FC !!!! snow dogs.or not!!!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

NorWester1

Re: FC !!!! snow dogs.or not!!!!

Post by NorWester1 »

Don't know anything about field champions running on snow, never seen one.
BUT.....Deerhost, have you tried running in northern Minnesota or the northwest side of Superior? Might be a trip north that could change your opinion.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Norwester, no I never have. I'm not saying its easy running up there. I'm just saying it can be pretty crappy down here running on crust. I would rather run on fresh snow any day. The temps here in NY do get to single digits and sub zero at times and we get 6 to 12 inches of snow routinely and sometimes we can get 2-3 feet. So once you are running in 5 degree weather and a foot or two of snow it sucks either way even if you get another foot of snow and 20 degree lower in temps in your neck of the woods.

NorWester1

Post by NorWester1 »

I agree with you.... I think crust can be tough to run on anywhere. Interested to read what you would think if your dogs couldn't run on fresh snow?

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I watched IFC Dirty Pond Blacky run on snow and he was an absolute snow hound. I also watched Mike Mcpherson Field champians run in deep crappy snow in up state NY. The ones I saw were IFC Hunt-em-Up Sports Anna( out of Speedy Sport) and FTC Hunt-em-Up Hopes Blazer and they could do it on snow. But like I said Mike hunted all winter up in watertown NY were the winters are tough and so he breed for that nose. While I hunted up there I also hunted with a friend of Mikes who ran big 18 and 20 inch beagle coon dog mix of dogs that did well in the deep tug hill snow. The mixed breed dogs allthough rough and I doubt they could run a cottontail down state did well up there in those conditions on hare. Norwester my dogs can run on snow but there are times when conditions are what I think are good with fresh snow and for some reason or an other they just don't run they way they should. I guesss only the dogs know why..LOL. If you have been in beagling for a while then you would understand that on some days you wouldn't sell your dogs for $10,00 dollars and then a few days later you want to shoot them all. I never had a dog that could absolutley run every day.....Good hunting to you and Happy Holidays.........DH

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Marty from Wi got some snow hounds he's got it together ! ;)
TheJohnBirchSociety

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

I live in minnesota n run dogs most of the year. Stay close to shooter n u should have enough nose. I still remenber my brother brought a small shooter bitch 11n 3/4 inches n dominated everything i have n the fall. I told him that if she could do the same thing again n the winter, I will get rid of everything I have. She did the same thing n glad I got rid of all my non akc dogs. Everything n my kennel have shooter n their pedigree. Infact, the best snow hound I seen was bred by huntemup kennel n new york. There has not been a day this dog couldnt circle a hare. I run him n minus 10 with two feet of snow n he managed to circle the hare. To Deerhost, if u have huntemup dogs, your dog should do fine n noethern mn. One thing i noticed all good snow hound could do n the summer that others couldnt is tounging baby rabbit fist size crossing the road. Any dog that toungs on fist size rabbit crossing the road n the summer should be able to run a cat size hare n the winter. I have seen enogh to say this. If a cold nose dog couldn't run a baby rabbit n the corn field, railroad tracks, street, road, n etc, than that dogs nose is not consider cold.

Sao
Minnesota Beagler

NorWester1

Post by NorWester1 »

Sao, I believe Bud invited you & or your brother to come north and run and you wouldn't do it until conditions improved??? What gives?

JJWI

Post by JJWI »

littlewoody wrote:Marty from Wi got some snow hounds he's got it together ! ;)
Marty has some of the best all around dogs I have seen in a long time! He is always looking for improvement and isn't unrealistic about his goals. I got 2 pups from him so far and they are some of the most natural dogs I have had the pleasure to have in a while.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

JJWI wrote:
littlewoody wrote:Marty from Wi got some snow hounds he's got it together ! ;)
Marty has some of the best all around dogs I have seen in a long time! He is always looking for improvement and isn't unrealistic about his goals. I got 2 pups from him so far and they are some of the most natural dogs I have had the pleasure to have in a while.
I never met Marty but his videos are great !
TheJohnBirchSociety

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

To norwestern, tell bud I was too busy trying to finish max at that time n couldn't come. Now, I don't think it would be fair for max cause he has not run since I finished him. If I were to come n run with u n bud now, both of u n buds dogs would dominated all of my dogs. All the dogs I'm running now r young n still need a lot of work. They be lucky to place. If u n bud have 13" males n females, come run with me at gogebic this winter. I will take care your dogs entries since its ur first field trial. Lunch will be on me also. Come n lets have a fun run there. I have a blast every time I go there. This year is going to be the same. I also saw a lot of good dogs there every time. Those guys n mi have some very good snow hounds! Gogebic is one of the best place n event to get to see good snow hounds.

