Good Day ..........

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LR Patch

Good Day ..........

Post by LR Patch »

Went yesterday , put down 5 dogs hunted for almost 5 hrs . Temp was around 30*F at 7:30 warmed up to about 40*F by 12:30 great day all in all . Only jumped 1 rabbit just before leaving they ran it for about 40 minutes saw it 3 times after the jump . Area was river bottom land about 600 ac. of cut corn and several plots of woodland with a leeve system to back-up water for waterfoul that was covered with cattails and thick as hell. Only had 3 0r 4 inches of water at the time , the 1 rabbit ran in the water & tails most of the time dogs handled the water no issue's , which put a big smile on my face . Although they only had one jump the hunt they show was very impressive even if I do say so myself , my ole 8 yr old bitch never slowed down & ever inch of thick stuff they were all bust'n it up . Those cattail blades must be like razors cause all their faces & sides & tails were sliced up and blood was ever where . To beat it all when I pulled up to take the rabbit I pulled the trigger & click lol I had forgot to load my gun. Oh well I was proud the my ole patch hounds .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

PREACHERS KENNEL

Re: Good Day ..........

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

man i have done that before i still get ragged for not loading my gun .. my day was ok only jumped 4 which is bad for me normally jump 8 or 9 . but only had 1 good runner they wanted to go to holes today one only went 50 ft ..i walked about 3 miles feels like anyhow lol. 1 race was very good didnt last long enough maybe 35 40 minutes..but was a barn burner ..didnt get a shot at all which dont really bother me .
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Hmm good story randy. Sitting at work interviewing techs
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Deer season is over today. I'm gettin' out tomorrow for sure. Dogs and I are both going nuts. Rebuilt part of my kennel today, so now it is all chain link. Part was wood with welded wire' Lasted pretty good, but this will make it easier to clean.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

Been there n done that.
Come Run

warmule

Post by warmule »

i went out this moring with my son having a a good time hes 18 a senior this year between basketball and homework girls and his truck rabbit hunting with me is kind of last when all at once a strange dog appears out of nowhere good looking beagle grayfaced you could tell she was in good shape for her age no shock collar on but she had a collar with a nametag but she wouldnt let us get a hold of her to see it i told my son we would let tag along with maybe somebody would come along looking for her we didnt go 50 feet when her and my little junie bluetick got one up my old dog and a 2 yr dog went flying to them only to come flying back to tell on them i jerked out the ole transmeter faster than jesse james ripped it up to 6 and let her have it she quit then fell right back in race by that time she must have got out of range they went plum out of hearing spent rest of day trying to find them we found her about bout 3 this evening so it was good day bad day :) :angry:
John 3:16

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

warmule garmin gives me that assurance i wont have that problem ...i use a trash breaker also to give me further distance on the shock if needed i sometimes hunt the wountains and u cant be slow on trigger there either i have a few young dogs i keep a sharp eye on them . so far so good . butr garmin will give u peace of mind in those times in worst case u can at least know where ur dog is.
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

:cool:
TheJohnBirchSociety

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I got the dogs out today. I've sort of taken a young couple under my wing as far as dogs/running goes. She works at my vet's office. We ran maybe a half dozen rabbits in about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Their pup started packing and opened on his first real race. We had some nice circling runs and each of us guys got one rabbit. I don't usually shoot rabbits here, but felt my younger dogs--they are 19 months-- could use the experience. I've only killed three rabbits over them, but I usually just run/trial. If you don't think habitat work pays off, these rabbits all came from around 20 acres. Brush piles, weedy fields, food plots, brushy travel lanes all contributed to a good population. And that 20 acres isn't even the best cover. Nice warm temps didn't hurt anything either. Good running to you all.

P.S. Teased my pup--12 weeks--with the rabbit when I got back in.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Rabbit season 2013 so far has been up and down.Spent a week in early October up in northern Maine.It was unseasonably warm and we had super running on four days and stuggled to get jumps and good running the other three.
Then went over to northern Vermont to hunt with an old friend out of his camp near the Canadian border.A couple of days it was warm and dry and another day extremely windy.
Hard to jump a hare and when they did we couldn't hear them and had to monitor the race on a Garmin.Our two best days of running were in the pouring rain and after several hours of slogging aroung in the wet fir balsams and cedar swamps the fun factor starts to decline kind of rapidly.
Her in Tn.the places that I pounded them all summer and early September all of a sudden the dogs could barely find a rabbit and when they did get one up I wasn't too impressed with their performance as they seemed to be struggling. I was getting a little discouraged.
Went out the day before Thanksgiving and again yesterday morning and had some of the best running of the past month in the same spots??????????? I was carrying the over and under but decided I'd rather listen to the good races as to kill em.My wife won't cook em or eat em and I end up giving most of the rabbits i shoot to an old couple down the road anyways.So mostly I don't shoot unless it's one of those exceptional runs or there's a young dog that's just getting going.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Will05

Post by Will05 »

I never load my gun either Randy. Most times I don't even carry it just seems like more weight to carry looking into buying one of those 410 pistols so maybe then ill take it all the time. My pups jumped 5 on Friday but unfortunately they only felt like running one and that wasn't even their best work. Guess the time I have spent the last 2 weeks deer hunting and working showed its ugly face :(
Wsullivan777@gmail.com
Home of :
Sullivan's Sadie MaePatch
Sullivan's MollyPatch