Decline in ARHA

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

F.KERNS

Re: Decline in ARHA

Post by F.KERNS »

I agree Jim that runoff was something to look forward to and exciting !!!!

EMeade III

Post by EMeade III »

Those were the fun years, I remember plenty of 40-50 dogs entered in the opens at club hunts and remember winning a club hunt at Ashland with 81 opens. Sure don't see anything like that anymore. Most club hunts around here have been 15-25 opens. I think the run off would living things up a little.

Full Throttle

Post by Full Throttle »

Does ARHA have hunts like Pro-Male and female shootouts puppy derbies etc. like PKC. I just started running trials a little over a year and a half ago And I don't know everything about all the other registries But those special hunts are what really got me interested in the PKC trials. I went to one ARHA little pack trial and I had a great time. I think I'm going to run little pack this year more than PKC. Due to work I am unable to go to very many trials so it will Be mostly ARHA. I guess what I am asking is does ARHA have puppy derbies etc.

dawg182

Post by dawg182 »

i dont think all formats are seeing a decline in numbers, just some. the hunters who made the formats run and thrive for years feel dumped on and not appreciated and they move to other ones. besides i hear pkc and akc are doing fine or growing.

JCM

Post by JCM »

COB4190 wrote:None
Maybe you should get out a few old Rabbit Hunter magazines and compare with the February 2013 issue. Anyone that can't see that declining entries is a serious problem needs to take a good look at the facts. Although the 1998 and 2000 results were before the Top 10 runoff, the Hound of the Year race was a big deal during those times.

If this isn't enough proof, 13 clubs in Ohio had hunts scheduled in the February 1998 magazine. In 2013 only 7 clubs in Ohio have hunts scheduled.

Comparing just the open class entries from results in the February magazines:

Opens 11..........Opens 20..........Opens 51
Opens 13..........Opens 23..........Opens 47
Opens 16..........Opens 13..........Opens 46
Opens 29..........Opens 47..........Opens 34
Opens 12..........Opens 70..........Opens 10
Opens 10..........Opens 12..........Opens 60
Opens 10..........Opens 19..........Opens 70
Opens 16..........Opens 18..........Opens 50
Opens 10..........Opens 42..........Opens 24
Opens 10..........Opens 25..........Opens 14
Opens 14..........Opens 14..........Opens 14
Opens 13..........Opens 50..........Opens 34
Opens 23..........Opens 40..........Opens 36
Opens 10..........Opens 30..........Opens 34
Opens 10..........Opens 13..........Opens 20
Opens 12..........Opens 28..........Opens 25
Opens 10..........Opens 30..........Opens 10
Opens 11..........Opens 47..........Opens 56

Total 197.........Total 541.........Total 601

Maybe I shouldn't be so concerned about this, but I really hate to see something that was once so strong in beagling fall so far. I can't help but wonder if ARHA will even be around in a year or two.

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

JCM wrote:
COB4190 wrote:None
Maybe you should get out a few old Rabbit Hunter magazines and compare with the February 2013 issue. Anyone that can't see that declining entries is a serious problem needs to take a good look at the facts. Although the 1998 and 2000 results were before the Top 10 runoff, the Hound of the Year race was a big deal during those times.

If this isn't enough proof, 13 clubs in Ohio had hunts scheduled in the February 1998 magazine. In 2013 only 7 clubs in Ohio have hunts scheduled.

Comparing just the open class entries from results in the February magazines:

Opens 11..........Opens 20..........Opens 51
Opens 13..........Opens 23..........Opens 47
Opens 16..........Opens 13..........Opens 46
Opens 29..........Opens 47..........Opens 34
Opens 12..........Opens 70..........Opens 10
Opens 10..........Opens 12..........Opens 60
Opens 10..........Opens 19..........Opens 70
Opens 16..........Opens 18..........Opens 50
Opens 10..........Opens 42..........Opens 24
Opens 10..........Opens 25..........Opens 14
Opens 14..........Opens 14..........Opens 14
Opens 13..........Opens 50..........Opens 34
Opens 23..........Opens 40..........Opens 36
Opens 10..........Opens 30..........Opens 34
Opens 10..........Opens 13..........Opens 20
Opens 12..........Opens 28..........Opens 25
Opens 10..........Opens 30..........Opens 10
Opens 11..........Opens 47..........Opens 56

Total 197.........Total 541.........Total 601

Maybe I shouldn't be so concerned about this, but I really hate to see something that was once so strong in beagling fall so far. I can't help but wonder if ARHA will even be around in a year or two.
It's just not what it used to be Jim. I love little pack and a lot of the people In it, but I'm really unsure as to where it is heading. Look at the little world. It used to draw 400+ now it's only 60% of that. I know a lot of it has to do with the economy but there are a lot of good people who have left and with them a lot of entries as well.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

EMeade III

Post by EMeade III »

It's really sad honestly.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Sad thing is numbers of old time rabbit hunters that kept dogs and loved to hear them run are dying off. Less every year.
How many I know that their wives call wanting to sell his dogs or will keep them in the pen until they die.

