ok so I am trying lol

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mo. Beagler 5000

Re: ok so I am trying lol

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

My biggest concern is your measurement utensil.. An official measurement tool will have the drop down piece the just crosses the withers. One of those pics looks like the skin is being pushed up too much. Are you 100/% sure the stick is 15 at the base and the head is held too high up.

If it is then your gonna measure out at all the big hunts and at clubs where someone really cares about your dog. (i.e. if it wins alot :D ) j/k

Most clubs will measure your dog however you walk it through honestly... I asked a few times to have my dog correctly measured and it takes up a lot of time to get the dog just right. So I say take it to a club and have it measured by someone who you KNOW has a good track record of measuring dogs and then have it measured by another person a little while later.

Its really the only way to tell...
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Oh also make sure the official measurment stand is set directly on 15. Every so often they come loose and dog a quarter inch or so and that could make you measure out.

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

You're close, the stand needs to move up towards his head a touch.

Release his head and just let it be normal.
You can put your hand on the front of his chest to steady him.

Withers: If you feel in between his shoulder blades, you'll feel vertebrae.
(This is the withers)
It also lines up with his front legs.

If he has a thick coat or excess fat, you might have to put a little pressure on the bar over his withers.

Being heavy he still might be able to lose 1/4" ??

LPB

FreeHoller40

Post by FreeHoller40 »

well the reason he looks so heavy lol is because I had just fed him... I am goin to take him to a trial this saturday and try to get him in should I cut back on his feed a good bit? Oh and Toby I live in Lexington, VA
MAKING RABBIT HATERS!!!

Visit Us:
http://www.cottonmouthbeagles.webs.com
~GRHBCH CH COTTONMOUTH'S RAGIN' CAJUN RUGER~
~GRHBCH CH CK'S HARE RAISIN' WHISKEY~
~HBCH CK'S BLACKBERRY MOONSHINE~

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:Oh also make sure the official measurment stand is set directly on 15. Every so often they come loose and dog a quarter inch or so and that could make you measure out.
If I'm reading this right that is not the correct way to measure a dog!! You are to walk the dog under the stand they then adjust the dog and drop the bar then tighten it and put the measure on it! Its not supposed to be preset!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Quit posing him he aint won yet, lol. Also as a dog gets older they get smaller not that it matters now but like others have said measure in a natural stance not a pose stance and he does not look big to me. If he is its by a hair.I do however think its good to get others input and maybe we can all figure it out. I know of a few that the owners better get to beating on em with a stand as they are clearly big, its gonna get interesting. ;)
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Mo. Beagler 5000

johns03272008 wrote:
Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:Oh also make sure the official measurment stand is set directly on 15. Every so often they come loose and dog a quarter inch or so and that could make you measure out.
If I'm reading this right that is not the correct way to measure a dog!! You are to walk the dog under the stand they then adjust the dog and drop the bar then tighten it and put the measure on it! Its not supposed to be preset!!

You are reading it right... I know that is how it is SUPPOSED to be done but not one time over 25 trials has it ever once been loosened unless there was a question raised cause a dog was over 15. most dogs are so obviously under 15 doing it that way must be too time consuming. They only loosen it AFTER a dog can't get under the bar thing to make sure its over 15.

I could really care less how they do it because my dogs are mostly 13 to 14 inches and none are remotely close to measuring out... I have honestly only seen 1 dog in that time period measure out and the guy knew it was over so he just laughed and put his dog up.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

This may have been said, but a hound will lose about a half an inch or so after a couple hours of running. I am assuming this is do to muscle fatigue?

PrideHillKennel

Post by PrideHillKennel »

40-- we have talked back and forth a bunch now. You are just as close with yours as I am with his littlemate. I am not even going to offer advice because I too am no expert and still learning. If you figure out how to get your to measure every time please let me know. I hate to say it but I think you are over with most people that would measure around here. Remember he has another month before he can be offically measured i think. At least in NKC. Dont they have to be a year old, but puppies have to be measured also. Good luck. Would love to get the brothers together some time. We are only 2.5 hours or so appart. Brock
LpGrRch LpGrBch Pride Hill Blue Boy
LpGrRch Pride Hill Drive On Crockett
LpGrRch Pride Hill Ribbon
LpRch PHK June Bug
LpRch PHK Misty

goodpickens

Post by goodpickens »

Pridehill, would love to see a pic of your male. I have a female out of that litter. It would be nice to keep up with the rest, especially as they approach trialing age.

PrideHillKennel

Post by PrideHillKennel »

goodpickens

You have PM. Hows yours measure?? Also how is she doing.. Brock
LpGrRch LpGrBch Pride Hill Blue Boy
LpGrRch Pride Hill Drive On Crockett
LpGrRch Pride Hill Ribbon
LpRch PHK June Bug
LpRch PHK Misty

FreeHoller40

Post by FreeHoller40 »

Yea Pride any time you want to go just say it and will hit it... :check:
MAKING RABBIT HATERS!!!

Visit Us:
http://www.cottonmouthbeagles.webs.com
~GRHBCH CH COTTONMOUTH'S RAGIN' CAJUN RUGER~
~GRHBCH CH CK'S HARE RAISIN' WHISKEY~
~HBCH CK'S BLACKBERRY MOONSHINE~

jumpNrun

Post by jumpNrun »

free holler and pridehill i was wondering if i could get some info on your males thr i have a littermate male out of this cross who is a real nice dog not quite as bg as yours and he red n white very good jumpdog and fast line control very pleased with this hound! hes goin up north this week with me to run some hare! send me some info if you can thanks.
LpGrch Lpbch Smith's Blue Goose 1st 2012 Il state hunt-1st 2013 Indiana state hunt-2nd 2013 Grand Nationals- Best of show In State
Lprch Hbch Smith's Blue Moon
Lprch Smith's Rolling Sweet Lucy (RIP)

goodpickens

Post by goodpickens »

Here's a pic of my gyp out of this cross. So far all I've heard is good things from this litter. Image

hookset

Post by hookset »

jumpNrun wrote:free holler and pridehill i was wondering if i could get some info on your males thr i have a littermate male out of this cross who is a real nice dog not quite as bg as yours and he red n white very good jumpdog and fast line control very pleased with this hound! hes goin up north this week with me to run some hare! send me some info if you can thanks.
Your pup is out of a different litter, but close to the same breeding. Goodpickens has a bluetick out of that litter too.