Winter...

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tom summers

Re: Winter...

Post by tom summers »

Not sure if I have ever posted this or not but I want to make sure I state it again.
SNOW SUCKS!!!!!![/I never understood people wanting to go south in winter but, I get it now sorry for all the trash talk when I was young I was just young and stupid.

Tom

JJWI

Post by JJWI »

I can't remember when we had this much snow. Tried snowshoes yesterday and was fighting with 30 inches of snow the entire way to the swamp. The dogs got on a track but could only swim in this crap. Glad the track came out in front of me so I could catch the dogs easy. But I can't even run cottontails with out the dogs catching them. They can only run on the packed trails they have, and if they try to double back on another trail the dogs got them. Caught 2 last week like that and pulled them after that.

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Was having a great season up until this snow. 18 inches of this stuff is tough goung. Still getting dogs out 2 times a week, but rabbits only going to nearby hole. On a postive note, loss about 10 lbs so far hunting in this snow, great cardio workout

Newt

Post by Newt »

tom summers wrote:Not sure if I have ever posted this or not but I want to make sure I state it again.
SNOW SUCKS!!!!!![/I never understood people wanting to go south in winter but, I get it now sorry for all the trash talk when I was young I was just young and stupid.

Tom
How far South?
I have a Brother-in law and Sister-in-law who live in Northern Indiana. They are retired and decided to miss the cold so they rented a place in South Carolina to spend February. The same ice storm the other day, that hit Atlanta, got them as well.
Maybe next winter in Aruba would be nice.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Folks, the snow and bitter cold is about to make me hate it altogether BUT my last electric bill with total electric DID MAKE ME REAL SICK.

lananbay

Post by lananbay »

Louisiana boys!!
This had been the best year in a long time. The temp have been cold enough to hunt all day. Usually by 1pm after stripping down to a tee shirt its so hot you have to load up and go home.
Anybody is welcome to make a hunting trip with me.

Destry
Destry Lopez
LANAN BAY KENNELS

Hunting hounds by RANGER DAN & BLUE NINJA

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

rabbitatfarm wrote:We have 24-36" on the ground, depending on cover type. Rabbits jumped from big brush piles go right back in after just a few feet. Tough going, even with snow shoes. I'm ready for spring and have been for weeks. Worst winter we've had in several years,

Lol this is what my exact post would say. I keep falling through even with snowshoes due to it being so powdery. There is a trial I had hoped to go to in two weeks but I still cant get a rabbit to run to save my life. 30-40 yrd circles and right back under the brush piles they go to a hole. :roll: :roll:
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

briarhopper

Post by briarhopper »

We are lucky enough to only have afew inches of snow but is a couple inches of ice underneath. Has been making for some good long runs. Spots were rabbits usually hole up they cant use them holes and just run. We got seven today between my buddy and i.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

They claim warm weathers coming this week but the place I was going to run hare today was -15 last night. I hope it don't cool down....
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

20+ " of snow has slowed me down but not stopped me trying to ready dogs for the trials. For 3 weeks all of our rabbits would run straight to holes--- I got lucky this week and a hit an old spot-- a frozen swamp and found rabbits that wanted to run! Dogs had to swim in the snow to run! I have three 6 month old pups that need to b started..
Can't wait for spring!!

-------
Kristina Cusimano
Cooz's Beagles
Arha PP RCH Lone Pine Cooz's Swampin Sammi

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

been a great winter for predator hunting.... We have been knocking down the yotes left and right in Michigan. My two beagles look at me like when's it our turn. I'm hoping for a warmer March when the bucks are breeding and running huge circles. Love March running. I have a pup that's needing some big time work. He's had a few hare runs in the north woods with 20+ inches of snow...
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

Just shoveled a path back to my running pen, I would say we got 30 to 36 inches of snow here. We just got 10 inches of it last night. I am so sick of snow. Bad winters for pups that's for sure.

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

ive always said ,,i love snow when you can measure it in inches and hate it when it comes by the foot --- ill take any amount of deep snow over crust -- i hate rain --- but i am glad to see some in forcast today - last weekend scent seemed to be awesome but dogs just phsycally not able to go where hare went-- any uphill and dog just cant make it several times i saw dogs standing on hind legs /jumping /lungeing/barking ///almost no forward progress - lol
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Down at Ft. Knox for work.....seen sod for first time since I don't know when.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Snowshoe Run

Post by Snowshoe Run »

Hunted the last two days in 18" of fresh powder with temps from -10 F to 15 F with snow blowing and drifting. Got 4 hare missed a few more and let several go. Dogs performed well enough to get the job done. LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. Am I the only one?