Why does it stay in your kennel?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Gunslinger Beagles

Re: Why does it stay in your kennel?

Post by Gunslinger Beagles »

breeding your own is the way to go. i dont care if you inbreed, linebreed, outcross with a cat.LOL that is a joke.LOL the way to go is raise your own. good post 5000

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Amen to that raising your own i have owned beagles for 30 years and raised a few a time or 2 But for the past 31/2 years i raised my own i am in the 3rd generation now and have been more satisfied

Gunslinger Beagles

Post by Gunslinger Beagles »

rabbit smoker, i used to raise my own when my dad was alive and healthy and it was very satisfing. i got away from it for a several years now but im doing that again. got a litter of pups to be born april 1st and im looking forward to that again. IMO it is the way to go. and you know what u got.

BunnyBuster12

Post by BunnyBuster12 »

Thanks for the replies and I agree with raising your own. Purchasing dogs sucks in my opinion. Once a dog is over a year I believe it is not for me. I enjoy watching a pup make it happen or not make it happen. I always hope for the best and let the proverbial chips fall where they may. A bunch of people need to cull and accept the fact that they are culling and not pawn crap off on other people. I personally like nose with speed and hunt. My pet peeve is bad kennel manners and that will get a dog a new home in a heart beat.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

i never been one to care bout kennel manners cuz water and shocking takes care of it quick

i like hunt and check work!!!!
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

jlboomer

Post by jlboomer »

well i don't think im as picky as i used to be 10 or 15yrs ago. i really have only a few things that matter alot and that is a dog must hunt hard, handle good and be able to bring the rabbit around to the gun and not run trash. now i'll give some on the handling if they have really good hunt for example i have a male here who is 8yrs old now some days i could kill him others wouldn't take anything for him. i raised him he's from my line hunts really hard and will hunt all day and one heck of a gundog his faults he's hard headed and can be tight mouthed but man when he's right he is right .

run what you like and don't make it to much like work cause once the fun is gone its gone
J&M Beagles, Breeding for a true gundog and hunting partner

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

Mo. Beagler5000 writes "my pup mya is gonna be in the annals of rabbit dogs that you wish were in your kennel one day so i figure i'll breed her instead of buying anymore dogs ok i exaggerate but she is a good friggen'.

Thanks, a good and honest post !!!

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I have 5 and 4 will die here maybe all 5. 1 has earned being carried out several times she will be 11 next month and she still is a heck of a hound,she puts all she got into a day,and then some.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

cjcocodrie

Post by cjcocodrie »

I have lots of examples of hounds that I owned - and this is a great question, because I'm just not sure what it was about some of them - like this memory of one from the early 70s, that I just put in a letter today to a beagling friend today. This hound was part of our kennel for many years and although he was not the one someone once referred to in saying I put I could put one leash on my best & my worst hound.... it would have fit him. Cuss him, and be ready to kill him often but then there were those times when he redeemed himself tenfold. I owned lots of clean, "good enuff" hounds who hunted well, stayed off the trash and brought more rabbits than I want to account to the Lord for to my gun. But now I seem to remember the others - like this one:
"I had one once that absolutely had no bottom - the only problem was he was a hard-head and smart to boot. When you let him out of the truck you had to head the opposite way of where you wanted to hunt or he'd get as much distance between you & him as he could in case you thought you might just make a short hunt... darn good jump dog too - so soon the whole pack would be over with him - he always struck first and didn't have a lie in him! After he run for a couple hours he'd handle fine until we wanted to leave the field. At first we couldn't say the word "truck" or head back towards it unless we had him already caught... later we couldn't even spell it in his presence!
We ran him with FC Moore's Greenbriar Dan and they both "hogged" a line. One day I watched them coming at breakneck speed and they were honestly shouldering one another off as best they could! I expected the first turn the rabbit made to have them both overrun the line ridiculously, but that rabbit came out to a game trail and made a complete right dodge - a minute or less later Dan & Goldman hit that trail and didn't bauble at all. It was a very narrow track but they made it wider that day running side by side. One of the most amazing pieces of houndwork I have ever been privileged to see.
If his intention was to run Dan to the ground he certainly could. He was bigger, stronger and had the great conformation of a speedster. Dan would "lag" after a full days hunt when Goldman was just getting started.
He also was a terrible trash runner when rabbits were thin. I hated it, but several of our hunting party were thrilled to kill wild boar, coons, of course deer, and birds with him. I imagine in the frontier days he would have been called a "meat hound". He was going to run something! But I never saw him leave a track for another - if a deer got up in front of him while he was running a rabbit he wouldn't quit the rabbit. One time he had a coon treed and was tearing debris at the base of the tree apart when out darted a half grown rabbit. I swear he made one mad dash - caught the rabbit and returned to the tree to continue baying at the coon! I didn't want to shoot the coon - I had only one shot in a .410 and I was afraid he'd come down injured and mad so I was trying to snap a lead on Goldman at the time the whole thing occurred and left me speechless.
He wore a collar for years that said "I'm a hard-headed, trash running SOB, but my mama loves me -please call " with my phone number. And we drove miles retrieving him after someone would call.
I believe that he was why shock collars were invented!
But there was another side to him that was purely inexplicable. He loved puppies. Whenever we took puppies to the field he appointed himself their guardian. Let one get a little lost and howl and Goldman would rush off to the rescue, leading them back patiently. We broke all of them to lead with his coupler, he kept the little boogers coming or he just dragged them right on! Once he had them going he never let them get tangled - always put himself on the same side of an obstacle as they had chosen... something he didn't do with his adult packmates - in fact I think then he tried to see how hung up they could get on the off chance that might gain him his freedom again!
A memorable hound that finally just disappeared from the kennel one day while we were at work. Several other dogs were in the same run and they were still there. Gate was still locked with a combination lock and the pen was not covered but had an overhang to prevent climbing. All we could figure was someone climbed over and got him, then climbed out.
I advertised to no avail."

