Hare Hunting Drummond Island

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

2barrel

Hare Hunting Drummond Island

Post by 2barrel »

How's the hare population on Drummond Island? Going up in two weeks. Just Looking for info.

littlewoody

Re: Hare Hunting Drummond Island

Post by littlewoody »

Ask Reddog 1.
TheJohnBirchSociety

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

The population was good in September. We only got four, so I don't know after that. probably good though. :D
Run to catch!!!

wvrh31

Post by wvrh31 »

BTT

barryc

Post by barryc »

The hare population will remain good if we all act like sportsmen and help preserve things on the island! That means only shooting what you are going to eat, like 1 or 2. But since your asking this publicly, the hare population sucks this year!

Spruce Ridge Beagler

Post by Spruce Ridge Beagler »

Why shoot any at all ? Its like chewing on a juniper or cedar branch.
SUCCESS- When preparation and opportunity cross paths!

j243whitetail

Post by j243whitetail »

I go up every year for a week. We only shoot a couple so that one of the last days there we can have hare for supper. I have yet to see the need to take pictures of tailgates full of rabbits, no matter where I am hunting.
"Real dogs work for a living"
All Bawls Kennels

2barrel

Post by 2barrel »

Thanks, for the information NorthernHare. Just a little excited about the trip.

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

I have been going to drummond for the past 12 years and i think the population is down, Ilike to hear my dogs run so we only try to get three or four each year. I have heard of some hunters getting 30 to 70 rabbits in a week, i think this kind of actions is un called for. If you want to keep the rabbits on the island to enjoy cut back on your kill. There is no way they are going to last with all the preasure that is being but on them every day of the season.We go up in september the first full week of season, and i seen more hunters their this year than all other times put together, that shows the preasure is on. JUST ENJOY THE SOUND OF THE MUSIC. Reformed, used to kill all i good get, not their any more nothing to hear or enjoy. GOD BLESS

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

I think there is a good population.The last 7 years i think I have killed 5. Love to hear the hounds run and my thing is videoing the races, wish I could get the whole thing. Also like I have said the road walkers have done the plains in, you have to go deep to get them. Have heard that the Glen Cove area is full of Wolves and some fellaws have lost hounds there.

2barrel

Post by 2barrel »

Thanks, for the information gentlemen. This will be my second trip. Last trip I shot one hare in three days.........I seem to of struck a nerve on killing rabbits. I personally hunt rabbits most days with a 22 cal. rifle, but lets start a new post on this subject. I'm interested on this subject. Look for new post.

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

If glen cove is full of wolves now the rest of the island will be soon when they get the food supply cleaned up out their they will move. Maybe someone on the island will get with the DNR and move them somewhere else. I HOPE SO.

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

:) :) :cool: :lol: :lol: :mad: :biggrin: :approve:

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

There are wolves every where but Glen Cove is a big bad place that most people don't want to go into. The road hunting is easier.

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

Spent 4 days on the island and it was fun, but nothing like I had heard. Not near the amount of hare I expected. Hunting pressure and/or predators may have taken a toll. Seems there is a good population of birds however.We flushed grouse and woodcock at every drop.