The Old Timers May Understand

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

hounddog

Re: The Old Timers May Understand

Post by hounddog »

Simply put.........I "understand." I'm 53 and been there, done that and still doing it!

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

augerhead

Post by augerhead »

Im 48 years old and have been running beagles for about 30 yeas or so I run on the the average about 3-5 times a week while raising 3 kids and working full time. The ony time off is deer season, I love it. It almost cost me my wife, glad she came to her senses. lol But I dont think you really understand what Buck is saying. I know Buck well, he gets after me all the time if I have somthing to do and cant run dogs. Im not talking about excuses Im talking work, weddings, company at my house, anything that prevents me from being in the woods. This mans LIFE is beagles,
not his hobby or love his LIFE. WE live in Mi -10 degrees 30 mile an hour wind 12" of snow, havnt seen a rabbit track in 2 days, buck is hunting.I would bet that he averages 350 days a year no joke!!!! Even when he knows there is no chance of having a race he will still be out there. Its not about having good running to him its just going, turning them loose! I like to pick at the old boy but in my opinion he is a one of a kind when it comes to running dogs. I knew one other man in my that lived it like buck but he passed a few years back. These kind of people are rare, And I agree with Buck when he's gone a big part of beagling goes with him.

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

Aw shucks Augerhead, I ain't that crazy. Remember when I had that hemorrhoid operation? When the blood would spurt out my butt, I could kill a rabbit at 20 feet away. Kinda embarrassing with people around. I took a day off that time when my first wife died too. Got in the woods later that night though.

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

there used to be a cafe called the greasy spoon we all met at every sat morn i live in a small town shhot the breeze hour are so split up and hit the briar patch i dont like hunting with alot of dogs we usally had 6-8 but one day we all ended up at one place and had 36 hounds they all finally got on one swamper togather and that was one of best memories there were 9 of us and those old men was a ooping saying better than hank williams and better than wine my old hound is making the pack shine :lol:

bucks better beagles

Rabbitsmoker: Good story. I can just see the old fellas whooping it up. That is what it is all about.

tnbeagler21

Post by tnbeagler21 »

im 14 and i am the way you say you used to be

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Ther you go i knew ther was still some real little rabbit hunters

Bryantsville Beagler

Post by Bryantsville Beagler »

I am 17 and run anywhere from 5-6 days a week sometimes morning and night during the summer, the only time the dogs catch a break is during baseball and dad picks up the slack lol
J&D's Kennel
Jeff & Dylan Hill

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Love these stories..I am glad that there are people passionate about this sport so it doesn't die out...
I would rather hunt my beagles then almost nearly any other leisure activity but still running hounds comes in a DISTANT 3rd to:

1. My family
2 My church
3. My students
4. my human friends

other than its RABBIT FEVER :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

RiverBottom

Post by RiverBottom »

I've got this disease also. I was born with it. As a kid I spent all my time in the woods with a dog. Never had many friends. Never could stand being in town or being around lots of people. I've pissed away more time and money on these hounds than I care to think about. I'm not proud of it.

Somehow, I ended up with a great family and I am just smart enough to know that they are far more important than any dog. I try hard to hold down a real job and spend time with my family.

And yet, I've learned that if I go too long without spending time running my hounds somewhere without people, it affects my personality and even my health in ways that are not good. It's one of those things that are good long as you don't overdo it.
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

bucks better beagles

It is great to hear the young guys tell of their passion. Over the years, I have seen a lot of young men grow up in the woods with me. I give them dogs, lights, harnesses, houses, guns, or whatever they may need but may not be able to afford. I think I liked doing it as much as them. Sadly, as in "Puff the Magic Dragon", they grew up and generally left the sport. I still see them and share stories with them and their kids.

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

I met Bucks Better Beagles roughly a year ago. I met him through a mutual friend. I had a dog that I was looking to sell and found out that he liked to buy , sell , trade , run and talk dogs. I'm sure glad to have met him. I have ran with him several times now and enjoyed every minute. I've sold him a couple dogs, have traded with him and he has even given me a couple homemade dog boxes, one of which I modified and use now. Thanks again Buck.

Buck is all about this sport of running hounds. A true houndsman. He has many hours in the field and many stories to tell. I like to hear them old stories about dogs, and friends from his past. He's even shared some old poems / songs he wrote about running dogs. The man is very talented. It has been my pleasure getting to know ole' Buck . I hope to continue to run with him for a long time.

bucks better beagles

Wireman, you are going to give me the big head, now. Possibly ruin my reputation. It is great to have someone like you to run with and listen to an old man's stories.

Bradh

Post by Bradh »

I guess for me you could say it's in the blood I don't consider it a sickness for me it's a way of life.