What to do-What to do

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

old blood beagles

What to do-What to do

Post by old blood beagles »

Guys, I was out running this past weekend and I ran into some trouble. My hounds were running so fast that they started too set fire to grass under their feet. I kept taking my boot and stomping out the fire but the bottom of my sole burned off. So I went back home and got a 5 gallon bucket of water and had to carry it around with me. After a couple of hours of running back and forth from the house getting more water to put the fires out, I got wore out. So I then took a 1 inch log chain and tied it to a concrete block and attached it to my hounds. This helped for awhile but when my hounds went between a tree fork the block got stuck and my hounds pulled so hard that they broke the chain.

You guys got any thoughts on how to slow down my hounds?
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Last edited by old blood beagles on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bowling's Old Blood Beagles
BOBB's Line of Hounds
Selective breeding of Old Branko "NINJA"/Ranger Dan = BOBB's Line

Casey Harner

Re: What to do-What to do

Post by Casey Harner »

old blood beagles wrote:Guys, I was out running this past weekend and I ran into some trouble. My hounds were running so fast that they started too set fire to grass under their feet. I kept taking my boot and stomping out the fire but the bottom of my sole burned off. So I went back home and got a 5 gallon bucket of water and had to carry it around with me. After a couple of hours of running back and forth from the house getting more water to put the fires out, I got wore out. So I then took a 1 inch long chain and tied it to a concrete block and attached it to my hounds. This helped for awhile but when my hounds went between a tree fork the block got stuck and my hounds pulled so hard that they broke the chain.

How about you tell us what really happened! Start to finish, go!
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

scootersjill

Post by scootersjill »

Had same problem last fall only solution i could come up with was to run on very wet days,it helped some, but if you run with windy buddies it seems to fuel the fires. :biggrin:
skillet creek jammin jill RIP
skillet creek suzie Q
D-N-J"s Hammerin Hannah
Mike's Sunrise Scooter

old blood beagles

You got me Harners Hounds, it was 2 five gallon buckets. My arms are still hurting. :biggrin:
BOBB's Line of Hounds

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

old blood beagles wrote:You got me Harners Hounds, it was 2 five gallon buckets. My arms
are still hurting. :biggrin:

Yeah but when the buckets are filled with BS, it truly is hard to pack.
:lol:
Last edited by Casey Harner on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

You forgot to put in that when they came into a hard check you had to give two Oxygen masks as they worked thru the smoke and flames!! LOL. Keep burnin' it up!!!

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

old blood beagles wrote:Guys, I was out running this past weekend and I ran into some trouble. My hounds were running so fast that they started too set fire to grass under their feet. I kept taking my boot and stomping out the fire but the bottom of my sole burned off. So I went back home and got a 5 gallon bucket of water and had to carry it around with me. After a couple of hours of running back and forth from the house getting more water to put the fires out, I got wore out. So I then took a 1 inch long chain and tied it to a concrete block and attached it to my hounds. This helped for awhile but when my hounds went between a tree fork the block got stuck and my hounds pulled so hard that they broke the chain.

Hey Duane, I know how to make them slow down. Just put them with mine and when they burn their feet trying to keep up with mine they will just give up. :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad you are having some good running. We have to hook up. Did Central open this past weekend?

Travis & Dio the dog

Post by Travis & Dio the dog »

with b.s. as deep as that those hounds should be well above the grass under it :D :D :D... have to addmit though that was good thinkin to come up with that :D :D

old blood beagles

Boys thats not the half of it. When my hounds finally broke down after 20 hours of non-stop running on one bunny without any checks, I tied them up to the front bumper of my 3/4 ton ford pickup truck. I jumped in the front seat of the truck just to get another cig and drink of coffee and about the time I got that cup to my lips out jumped another rabbit. Those two 12 3/4 inch hounds pulled that truck causing me to burn my upper lip with that coffee and dropping my cig in the floor board. After reaching down and picking up that cig I noticed that I was traveling 55 MPH without the truck even on. So I put my foot as hard on the brake as I could. After about 30 miles of traveling my rubber on the tires were gone my brakes are shot and they even wore down the metal on my rims until there were nothing left but the lug nuts.

I need some help with these hounds boys! :bomb: :bomb:
What can I do to prevent this thing from happening again? :censored:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
BOBB's Line of Hounds

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

old blood beagles wrote:Boys thats not the half of it. When my hounds finally broke down after 20 hours of non-stop running on one bunny without any checks, I tied them up to the front bumper of my 3/4 ton ford pickup truck. I jumped in the front seat of the truck just to get another cig and drink of coffee and about the time I got that cup to my lips out jumped another rabbit. Those two 12 3/4 inch hounds pulled that truck causing me to burn my upper lip with that coffee and dropping my cig in the floor board. After reaching down and picking up that cig I noticed that I was traveling 55 MPH without the truck even on. So I put my foot as hard on the brake as I could. After about 30 miles of traveling my rubber on the tires were gone my brakes are shot and they even wore down the metal on my rims until there were nothing left but the lug nuts.

Well get a Chevy and that crap won't happen.

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

old blood beagles wrote:Boys thats not the half of it. When my hounds finally broke down after 20 hours of non-stop running on one bunny without any checks, I tied them up to the front bumper of my 3/4 ton ford pickup truck. I jumped in the front seat of the truck just to get another cig and drink of coffee and about the time I got that cup to my lips out jumped another rabbit. Those two 12 3/4 inch hounds pulled that truck causing me to burn my upper lip with that coffee and dropping my cig in the floor board. After reaching down and picking up that cig I noticed that I was traveling 55 MPH without the truck even on. So I put my foot as hard on the brake as I could. After about 30 miles of traveling my rubber on the tires were gone my brakes are shot and they even wore down the metal on my rims until there were nothing left but the lug nuts.

I don't know about you Duane :???:

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Must be the best dream you have had since your first wet dream!!!!!!!

scootersjill

Post by scootersjill »

Ky. Hunter wrote:

I don't know about you Duane :???:
this guy comes on here askin for some advice and everyone :bash: him as if he is exaggeratin or something. :ashamed:
skillet creek jammin jill RIP
skillet creek suzie Q
D-N-J"s Hammerin Hannah
Mike's Sunrise Scooter

Chimney Rock Kennel

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

I keep my dogs feet coupled together in the summer time to keep that from happening. I run on strip mines where there is alot of cercia and when it gets on fire it's a mess. It works best if you couple there front feet together and back feet together, if you try coupling 1 front foot to 1 back foot it causes them to trip and fall alot.
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star

Tim H

Post by Tim H »

I don't think anyone is :bash: him for exaggerating just for posting like a typical beagle run is something to post about. Yea, my dogs run rabbits too, now post about something we haven't seen, that's all. ;)
"Watch your dog and SHUT-UP"