guys with dog trailers step in

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

reddog1

Re: guys with dog trailers step in

Post by reddog1 »

Joey, look at the post I just moved to the top, you will see the trailer that I use. It's got a full sized dog box and 4 ft. Runs. It has doors to keep the dogs in while traveling and at night. It also has top storage for collars,leashes, water bowls or what ever. I use it as a kennel when I'm up on the Island for the month of October. I couldn't be happier with it.

Good luck in your search

Reddog

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I still kick myself for passing up a dog trailer at an auction for $125.00. Had four or six boxes, spare tire, nice rig. Someone said I couldn't get plates so I passed. BIL has a small, maybe 4 x 4 that could be fashioned into a dog trailer. He wants $300.00. There wouldn't be room for runs, but I don't really need them. Not much help, Joey, as we're in Michigan. Check Craigslistings. Maybe you could find a utility trailer frame.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

We strapped our boxes to my buddies twelve foot trailer for Maine this year, it worked great.

Easiest and least expensive fix is to be a little trailer and just strap your box on it. MUCH less expensive and you then can use it for other things hauling.

Dog trailer is pricey, unless you build, and limited to dogs...my thinking is versatility.

Or you could buy a Toyota truck that gets 22 miles per gallon. That is what I did when I traded off my f-150, smart move for saving on gas...lol.

Bellmorekennels

Post by Bellmorekennels »

Joey,
Go to Lowes they have 4x8 or 5x10 utility trailers for under a thousand.
Get it registrred and get plates for it.
Frame it out with lumber and out door plywood .
Get creative. I know you can.
Bet you can have a nice trailer for under 1500.
It doesn't have to win a beauty contest. Lol
Anthony

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

Joey,

I'd look for a used trailer 4x8.
Then find an older coon hound dog box 4x4.
(to fit your 10 dogs)
then get the Florida Georgia Line song.
"this is how we roll"
;)

mjd

Post by mjd »

A few more things your going to want to think of is the type at vehicle your getting b4 you make or buy a trailer . Trannys are not cheap if the trailers to heavy you will find out.also you want the trailer as level as possible when towing so hitch and receiver type, tire size ,suspension type etc are things to think of . With leaf springs you can raise/lower trailer simple enough and change rim tire size to raise and lower .usually the 4 lug hubs will take a 12,13,14 inch rim ,just have to move the fenders.I was at HF yesterday and the had several trailers for under $500 , I prob wouldn't haul anything across country with one but they would/could be made into a nice cheap dog hauler

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

http://memphis.craigslist.org/spo/4391021176.html
There is one on CL, no runs but doesn't look too bad.
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467

Mikka

Post by Mikka »

Mine is still a work in progress. Actually, had it on its first trial last week end. Still lots to do, but you will get an idea. Oh, because I did not wan the dogs being bounced around, I elected to use Rockwell axles, to obtained idependant suspension on the trailer, and I shoed it with 16" tires from my defunct Ford explorer. As for the box, I used a used box I had purchased. I had to move a couple doors around. I still need to build the front for a 12 volt battery and more storage. When done, it will also have a windshield made of checkered aluminum which will also cover the box. Bottom is made of that new composite decking boards and the floor is tilted down just enough to ensure the old saying "crap rolls down hill" remains true.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Mooseplus/slideshow/

j243whitetail

Post by j243whitetail »

If you want great trailer get a Seneca. PM me your number and I will send pics of mine. I wouldn't buy anything else.
"Real dogs work for a living"
All Bawls Kennels

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

Mikka, good work on that traier...looks good
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467

Mikka

Post by Mikka »

Works real good! thanks. Still have to build the shield in the front and a few other things like lights in the boxes and caged area (LED lighting is cheap) but being into trial season it is hard to work on trailer while on the road. Hopefully, it will look better next spring. stay tuned!

AprilD

Post by AprilD »

If you are going to buy an SUV you could just put some wire dog crates in the vehicle like I do. I have a small suzuki grand vitara. I put 2 crates behind the front seats. and 2 crates in the very back. if I need to I can also put a crate on the passenger seat. I fit 10 easy. If you get an explorer sized vehicle, you will have even more room. I could have also folded down all my seats and situated the cages differently but It is easier to leave them up and take out the crates when I need to drive with humans....which doesnt happen often but you never know. I used to fit 9 dogs in my Buick but couldnt take a passenger then. I got some funny looks pulling into a trial with the Buick loaded with dogs! I just laughed and said Hey , she gets 24 mpg!! ;)
April D
Grantville, PA

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

WHY NOT IF U DONT SPEND THE NIGHT JUST GET AFULL SIZE DOG BOX LIKE GLEEN MAKES IT WILL EASY HAUL 10 DOGS WITH ROOM TO SPARE I HAVE TOYOTA WITH ABOX THAT COVERS THE BED AND TOOL BOX ON FRONT EXTENDED CAB HAVE ALL ROOM I NEED CAN AT LEAST HAUL 15 DOGS . NOW IF GOING WAY OFF SPEND 2 OR 3 NIGHTS WOULD GO WITH TRAILER CAN ALSO GET ADOUBLE DECK BOX GOES ALL WAY TO TOP OF CAB . THAT WILL B MY NEXT BOX .
BIGDOGPACE

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

rabbitat, here's a home made model i remembered seeing
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

Seneca will make one your your specs. Here is mine. http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y50 ... 0057156054 call Chuck Prather 330-256-0530
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!