When Wolves Attack (Warning--Picture is Graphic)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tom summers

Re: When Wolves Attack (Warning--Picture is Graphic)

Post by tom summers »

They rejected the signitures because the Gov. said the NRC Natural resources commission has the authority to set seasons and bag limits of our game animals as long as the decisions are backed up with scientific data. This was done after the wolves were delisted from endangered species list. We do get a good turn onow and then. I believe our Gov. has the interest of sportsman in interest that or he realizes the economic impact we have on the economy? Which ever the case it is working for us (for now).
Tom Summers

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

Reddog,
Remember the year me, you and Howard were on the knob listining to the hounds run? Gus came by us lookin back over his shoulder hair raised on his back and wouldn`t listen to me. I think that may have been a wolf that spooked them.
I understand there has been a breeding pair seen north of town???
I think I would shoot one with a shotgun, if they wanted to make a case against any one, they could take a round do a ballistics test, then check anyones gun they wanted to. Far fetched but!!!

birmi1nr

Post by birmi1nr »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 12, 2013
Contact: Tony Hansen, Michigan United Conservation Clubs, (269) 420-9510 thansen@mucc.org
Michigan Humane Society Abandons Wolf Management Plan, Sides with Radical Out-of-State Animal Rights Group

Wolf Management Plan allows for public hunting to reduce conflicts, but MHS endorses referendum to prevent implementation.

LANSING—The Michigan Humane Society has reversed course in its support for the Michigan Wolf Management Plan by siding with a radical out-of-state group that happens to be a funder and backing the referendum to repeal a law that allows for implementation of the plan. The plan included public hunting in certain circumstances to reduce livestock and pet depredation by wolves, which have plagued the limited areas of the Upper Peninsula where hunting will be allowed this year.

“Michigan Humane Society signed on to the Wolf Management Plan, which included public hunting, but now that the circumstances have occurred which would allow hunting under the plan, they are backing off their word and siding with the radical out-of-state animal rights group that has given them funding,” said Mike Thorman of the Michigan Hunting Dog Federation, who was also on the Michigan Wolf Management Roundtable that developed recommendations for the plan.

The Humane Society of the United States, the Washington, D.C.-based animal rights group that funds and staffs the Keep Michigan Wolves Protected front group behind the referendum to repeal Public Act 21 of 2013, gave Michigan Humane Society $7,500 in 2011, part of the less than 1% of its revenues that HSUS gives to animal shelters. HSUS is also running an anti-hunting ballot initiative in Maine this year and was behind the 2006 anti-hunting referendum on mourning doves.

Professional wildlife biologists from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources recommended a limited wolf hunt in three areas of the Upper Peninsula that have experienced chronic depredation problems from wolves attacking livestock and pets. The Natural Resources Commission, which is required to use sound science in its wildlife decisions, named wolves as a game species under the authority granted it by Public Act 21 and approved a hunt of 43 wolves in the three Upper Peninsula units which have had the most problems with wolves.

The Michigan Wolf Management Plan, which was endorsed by Michigan Humane Society, allows for public hunting where the wolf density in a localized area is related to livestock or pet depredations. DNR biologists expect that a limited public hunt will reduce the density of wolves in those areas and make the remaining wolves more wary of humans so that they stay out of towns like Ironwood and away from farms and backyards, reducing pet and livestock depredations.

The biologists do not expect it to have an impact on the overall wolf population of the Upper Peninsula, which was estimated at 658 during its minimum winter count. The wolf population can more than double throughout the year. Wolves in Michigan recovery goal of 200 for five straight years back in 2004, even though HSUS lawsuits kept it on the Endangered Species List until 2012.

“Michigan’s wolf population is thriving and it needs to be managed by professional biologists to prevent conflicts with humans, like pets and livestock being killed,” said Erin McDonough, executive director of Michigan United Conservation Clubs. “It’s disappointing that Michigan Humane Society would flip-flop on the Wolf Management Plan to side with one of its radical funders when wolves are killing family pets in Upper Peninsula back yards.”

Founded in 1937, Michigan United Conservation Clubs (MUCC) is the largest state-specific conservation organization in the country. Its mission is to unite citizens to conserve, protect and enhance Michigan’s natural resources and outdoor heritage.
CEREAL CITY KENNELS
FCGD CEREAL CITY WANGO TANGO
FCGD CEREAL CITY OOH LALA

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Chuck, I do remember that. It very well could have been a wolf that caused the dogs to abandon what was a good 2 hour run. It makes sense that they would suddenly stop running after pounding hard for that long. It was either a wolf or one of those big cats roam the island.

JCM

Post by JCM »

I just wish I lived closer so I could do my part to make it safer for all hounds. I just hope those that draw tags get the chance to do their part to clean up the UP.

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

JCM wrote:I just wish I lived closer so I could do my part to make it safer for all hounds. I just hope those that draw tags get the chance to do their part to clean up the UP.
I second that even if it meant going to jail if the killer wolves hurt my dogs I do my best to kill every last one of these calf killing sheep killing dog killing canines.Who knows might be child killing canine next? It is a sad day in America when fools run the government!!!

bill (flint river )

Post by bill (flint river ) »

I grew up by Mike Throman, went to school with his girls and put hay up for him in the summer. Mike is a bear guy and he is one of our mouth pieces, trying to protect us. if I wanted to run in the UP. he is the one I would talk to, there is packs of wolfs that havnt messed with hounds and that is were they run there bear hounds. he said the wolf pack just north of the bridge is pure hound killers.

jimd

Post by jimd »

sorry for your loss jim .The wolfs are bad and getting worse up there IMO

Marcus Lehotay

Post by Marcus Lehotay »

Sorry for your loss Jim. Some of my hunting party had a run in with wolves near Naubinway last year. That running is amazing up there but it sure comes with a risk.

BIG AL

Post by BIG AL »

Unbelievable. Sorry for all you guys losing dogs.

JCM

Post by JCM »

Marcus Lehotay wrote:Sorry for your loss Jim. Some of my hunting party had a run in with wolves near Naubinway last year. That running is amazing up there but it sure comes with a risk.
Since this has happened one thing has been extremely clear to me--dogs have been killed all over the UP. I had no idea how many people have had dogs killed and how many different areas wolves have killed hounds, both big and small. The guy I talked to at the DNR tried real hard to convince me it wasn't wolves. He thought it might have been coyotes, a bear, or a cat. When I told him I saw one of the wolves, he still acted like he didn't believe me. Then I sent him the picture of the dogs and all arguments were over.

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

Treat em like hawks...
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

jimd

Post by jimd »

jim did the dnr come out when you called?.

JCM

Post by JCM »

jimd wrote:jim did the dnr come out when you called?.
The DNR came out the next day but it rained hard all night and they didn't find anything. I was long gone so the only evidence they had was pictures I sent them. It made me wonder if in their mind they investigated and there wasn't evidence of a wolf kill. :twisted:

sgc

Post by sgc »

The dnr knows there's a very confrontational pack of wolves in the Trout lake area. They supposedly fight another pack west of there. It's amazing they would try to convince you it wasn't wolves.