Running a Rabbit Silent?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SilverZuk

Re: Running a Rabbit Silent?

Post by SilverZuk »

Keep running him, he should open more as he gets older.
If not, he is a cull.
There is little use to a rabbit dog that doesn't give tongue during the chase.
I've had some that didn't mouth much at that age, as they got older they started using their mouth correctly.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Drive close to where the dogs are running and tie him out and leave him. When the other dogs come running close, he'll fight to get loose and will open plenty. After a while, turn him loose when they come by. Repeat until you get the amount of mouth you want.

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

sunsetredbeagles wrote:i have a hound that i know when she is on tract by her behavior and motions but will not open until the rabbit is up she is very mouthy runs hard,but when there is a loss she will go back silent until the rabbit is up again.She is 11/2 old and i have put alot of time and effort into her sometimes it is frustrating to see this but i feel she will be a good dog for me just not sure if she will break the habbit (if it is a habbit).Any advice trying to help with this would be great.
nothing wrong with that all my dogs do that thats the way i like them to do tooi cant stand a mouthy dogs boo hooing all over the place before the rabbit is jumped if its a hot track its ok to open and shut up in a check jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT