Success by using the "flavor of the month"??

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ohlinger

Re: Success by using the "flavor of the month"??

Post by ohlinger »

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. wrote:If a dog clips off some pretty big wins in akc or lp and was breed to produce. I guess that's considered a flavor. Only if opened up for public stud. Breeding one too me is a accomplishment almost as important as winning the big one. Anyone can buy and win it's a little harder for the breeder unless your buddies cheat for ya. IMHO.
Another thought. Why do people keep 15-20 dogs? Ya can't do em right dog food is sky high and who da hell wants to fool with the mess. I have always kept 3 too5 dogs and too me that's a good manageable number. I bred a bitch maybe every two three years. It's a lot harder for the little guy to exceed than the boys breeding every bitch they can find just to find the Great One. After all these years I have finally learned to enjoy these trials, just go every blue moon and watch who's judging. ;) .I would rather let you come too us and run then give you my money so you can tell me about my dogs I have bred and trained for years. :nod: .another thought if ya got too bred every bitch ya can to get this great one, then how great is your stud anyway? Just food for thought. So I think if trials stopped tomorrow ya would see about 3/4 of the breeders cease in a year. There would be nothing too gain and all too lose.field trials and titles determine flavors.
I like this post! I feel the same way i keep between 4-10 dogs. I try to raise one litter a year maybe more if i think i'm on to something good. I appreciate a good dog no matter how it's bred. I know what I like in a dog, and that is all that matters to me. If i got what i like and it can win trials great thats cofirmation enough for me.....I'll keep doing what I'm doing despite my trailing record, but don't get me wrong i like winning as much as the next guy however I run u.k.c not little pack or a.k.c. I keep a.k.c papers on everything I own though
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

One thing for sure, those that will pay a BIG stud fee will give the pup a better chance than those that breed for free in most cases. Consequently, the rep just gets bigger and bigger at trials. Nothing wrong with just enjoying the little hounds and not making a contest out of it or even worse, a business. Simply for our enjoyment is what they were originally bred for.

Forget judges, and trials, what most beaglers do is breed the best female they know of, that they have heard, seen hunt and run themselves in their specific hunting areas to the best male and hope for the best. This concept certainly has the best chance of producing what will do best in their hunting areas and conditions.

We sometimes forget (as most on the beagle sites are trialers) is that most folks with beagles do not trial but either run their dogs with friends, hunt, or just have 2 0r 3 of them running loose at the farm to enjoy hearing the race.

Simply and finally, breed only for what YOU like, for yourself, and forget what is the flavor of the month, last year, or 20 years ago.

brad stewart

Post by brad stewart »

if they dont hunt they dont stay

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

That's an old post.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.