front of them or if you can find a older finish hound that a little slower to get a rabbit up an he can take over if your pups can't work out the check to keep the bunnie moving. jmo

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

It sounds like they simply need more tracks. With as few rabbits as you seem to have, a starting pen may be a good option.

Where are you located?
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I agree; more time on the ground. As far as help, you can go to where they lost it in the brush and see if you can jump the rabbit again. Good luck and don't get discouraged.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Buckeye Bob

Post by Buckeye Bob »

Your doing the best thing. Starting in the wild. But, it takes a LOT of time and there has to be rabbits too. Sounds like they did ok. Once they are doing what yours did I am looking for a little improvement each time out. You can help by just standing in the area they last had it and encouraging them to stay there. This is not the time to be loud or order them around the funner it is for them the better. Another thing I would do, just a strong personal opinion from experience, if the pup is naturaly fast they are not so easily I influenced at a loss by another one leaving the loss. I always start mine alone. Good luck and keep takng them out. They are not only learning how to run a rabbit but are being exposed to all the different terrain a rabbit is in.

LoneBeagle

Post by LoneBeagle »

Thanks for the thoughts. I think things are going pretty well. I just stood in the corner of the field where the rabbit went into the brush. Not on the track line, but about 3-4 yards to the side. I didn't say anything just stood by while they worked it.

I know rabbits are here. Cold weather is coming this week which will help thin out the cover a bit. If I could get a little snow, that would be awesome. Sometimes, the dang wildlife makes a guy feel like Elmer Fudd. :D

Hammerpolly

Post by Hammerpolly »

Ive got a 8 yr old male straight broke rabbit dog slow good for startting pups. Id take $100 for him.
Breed and hunt dogs that have strong desire, hunt hard, are pretty, have natural ablity in the field, and are smart. Hammer Talkin Beagles

LoneBeagle

Post by LoneBeagle »

Vernon I will give ya a call. Have your number and will catch up with ya shortly.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

startin g pen is way more easier . I always use them.....but don't let them back track..
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Lone beagle, get a cheap rabbit trap and trap a rabbit. Bring the pups to the trap and tease them with the caged rabbit until they start going nuts. Then open the trap and grab the rabbit and let them get there nose full of scent then put the rabbit down and let it go in front of the pups. Do this once or twice let them smell and see what they will be chasing and then bring them out into the wild and kick up some rabbits for them. They wool catch on quicker. I usually start showing them rabbits at 4 1/2 months most I've breed start at about 5 months. A few I've had very few stat a little later but some times the late starters have been real nice ones. Good luck. DH

LoneBeagle

Post by LoneBeagle »

Thanks DH! Plan to use the trap over Thanksgiving break.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I think your pups are beyond the "trapped rabbit" stage. Time is what they need, time to learn to hunt for their own rabbit, time to get in and work the checks and losses in the brush-piles. Nothing you can do for that except stay close and encourage them along when they struggle. They have to learn to get in the brush to jump and work out the check. Hunt desire needs to be there, jumping rabbits for them or setting a rabbit loose in front of them doesn't help.
Running a beautiful line means nothing if you have to jump the rabbit and the race ends at the first brush-pile. Even if you have to kill a rabbit, let them smell it and then throw it into the brush-pile, get them to go into the pile to get the rabbit. Maybe it will break the ice and get them to hunting. jmho

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Patch good info but he is asking about starting pups. They are not running.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Sorry, I read his post and it sounded like they were running and whimpering on track but lost the rabbit in the brush-pile and quit.
My comprehension must be failing me again, I'll go back and reread the post again... :oops:

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Patch , might have been me that misunderstood. I thought he hadn't started them yet....dh