Conformation in Mid-West hounds

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ironjawdawgs

Re: Conformation in Mid-West hounds

Post by ironjawdawgs »

Hear is a HEAVY Spur bred male. (Black Magic son) This Joker has a set of ears on him. Not to mention a houndy head in my opinion. lol!
Here's is Master Tom when I had him up here breeding him. He's a product of Jumpmaster bred over a Ninja bitch. I'd say he was awful houndy looking. The red and white female is Tammy Ellen out of Northway Iceman who's a Spur son bred over a Jumpmaster daughter.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Yes, more houndy than most hounds anywhere I'd say. I probably shouldn't have said anything about Spur's ears. I definitely admire Northway breeding.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

WELLS WOODS wrote:Yes, more houndy than most hounds anywhere I'd say. I probably shouldn't have said anything about Spur's ears. I definitely admire Northway breeding.
lol! I didn't post because I took any type of an offense. I've only seen maybe one pic of spur and I couldn't begin to tell you if he was short in the ears or not. Now I know I've seen some dogs from Ninja with shorter ears and skinner snout then I care for. I talked to Paul a couple days ago and I'm getting the pleasure to send him a pup heavy line bred from his stuff. Hopefully he likes the pup and it's good enough to see the trailing circuit up north.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Okay, good luck ironjawdawgs!
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

In the last few years, Denny Dugan has had some of the best running & best looking full blooded Branko dogs I've ever seen. So in my opinion even the Branko line is producing a better hound today. IFC Branko's Lumberjack was a very athletic built hound & most of Denny's FC hounds are Lumberjack bred crossed with Ali-Baba & Heli-Prop from what I understand. IFC Branko's Warlock has produced some Mid-West FC's in recent years also.
Anyone that has seen a picture of IFC Melanson's Ranger Dan knows that he was definitely not the best looking hound in the world, but he produced some extremely talented hounds & his offspring I've seen from Mid-West bitches owned by Keith Weyers, Mike Blackburn & Tony Eyer were much better looking hounds than Dan was himself. Ron Conroe's FC JR's Top Gun Tyke, by Dan & a double FC Round Pond Mr. T bitch, was a very nice looking, well built little male that made winning look easy with speed, brains & control. Adam Seger's IFC Greenbay Shooter, bred by Keith Weyers (WI) is a beautiful hound in every way & was also the Mid-West All-Age Top Sire last year. FWR Eyer's Geneo by Dan has produced 7 AKC Mid-West FC's ! That is almost unheard of from a Mid-West hound & put Geneo in the Mid-West Hall Of Fame. Tony Eyer's hounds based on Ranger Dan, Mr.T & Blue Sly (Northern MI. LPH breeding) are well built with a houndy look also.
That goes to show that breeders that have valued & bred for good conformation for years can outcross to a stud they admire in the field even though he may not quite meet their standards in looks & still get good results.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

HS Run, looks like your Abby had New City Crystal on both sides of her pedigree. I've heard guys talk about her producing ability. I think she had the old Northwoods & Huntmaster in her breeding.
Some of those early dogs were better than some people may think.
P.S. I see you have a Chance x Singer male that Kelly raised; how good is he ?
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

HS Run

Post by HS Run »

WELLS WOOD- I really like Stumpy... I just got him in may and entered him in Coshocton hunt and made winners pack got picked up 7th. put him in 2 ARHA PP hunts and placed both times with a 2nd only to lose to a young male out of my Hillary female(speedy sport)... so I figure I actually won twice that day! lol. I'll be breeding her to IFC Captain Pickard when she comes back in heat. Went and checked him out month or so ago...Wow!! really nice looking hound.
Gonna put Stumpy in North Central trial and a few more so only time will tell... :D

randy hicks

Post by randy hicks »

just read wilderness patchwork the ideal dog and trials started long ago. the mid west I really enjoy the sport, northern hare what a chase, the conformation of hounds is just as good today as back long ago in the sport.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Randy, your FC Hickster's Intimidator was a nice looking dog. Somehow, I missed seeing him run, but he must have been a good one considering the hounds that he beat in the Mid-West's 15" male class at the time. I think Marvin Bowman ran against you several times with FC Branko's Lumber Easy Rider. He told me how good your dog was. Rider was another hound that was easy on the eyes!
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

weedeater kennel

Post by weedeater kennel »

greg i agree with you i have seen this in arha there is some very nice dogs out there just look at general services and you will see the differnce

