What's your favorite rabbit gun.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bluecollar beagler

Re: What's your favorite rabbit gun.

Post by bluecollar beagler »

remington lt-20 special field with the french stock and 21in barrel... :D

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Winchester 1300 12ga with 24 inch barrel .
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

da ridgetop

Post by da ridgetop »

winchester ranger 20gauge 28 inch modified because all the misses have been shot out of it :biggrin:
Donald
Take a ride on the SHORTBUS

barryc

Post by barryc »

TC Contender with a 16" barrel baby!!!!

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

i use a 20 ga. remington express with improved cyl drilled out use to use a 870 wingmaster 12 ga 28 in barell modyfyed choke it is alot heavier than the 20 express with the 20 i can lay it in back of my truck n move to other spots n not worry too much about scratching it my 12 wingmaster is one of the older ones with the silver spoon n no choke tubes just straight mod choke they both will do the trick if i decide to killl one but very seldom kill a rabbit unless i go up to my camp then i will pour it on them rabbits up there runs alot different than the ones here i dont belive they ever get run much less shot at the rabbits will run forever before seeking a hole its tuff running in ritchie county old grown up farms thats got alot of multiflora rose bushes n they are hard on a dog n hard on me too they will cut ya to shreds jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

slade

Post by slade »

i use to carry a browning uplander in a 20ga. but since i hike back in some time on snow shoes i picked up a H&R in a 20ga. with composit stocks for some reason this little bugger is like an extention of my arms as i shoot better with it than all my other shotguns. i painted the metal work a flat green. these guns seem to rust real easy and the paint took care of that.

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

I use Thompson Center's Contender pistol 45/410 most of the time. When holstered it frees up both hands to handle dogs easier. But when I'm serious about putting one inthe bag, which isn't very often, I use my Mossberg 410 pump. We run cottontails here in lower Michigan and 410 is perfect size. Anything else is usually too much gun for me , seems to damage too much of the meat.

briarshakersdaddy

Post by briarshakersdaddy »

1956 Remington Pump 870 Wingmaster 20 gage Modified bore. Use to be rough in the rain back before they made plastic shells. Old Paper shells would swell up in the rain and were hard to get out of the chamber. Cost a Whoping $49.95 brand new in 56 when my dad bought it. Been a whole lot of rabbits Killed with it the last 54 years. Owned a lot of guns over the years but it still is my favorite rabbit gun.
send me pedigrees

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

I like 410 pistol makes it fun not knockin anyone who uses a 12 but imo you gotta be good with a 410 and 20 anybody can hit a rabbit with a gun 3 times bigger than what you really need lol

HAREHOUND

Post by HAREHOUND »

stoger double barrel .410 coach gun.

vongrubin

Post by vongrubin »

mossberg youth model 20 ga,super light,easy to shoulder when u bundled up.bought for my son when he gets old enuff but he gonna have to find a diff gun 8)

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

When hunting in a group I carry my Tri-Tronics..........

Most of the time I hunt by myself with my 8 and 9 year old boys. I prefer the Ruger 10/22 with Tasco 2.5 fixed power scope. Hope the scenting is not that good if I want to kill a limit.

In 3 more years the boys will be carrying the guns, and I will resort back to my Tri-Tronics........ :biggrin:

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

271rockridge

Post by 271rockridge »

Remington 1100 28 gauge imp. cyl. winchester super x with 1oz of #6 shot just like a 20 gauge but lighter
ROCKRIDGE KENNEL---LOAD TO WIN---RUN TO CATCH

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

Good Topic

My weapon of choice has changed over the years.

As a teen...I liked my Ithaca 37 pump 16ga with #6 shot.

In my 20's I liked my Mossburg 500 pump .410 with #4 shot.

Now, in my 30's hunting alone i prefer my Ruger 10/22.
With others along I grab the .410

LPB

george pirman

Post by george pirman »

That Ithaca 37 pump feather weight sure was a popular shot gun. I purchased mine in 1959 for $83.00 from Sears. I believe I still have the receit. It is a 12ga as here in Michigan we had a few pheasants that you had to reach out for and also hunting Hare requires a little more gun. I think I used that gun until maybe 1984's when I purchased a Reminton Special Field 21" barrel 20ga 4 shot autoload with english stock. It comes up real quick for both cottontail and ruffed grouse or woodcock. For the last 10 years I have been using a little .410 side x side double for cottontail hunting and have quit waisting shells by shooting at ruffed grouse or woodcock. Duck hunting will still take me back to the Ithaca 37 pump. George