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

JCM wrote:I have heard a lot of people say that since they took away the Top 10 Runoff, it just isn't the same. I know it sure was exciting to watch this the day before the World Hunt. I wonder how many entries were lost due to this?
yep aint nothing like it used to be
it all changed after the hoy changed
wish it would go back like it was

kybeagler

Post by kybeagler »

HOY change absolutely hurt the numbers

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

I can't say because I haven't trialed in Little Pack in years, but I'm going to guess it's probably a combination of those things - economy, no incentive races (I used to stay glued to the "old" ARHA site to check the standings) and the lack of upcoming young judges. Even back when I trialed Little Pack the knees on folks my age were wearing out. Chip Eisenhut spent all of the World Hunt judging packs. And he's an OLD fart (*snort*)

Unfortunately the design of Little Pack dictates that you have a lot of judges to pull off one trial - even a small one. You need a non-hunting judge per every 5 dogs. When you have a World Hunt like the ones I remember, they were taking out 35 casts at one time. And then doing it all over again ... and again ....and again. For 2 - 3 days. I remember thinking back then 'this can't last forever' as I observed very few younger judges taking the dogs out - certainly not enough to replace the ones who were busting their azzes at the time - who are now in their 50's and 60's. And because they don't score line crosses or call dogs, they score only jump-strike-check points, the judge has to be there to see it. Which means he needs to be able to run like a deer.

I don't know if tweaking a few things in the format would help revive it or not. Lasts year's AKC SPO Nationals had their record crowd. For them, it's a good trade-off to have two judges see all of the dogs in each class. Yes, it subjective judging, but the goal is to find the best dog of the day, and people can enjoy the whole trial without fear of being asked to judge.

Maybe there's some middle ground that could bring LP back.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. wrote:The guys like you Jim have gotton some age, playstations have hurt us alot. The interest just aint there for alot of kids. It basically means getting off off the couch. The youngster that are there are dedicated. You know as well as any this hobby requires endless hours of dedication.
When I trialed coon hounds, I spent countless nights roaming the woods to spend even more at a trial on the weekend. I got to the age that all this turned into work in lieu of fun although I still love to hear them get struck and treed. After I retired I THOUGHT I'd have plenty of time to spend afield BUT came to realize that the desire to spend ALL those countless hours chasing any hound for a trophy meant less to me than when I was younger. I have long passed the time when killing my limit of any game animal means anything to me and I have lived through much change from game and property to hunt it on to loss of hunting buddies both relatives and friends that all the good ole times are but a figment of my memory. Yes, there was a time when a tailgate full of rabbits, coon and squirrels lit a fire in my heart, especially when they were after the beckoning cry of the hounds with my dad, grand dad, brother, uncles, cousins or good friends BUT today that fire is but smoldering even though my heart still longs for the cries of the hounds! Sometimes my best chases are those when I'm on the couch with visions of those sugarplums dashing through my head. :!:

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Good post, warddog.

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

This sport is not the only one that numbers are dwindeling. I shoot registered trap under the ATA. Their numbers have fallen over the last few years as well, there was only 60% of the entires there was 5 years ago. The cost of goods has got everybody scared. To shoot registered trap it cost you about $1 per bird you shoot at, including gas to get to the shoot, gun, ammo, entry fees. We shoot 2-300 birds per day, and sometimes as many as 500 per day. Im 31 years old and I am a minority at these shoots. The average age of a shooter is probably close to 65 years old. There are lots of kids just not many that are motivated to do anything besides sit at home. Look at high school sports and the decline in numbers of kids participating. There used to be 70 guys played high school football at my high school in 2000, now only 40 this year. Still the same number of kids in the school, no body wants to work. Look at society in general, nobody wants to, or has to, work anymore. People seem to just want to sit around and complain that they are not getting something for free. Now if only my wages would keep up with all of my habits!!!!!!

Farmerwells

Post by Farmerwells »

:( I trial mostly UKC and the numbers are down there also so bad we have not been able to run all three categories at some hunts
Country Boy Kennels
Don and Ethan Wells
317-223-1618