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Scott Music's FC White Oak Creek's Blitz's Jada was by Marvin's FC Branko's Lumber Easy Rider & FC White Oak Creeks B & J's Blitz. Blitz was by FC White Oak Creek's William Henry & White Oak Creek's Jammin' Jessie. Pretty sure William Henry was by FC Turbo Powered By Prop & Henry Moore's Yellow Creek Abigail & Jessie had a little IFC Taylor's Sock It To Me blood through Mid-West legend, FC Jerry's Shana Brooke if I remember right. Talk about some guys with a strong bitch line; Field Champion bitches every generation since the early '90's at least.
Scott & Bill Music have no trouble dominating a trial or two with a new 15" bitch every time the wind changes it seems.lol.. Their dogs are all a big, well built, strong made, tri-colored hound. Scott then bred his Blitz's Jada to IFC Riley's Rolling Trails ( IFC Stoneyhills Gator x FC RJ's Tall Tails ) & got FC White Oak Creek Jada's Bella. Bella was one of the best hounds I've ever seen run PERIOD! The conformation on these bitches has stayed consistent through the years. He then crossed Jada with NLPC FC Main Events Showtime( FC Hill's Primetime Trailblazer x FWR Hill's Hardrockin' Wendy) & has two beautiful big bitches that are top notch also. You'd be hard pressed to find a better success story in the Mid-West than White Oak Creek Kennels.
Last edited by WELLS WOODS on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Weedeater, You are right; It looks like the ARHA legends have nice conformation. Your Spot dog is one fine specimen & from what I hear he runs just as good as he looks. Chad Blair's Phantom is a nice looking hound too.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

randy hicks

Post by randy hicks »

Greg you and Boyd Campbell picked Tim up 6th place Berea Kentucky. Ryder was brought to Ohio from Fred Farmer then Don Johnson bought Ryder the handler that really put time in Ryder was Terry Wilson, Terry sold Marvin Ryder, Marvin and Ryder made a good owner handler combo in private setting the handlers changed but the game stayed the same for the hound Ryder was a very nice hound. produced a few nice females. I have Ryder in my bloodline in my back yard. I miss Marvin and so many other Beaglers from my past. the future looks good even with lost of the Beaglers, in Mansfield ohio are run some very nice hounds today.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Randy, if he placed 6th at that trial, it was a heck of a showing. We started with 72 entries & it lasted two days.
Yeah, I miss Marvin too; he was a good man. I still keep the picture of him & Rider on the cover of Better Beagling .
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

Wells: To give you some early history on the MidWest Association, it was started by the three clubs you mentioned in late 1981 or early 1982. All three clubs had been around 3 to 5 years by then, but we did not have the Association. Great Miami was the first club formed, and it was actually a UBGF club at the beginning. Larry Carter, who was the first secretary and the main driving force behind that club, told me he started Great Miami partly because the UBGF guys at Lake City told him he couldn't do it, so it gave him extra incentive to prove them wrong! We used to go to those early UBGF trials at Lake City and watch a variety of styles, and watch our faster hounds beat the slower ones, but very soon the judges started to eliminate the quicker hounds and favor a more conservative type. If they hadn't moved in the direction, there probably would not be a MidWest today, and you might be running hounds in the UBGF!

The first meeting we had was in a restaurant in Middletown, Ohio, after a trial. Some of the guys you mentioned cannot be given credit for being involved early, because they were not. Here are the main influences at the beginning:

From Great Miami: Larry Carter, Bob Johnson, Carl Johnson, Jerry Eversole, Larkin Hensley, Charlie Allen, Milton Goings, Bob Gregg, Eugene Wells, and Raymond Walters.

From Jessamine County: John New, Arlis Jones, Bruce New, John Lear, Walter Hood, Fred Faust, and R.B. Sester.

From Scioto Valley: Larry Fout, Dan Mullens, Randy Bailey, Roger Ashley and myself.

I probably left out a few people, but those were the main forces behind each club. I knew them all well.

As for conformation, I would encourage the MidWest Association to entertain the idea of shows again. If the hounds are improving in conformation, why not give people something to show them off? Perhaps it could be a part of qualifying for the Runoff again.

By the way, Jerry Eversole spoke the truth about the rabbit hounds of the 60s and 70s. I had to start with grade beagles in the mid-1970s just to get something to hunt with. The brace hounds would bark 10 times before they took a step and were worthless by then. But a few breeders like Tom Dornin and Frank Reese, along with Larry Carter and John New, made it possible for me to find AKC gundogs, and I was on the way after that, as were many others.