Line Breeders

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Lone Pine Beagles

Line Breeders

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

For those of you that "Line Breed".

What is your favorite method in doing so, and what results have you noticed?

Methods such as....
1/2 bro x 1/2 sis
father x daughter
grand father x grand daughter
great uncle x niece
etc. etc.

gwyoung

Re: Line Breeders

Post by gwyoung »

Lone pine, you left out what has the greatest potential of all, Full siblings! It's really hard to have a favorite cross as one is dealing with individuals , a lot of folks like half sibling crosses, as do I when I see that it can be done, full sibling crosses would in my opinion be the best cross in a linebreed program, but you need to know your History plus exactly what you are looking at in the siblings.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

An old adage taught to me years ago----Pedigree,no matter how impressive,without performance,is void of content.The performance of the individual and his littermates must prove the pedigree.Breeding;the key to performance.If it isn't in there you aren't going to get it out,good or bad.
1-performance a top priority
2-never duplicate a fault
3-always compensate for each mate's weakness
4-always check for dominance of traits in past litters
I linebreed in my kennel and feel I've had good reults as far as performance and consistancy. I haven't done any in-breeding such as full or half brother x sister or father x daughter or mother x son crosses.
As far as linebreeding here's an idea that has enjoyed some sucess you might consider trying.
If your looking to keep males-----Let the sire of the sire be the grandsire of the dam on the dam's side G
C H

sire A
I
D J

K
E L

dam B

C
F
M

You would want to select for individuals who resemble the sire and grandsire in appearence and performance as close as possible to continue the dominance once established.
For females you could go this way----------Let the dam of the sire be the grand dam of the dam on her sire's side.
G
B
H

sire A

I
C
J

K
E
C
dam D
L
F
M

This combination will allow you to maintain and improve a dominant female's impact.
Good luck with your efforts.It's an interesting road to travel.If you get it right you will see more consistancy in the performance of your hounds then you might have seen before.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Well it took me awhile to type out the examples using the letters and then when I posted it rearranged them all in line so it doesn't look like much now.get you self a blank pedigree and you can draw it out to see what I'm talking about.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

line breeding is actually a form of in breeding, but with line breeding you breed close as you can without crossing a certain line. That of which is when you start breeding full brother to sister. father to daughter, mother to son is in breeding.
line breeding on other hand your taking traits of your stock and keeping it in close with your future pups. Example: Uncle to niece, Aunt to nephew, half brother to half sister.

I agree with shady groves post of making the sires, sire the grand sire on the bottom side. That is one way to keep yours traits in close with your pups. Keep in mind always trying to get more of a goodthing and take away from a bad thing.

That is one thing I always wonder about? If a man owns a set of hounds, and they are exactly what he wants performance wise out of them, male and female, of the same bloodline, and close enough for a good line breeding, why do so many guys take the female to the newest, hottest stud around, due to them being a strong hound their selves, winning in trials, etc, instead of taking what they have and keeping there traits flowing. To me they just outcrossed the traits that they love.

Example: Guys got his best female that he loves everything about, and in his kennel he has his best male he also loves everything about. Same bloodline too.
Instead of breeding to his own male he takes his female to Reggie which is a different blood than what he has. He just outcrossed on his first litter. Only thing I can figure why guys do that is because deep down they loved ther female to a certain point, but it apparently had a fault that both had??

A guy told me once keep what ya feed, and breed what ya feed. I believe that very much till there is a time to outcross to try bring something in or take something out.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

I am thinking about doing this one.
http://www.rabbitdogs.net/pedigrees/5792.html
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

anyone bred full siblings?

I would like to try it, I have access to the hounds to do it, may give it a shot. Both hounds suit me in a great deal of ways, complete hounds, not faulty.

Interested in opinions of those who have done it, not so much in speculation......or folks who haven't done it voicing there opinion.

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

look at shakerag ozzie his sir and dam are both HOF
they both have a full brother sister cross ,twice
they have 2 shots of it each, and its the same ones.

Dingus Macraes main man
X
Flo-line Run Dottie macrae
worked out good for Mr. Hill.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Thank you Steve!

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

To answer you BB They go to the flavor of the month to sell pups1
The dollar has gotten in the way of good sense whith too many people that breed hounds
They really arent breeders per say just out to make a buck My Opinion

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Lone Pine
here is a good read on it.
http://lanelinebeagles.zoomshare.com/fi ... pose_2.pdf
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

Lots of great info, keep it coming.

Shady Grove,
The method you use is also my favorite as well.
I call it the 2/3 cross.
The dog you are line breeding shows up in the 2nd and 3rd generation.

My male Banjo was bred by Adam Hayes.
Banjo's mother Crybaby is from a 1/2 sibling cross.
She was then bred to Kane out of her sister, Red Pepper.
Basically its a 1/2 sibs cross back to back.

John O is right. You see a lot of guys chasing the "flavor of the month" rather than focusing on improving their line.

JHayes

Post by JHayes »

Andy pepper (Kane's dam) is a full sister to crybaby mother.

shawnfrazier

Post by shawnfrazier »

Would granddaughter and grandson with diff grandmothers be line breed still I don't know how this stuff works that much

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

Now if my mother and father divorce,would they still be considered brother and sister. :shock: