Using hitch carrier with dog box ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sgc

Using hitch carrier with dog box ?

Post by sgc »

I've been thinking about transporting dogs in a dog box on a rear hitch carrier. I've never done this and have always had reservations about doing this, due to obvious reasons. However, I'm wondering if anyone does this. Due to my current vehicle situation, I'm re-thinking doing this. Of course, the big problem would be if I was rear ended. What are your all's thoughts. thanks,

S.R.Patch

Re: Using hitch carrier with dog box ?

Post by S.R.Patch »

I was always worried about exhaust fumes,... and as you said rear collision.
If not for that, I'd have one.

Nurse Laura

Post by Nurse Laura »

We have a hitch system that Chris has built (considerably sturdier than those you buy) and it works well. I too am always worried about being rear-ended when the dogs are on the hitch but I have the same worries when I pull our dog trailer. I don't worry to much about exhaust fumes if we are moving and if I am stopped I just make sure the vehicle is shut off immediately. Have been using it since 2007 and had not a single problem. JMO

Bigboy kennel

Post by Bigboy kennel »

I transported my dogs from ohio to texas that way. Being rear ended was my biggest worry
Phil Walls Jr

ray s

Post by ray s »

Here is a photo of my set up. I made my carrier frame elivated so the box sets on the bumper and about 2" from the SUV.
I've used it for more than 3 years now, without any problems. And I travel quit a bit to the trials.