So to answer your question - I don't know, but sometimes the one you should value least comes to mean the most, apparently.
Just me talkin'
CJ

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

Hunt, desire, nose , speed. Everything else the handler is responsible for. Handling and kennel manners is on you. Desire is the key in my mind you cant teach it you cant shock it in them they've got it or they dont. A dog with desire will make up for lacking in other areas just on want to alone.
Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.

Fleetwood

Post by Fleetwood »

Amen mobeagle, that is the truth. Good post.

chascmp

Post by chascmp »

MUST be an ATHLETE, if the hound is an athlete i WILL find his faults and decide then if tolerable. Just started buying into beagles 3 years ago after running / field trialing running walkers for 25+ years of my 46 here on this earth. i have been to couple states looking/trying/listening to beagles that were supposdely the REAL deal, have not found one that suits me yet. they all have FAULTS.

Must have for me:
1.)Heart 2.)Speed 3.)Hustle 4.)Hunt

Must not:
1.)Babble 2.)Quit 3.)Be Ugly (lol)

The two things i have learned about beagles:

1.) It is ALOT more diffcult to get a GOOD beagle than it is to get a GREAT fox/coyote hound
2.) People that are buying beagles 85% will NOT show up (Sold field trial walkers all over nation and NEVER had a buyer not show up and buy hound when he told me he was coming)

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Reason my hound is still staying at my place. Last night he ran a doe rabbit, the run wasn't great, but it did last for almost two hrs. There were some breakdowns, but he picked it right back up and continued to run the rabbit. I'm sure it was a doe rabbit, it was a small bunny, but it wasn't a baby. It never circled at all, the rabbit would cross over its own tracks and head north, after Moe figured what she did, he got it going again and the rabbit then would dart back over its own tracks again. It's really muddy here and I seen tons of tracks crossing over themselves. He finally lost her down near a pit, but for what the rabbit did to him, he kept it going and figured out with his brains on what she done over and over again. Strong Nose, and tons of Brains means TOUGH DOG!!! This dog isn't a barn burner, when he hunts and searches for a rabbit, he will walk around checking every briar, or patches that he can find. He does kick it up when the rabbit is up, but still isn't fast. I like him cause he remains in control. He's also patient when the rabbit starts to do all the tricks.

Thats why He's gonna die in my kennel.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

Thought about this on a recent hare hunt. As dumb as it sounds, simple 'It must please me'.

Though there are traits that will earn a hound a ticket out of here. barking on dogs, excessive babbling, no hunt, s@^t eating, and total out of control (not knowing what a check is).
Beagling is not a science, just an opinion!

Yang

Post by Yang »

I feed my hounds because they show me how special they are.