scenting conditions

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

M&M BEAGLES

scenting conditions

Post by M&M BEAGLES »

for the best scenting conditions if you were to go by the barometer would it be hi or low,or if you were going by the humidity would it be high or low. I have seen somedays it can be wet and the dogs have a hard time scenting,and somedays it seems like it is a little dry but the dogs scent realy good. :?:

PrideHillKennel

Re: scenting conditions

Post by PrideHillKennel »

I have heard people with a lot more experience than myself say that senting is best with a Falling Barometer or a steady Barometer that holds the scent closer to the ground. Had a fellow tell me to watch the wood smoke if it is being pushed back towards the ground the Barometer is falling and if it is hanging at the same elevation with out a breeze it is holding steady, and to not expect great running when the smoke is being pulled strait up. I too have had days that you would think the dogs should just pound and they struggle, and days that you dont expect much and they pound the whole time??
LpGrRch LpGrBch Pride Hill Blue Boy
LpGrRch Pride Hill Drive On Crockett
LpGrRch Pride Hill Ribbon
LpRch PHK June Bug
LpRch PHK Misty

BCBeagles

Re: scenting conditions

Post by BCBeagles »

My guess would be, after discussions on this same topic with my brother, rising pressure with relatively high humidity. Looking at it that rising pressure would "hold scent" lower for an extended period and higher humidity would keep it strong longer. That is my theory anyway!! LOL I may be backwards on this, but it sounds good!!!