Strangest Off-Game Chase to Date

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

gunslinger

Re: Strangest Off-Game Chase to Date

Post by gunslinger »

Funniest off race I ever had was a house cat.

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

15" female winners pack.....dogs struck and literally burnt up the track circle after circle...9 of the proudest dog owners you have ever seen, every dog was getting a piece. Till the coyote they were running about ran the one judge over :lol: .

Another one was and Armadillo in Arkansas....coming from Ohio, never seen on of those ugly suckers before. :shock:

Another was an unnamed hound :roll: treeing a squirrel at a trial...not like bark once or twice...this was full blown paws on the tree and head laid back chopping every breath...it was impressive....and a long ride home. :lol:
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

I judged a pack of hounds at Camp Robinson in Mayflower AR. once where they stock quail for bird dog field trials. Heard em fire up something that just didn't sound right, caught up just in time to see that pack losr their mind when about 30 quail got airborn and scatter in every direction.

aaron westedt

Post by aaron westedt »

My FC's caught and stretched a kit coon in"their" grounds two weeks ago while half swimming in water.

Two years ago some young dogs treed a ermine [weasel] while up running hare. The weasel was white and bouncing from tree to tree. Ground was bare yet.
FC Green Bay Dickey Doo
FCGD Green Bay Moxy Foxy

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

Big Mike wrote:there was a hound DQ' ed at the PP US championship a few years ago for running an owl.
This happened on bramer hill I think it was. Judge said ground owl.
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

We had hounds flush an owl over on Old Ben Two yrs. ago, they trailed right up to it. The answer was, the owl had swooped in and was eating the rabbit. Hawks and owls were notorious for catching the rabbits we were chasing especially the redtails, they would circle and cruse above where the hounds were running as they had learned we were moving game.
Cutting hay is always a upsetting time as the hawks would start working the field before we were done, catching the rabbits as they made their break across the mowed area towards the woods.

I had a couple of little grade males once that would "whimper" on quail scent and trail them up to a flush. Never caused any problems and we would often go home with a few birds in the bag also.

2500 HD

Post by 2500 HD »

Mink at a pp state hunt champion cast. My hound was the last one to commit but that doesn't matter he still did it.

RABBITBUTCHER

Post by RABBITBUTCHER »

SPEAKING OF QUIAL AT MAYFLOWER AK I WAS IN A CAST WERE THERE A FEW DOGS THAT STUCK BIRDS SEVEN OR EIGHT TIMES AND THE JUDGES DID NOTHING AND ONE THE DOGS PLACED IN THE HUNT
I WILL NOT BE BACK UNLESS I AM BIRD HUNTING BECAUSE THERE ARE VERY FEW RABBITS AND STOCK BIRDS,THEY NEED TO STOCK RABBITS
HOME OF HOF FC FLETCHER'S ELECTRA

48180 Hunter

Post by 48180 Hunter »

A Turkey

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

One year I was running my male, near FC Wells' Timber at Huron Valley's field trial in Michigan. The dogs made two circles just pounding & my dog just jogged along behind with no interest; We thought they were on a rabbit & I was singing the blues thinking he must be sick or something. I had never been so happy & relieved when a pheasant finally flew up. I was surprised also that he wouldn't run it because I had a terrible time breaking him from quail when he was a pup.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

Ohiohntr wrote:
Another was an unnamed hound :roll: treeing a squirrel at a trial...not like bark once or twice...this was full blown paws on the tree and head laid back chopping every breath...it was impressive....and a long ride home. :lol:

ohhihntr, you checked the prices for squirrel dogs lately?
Big Mike