Food agression

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

yoteslayer

Food agression

Post by yoteslayer »

Is there a way to fix a dogs food aggression? I have a 5 month old pup that has it as well as a one year old male.

mobeagle

Re: Food agression

Post by mobeagle »

yoteslayer wrote:Is there a way to fix a dogs food aggression? I have a 5 month old pup that has it as well as a one year old male.

Assigned food bowls. I've had to do it before. Shock collars on lowest setting. Bump them when they go to eat out of wrong bowl stay till they're done eating for a few days. Next thing you know it's over and done with they go to their bowl and thats it.
Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.

intrepid

Post by intrepid »

keep them apart when you feed them.

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

Thanks Dan, I tried calling you tonight by the way!!!

I am seperating them for the time being but its kind of a pain in the butt. I will try the shock collar thing.

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

Alot of old timers said a dog that wouldn't fight for it's food wasn't worth owning and culled them. Only time they excused fighting. Seperate at feeding time. Most people advise that you do not shock fighting dogs as they think the pain is coming from other dog and fight harder.

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

dont let it get any worse or it will always be a blood bath. The shocker may work but like said above, never shock when fighting.

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

I agree with not shocking them while fighting, you bump them for going to wrong bowl not fighting. Dogs will absolutely fight harder if they're already fighting when they're shocked.
Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

Well, all good points!! Thanks!

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

when I had two males kenneled together I used two short lengths of chain and tied them up while they were eating so they couldnt get to one another. If they are like mine they got done eating in about 5 minutes and gave me a good chance to look them over for skin abraisions, ticks, etc. and you have a PM
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

Did not get a PM rabbit chaser!!

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

rabbit chaser wrote:when I had two males kenneled together I used two short lengths of chain and tied them up while they were eating so they couldnt get to one another. If they are like mine they got done eating in about 5 minutes and gave me a good chance to look them over for skin abraisions, ticks, etc. and you have a PM
I do this with all of mine.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

An old Beagler friend used to feed his hounds like farmers feed chickens, (males in 1 large run and females in another) he would toss it out on the kennel floor by hand. He would say when his males would start fighting, i guess your not hungry and stop feeding. Would feed again next day and if they fought, no food again. Soon after they stopped fighting cuz they realized if they fought they would not get food. His philosophy was if they would fight they actually wernt really that hungry.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)