Sao
Minnesota Beagler

NorWester1

Post by NorWester1 »

Now the story is you were too busy? Doesn't it seem a little odd that you advise Deerhost he would have no problem running in northern Minnesota (which may or may not be the case).......yet you yourself won't come up and run?
I won't need to tell Bud anything....he can read just fine.

Sao, your dogs don't have to dominate mine or Bud's dogs.....they just have to run the hare. The hare and the conditions are the competition.
Personally, I'm interested in seeing your dogs run by themselves.
Just run the hare. Simple.
This way there is no interference and no "crutches". The accountability lay solely with you and your own hounds or hound. Truthfully, I sincerely hope your dogs do as you say cause then I know who as a good snow hound I could breed to for running in conditions similar to what I run in, not to mention you're not too far away.

As to your suggestion I'm sure attending a trial would be fun and I do plan on making it down for one to see first hand sometime or another.
However, I'm under no false illusions that my dogs would do well, I do not breed or run with competition in mind so it would be terribly arrogant and perhaps ignorant to think they would be worth 10 cents as trial dogs.
Secondly, I don't register my dogs and I'm guessing that would be a major stumbling block also.

You seem like a nice enough fellow although probably a little over confident and like to write on the internet about it. C'mon north....would love to see your dogs run in what are probably some pretty tough conditions.

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

Max is off public stud cause due to my work schedule n location. There r better snow hound n stud dog out there. If u have not been to one of mi snow trial, gogebic is my favorite cause its closest. If I have time, I love to stay both days there. The people n food there r awesome. Above all that, watching good snow hounds run hare.

Norwestern, joek n mike mcpherson n every guys n northern mi.have better dogs than me. I like to come in here n share my opinion. if i offended u, im sorry. If u don't think my dogs are good, you are absolutely correct. I don't get offended about others opinion. if u still want give a try to see if n mi dogs r snow hound, just come n i guaranteed u will have a lot of fun. N mi is where i got my dogs from n it is where i will reffer good title snow hounds will be there.
Minnesota Beagler

NorWester1

Post by NorWester1 »

No offense taken at all Sao, I don't sweat this internet chit chat much. Like I wrote, you seem like a nice enough guy, and you come off as very boastful on here, that's all.
I've never seen your dogs run....so how could I have an opinion one way or the other?

In all seriousness, I really would like to see your best run in some of the tougher northern conditions and I would hope they do an amazing job....that would mean there is a chance for those of us looking to consistently produce a tough winter running snowhound!

jim matuszewski

Post by jim matuszewski »

marty has a great pack of dogs :D and a very knowlegable hounds man,i always have fun running with him

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Bandit and Shooter were both the real deal on the snow, they were both a sight to behold. I never saw Shooter under the gun, but I have no doubt he would have excelled. Bandit was a FC, but he was even better under the gun than a trial hound. He was really something to see, just had more edge to him when he knew he was out there for the real deal. Bandit was the best male beagle I've ever seen under the gun. FC Bur-Ann Bonnie owned by the late Sam Genord, was probably the best beagle I've ever seen run a hare. And again, she was just like Bandit, a much better hound under the gun than a trial hound. Both the dogs mentioned, Bandit and Bonnie would remember where they had crossed another hare's tracks and would have another hare running for it's life just as soon as you shot the one they were on. I've had some excellent snow hounds, but I don't think I ever had one that could hold a candle to old Bonnie or Bandit on the snow.

Along these lines you could have been broader with your statement: "Gun Dog or Not?" There are some poor hounds that have won on the snow, and there are probably alot more that have won and finished on the sod that wouldn't be worth a nichel under the gun on sod or snow. Best thing is to see for yourself. Go after bloodlines your interested in and watch them run in the flesh.